My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France's return to the fold.

bjdeverell

Premium Member
I heard that the UGLE has decided to reestablish full Recognition with the Grande Loge Nationale Française. Does anyone know what concessions were made on the part of our French Brethren that appeased the UGLE to allow Recognition again? Also, even though most Regular GL's follow the lead of the UGLE in regards to Recognition; what is the current relationship status between your GL and the GLNF? Our Fraternity has always faced problems with our French Brothers, hopefully it holds together this time.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
I'm not too sure what you're trying to imply. There were no concessions, the GLNF has just returned to practising regular Freemasonry.

You will easily find the details all around the Internet regarding why recognition was removed in the first place.

bjdeverell

Premium Member
I wasn't trying to imply anything. I was only wanting to know the details of what was done to make things right again after all of the political dabbling in which the GM had been involved and whatnot. If no concessions or general changes had to be made, then how is it that they returned to practicing Regular Freemasonry?

MarkR

Premium Member
I wasn't trying to imply anything. I was only wanting to know the details of what was done to make things right again after all of the political dabbling in which the GM had been involved and whatnot. If no concessions or general changes had to be made, then how is it that they returned to practicing Regular Freemasonry?
For one thing, the Grand Master who caused the problems, Francois Stifani, has been expelled.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
You've just detailed what the problem was, I've already told you that it has stopped, so I don't see what it is you're looking for. Unless you're looking for some gossip which of course is not a Masonic thing to seek.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Wow. I figured he would just be elected out at their next annual communication.

Given that his regime ended with that Grand Lodge having its affairs being run by a court-appointed administrator (Maitre Monique Legrand), and she was not a Mason, either.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
GODF is atheist and has been since the late 19th century, thus, it abandoned one of the Landmarks.
GLDF is a schism from GODF that nominally abandoned GODF's atheism but has never had regular relationships with UGLE. It is now in a friendly relationship with GODF.
GLNF was formed in the early 20th century. I don't know much about its history, other than that it has usually been on good terms with UGLE.
Droit Humaine pretty much has tossed the Landmarks out the window.

BroBook

Premium Member
What do the letters stand for?
I know G=grand , L=lodge any ideas?

Bro Book
M.W.U.G.L. Of Fl: P.H.A.
Excelsior # 43
At pensacola

BroBook

Premium Member
Thanks, what about GODF & the other one ?

Bro Book
M.W.U.G.L. Of Fl: P.H.A.
Excelsior # 43
At pensacola

MarkR

Premium Member
Grand Orient de France, Grande Loge de France, Grande Loge Nationale Française

In English, Grand Orient of France, Grand Lodge of France, French National Grand Lodge.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
page1image128

bjdeverell

Premium Member
You've just detailed what the problem was, I've already told you that it has stopped, so I don't see what it is you're looking for. Unless you're looking for some gossip which of course is not a Masonic thing to seek.

Easy there. Don't have to be so short about it. I wasn't looking for gossip, and the implication isn't well received. Forgive me for not living so close to France. Being 4,000 miles away, separated by half of the American continent and a sizable body of water makes it somewhat difficult to keep abreast of every little detail in circumstances that happened in France. Here's the problem. Jurisdictions handle things differently everywhere in the World - so, as I'm sure you can imagine, my familiarity with the rules of the Europeans isn't as sharp as yours may be. Aim your accusations of "gossip" elsewhere Brother. I'm a curious Man, and want nothing more than to learn. Most would agree education to be a VERY Masonic thing to seek.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
As indicated, the leadership has changed and the organization is no longer under the control of the appointed government administrator.

This was a difficult period for my GLNF brethren, and we should be very happy this is beginning to turn around. There will still need to be rapprochement between brethren and restoration of recognition by US GLs who acted.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Easy there. Don't have to be so short about it. I wasn't looking for gossip, and the implication isn't well received. Forgive me for not living so close to France. Being 4,000 miles away, separated by half of the American continent and a sizable body of water makes it somewhat difficult to keep abreast of every little detail in circumstances that happened in France. Here's the problem. Jurisdictions handle things differently everywhere in the World - so, as I'm sure you can imagine, my familiarity with the rules of the Europeans isn't as sharp as yours may be. Aim your accusations of "gossip" elsewhere Brother. I'm a curious Man, and want nothing more than to learn. Most would agree education to be a VERY Masonic thing to seek.
It wasn't meant as an accusation so please don't take it as one, it was a question based on the fact that you already knew all there was to know.

bjdeverell

Premium Member
Oh, Ok. :) See - that's the problem with reading text instead of speaking face to face. Intention is pretty often lost when you don't get to see body language and hear the inflection in a person's voice. I guess that's why so many people get into fights on Facebook lol. I'm so glad I walked away from that.