food for thought....

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by acjohnson53, Nov 9, 2017.

1. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

2. Symthrell

Symthrell Registered User

Those are some of the truest words I have ever read!

3. David612

David612 Registered User

It’s a nice picture and sounds like a deep question but I don’t think it really means anything.

4. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Really? So if the nicest guy in town beats his family behind closed doors, it doesn’t mean anything? His character stands in your eyes? Wow...

5. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Abusers are extremely secretive. If my ex-wife had not drunk dialed my family to apologize for beating me, they would not have found out until I called them with my new address when I escaped. Back then only a few of the Brothers at lodge knew what I was going through. They helped me prepare to escape and when the time came they helped me move out.

Most of my ex's friends to this day think she's the nicest party girl in town. hey have no idea what happens behind closed doors.

HoldenMonty likes this.
  6. Brother JC

My point exactly.
    I’m sorry for your experience, Brother Doug.

7. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Wow. Sorry to hear that brother!

Sent from my SM-G386T using My Freemasonry mobile app

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Same here!

9. SCStrong

SCStrong Registered User

I can't see how one could think that ...... The statement totally encapsulates what character is.
    Just curious - are you a Mason?

Brother, sorry to hear of your experience. Glad you escaped. Best of luck going forward.

10. David612

David612 Registered User

Yes I am a mason and really you think that is the measure of a man? What he does when no ones around? What he does in public is less than his other works? Hypothetically Gahndi for example amazing things but was awful to his wife and MLK would habitually cheat on his wife.
    The meme is very simplistic and a life spent trying to improve oneself can’t be summarised in a quip. In my opinion
    Look into those examples for yourself as I’m no historian and there is a bit of controversy around them how true they are I have no idea but good food for thought.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  11. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Now decades ago. Long enough ago that I evangelize abuse victims to escape as a way to repay those who helped me in my time of need back then.

12. Brother JC

@David612 Given your hypothetical scenarios my opinion of those men would drop quickly. Sure, they did good, but their character would be forever tarnished in my eyes.
    Andrew Jackson is a good example.

tldubb and SCStrong like this.
  13. Bro-greg

Bro-greg Registered User

Brother what town are you from

14. SCStrong

SCStrong Registered User

15. SCStrong

SCStrong Registered User

Florence.

Bro-greg likes this.
  16. David612

David612 Registered User

Thing is from what I have read the above is true but again I haven’t studied it hard enough to be 100% confident saying its fact, my point is that what makes a man is not what he does in private but rather it’s the sum of his actions in all arenas, no man is flawless but a mason should try to be.

17. Brother JC

Jackson’s actually a poor example as his crimes against humanity are well documented.
    Let us say that a man of a duplicitous nature is probably of lower character overall.

David612 and SCStrong like this.
  18. SCStrong

SCStrong Registered User

So for me, the question comes to mind.......... can a man change his character?

19. David612

David612 Registered User

I would say character can change gradually over time and experience, it’s a persistent mindset and this can’t come from an external source.

20. Bro-greg

Bro-greg Registered User

I live in Columbia but hail froM Goodhop lodge 376 Hemingway SC

SCStrong likes this.

Share My Freemasonry