Freemason Lodges in Prison ??

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Travelling Man91, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

While at work last night, an inmate noticed my Masonic ring. After noticing it, he started asking me questions out of the ritual (Masonic conversation ). I didn't respond except with a laugh. As he continued to ask questions, I finally said "are you a mason ?" He said "I was raised in Prison ? " This was new to me, so I asked where did they receive their charter ? (Red flag in my mind ) He said he did not know, but the lodge was made up of men who were freemasons before they went to prison and wanted to carry the craft on. I've heard of crazy things going on under "Freemasonry" name, but never this. Has anyone heard of this ?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. NY.Light.II

NY.Light.II Registered User

Never heard of it. But wouldn't surprise me. Probably irregular. My question is if he claims he was raised, why would he be asking about ritual?

3. Travelling Man91

Not asking questions in the sense of gaining knowledge, but in the sense of questioning a brother to see if he is a mason. He asked questions about me traveling..... Etc

4. NY.Light.II

Interesting. Again, I would not be surprised if he went through something that had the veneer of regular freemasonry.

5. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Awesome!! Amazing .. Would love to hear more about that!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

6. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

These are clandestine on anyone's chart.

Warrior1256 and Bill Lins like this.
  7. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Very true... Very true!!

Would just like to hear how they meet? Where, i mean you only have so much free time as a group in prison!

8. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

He is asking you questions but doesn't know anything about his lodge's charter or grand lodge. That is precious. I wouldn't entertain this foolishness.

dfreybur and Bill Lins like this.
  9. junae

junae Registered User

May really just want to know for REAL , that what he may-have been taught, was really how it is.

10. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Just ask him to show you the coded books he learned from

11. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I understand that in the second world war Masonic lodges operated inside German prison camps. I have not heard that any of those lodges was granted a charter by a regular GL, but equally I have heard nothing but respect for those brethren and their lodges.

hanzosbm and NY.Light.II like this.
  12. NY.Light.II

Point taken.

13. Travelling Man91

It's not so much as entertaining what he says because I will no violate my solemn obligation, but I will listen to him speak because I'm learning something new.

14. Travelling Man91

100% agreed.

15. Travelling Man91

Well he stated that he learned all he knows from former active regular masons.

16. MRichard

Exactly what are you learning from a clandestine/bogus mason?

17. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

So is the position that no matter how many regular brethren may be in a prison, under no circumstances should they hold a lodge?

Perhaps they should form their own Grand Lodge and issue charters to other prisons.

18. MRichard

Would your grand lodge grand them a charter?

Glen Cook likes this.
  19. Glen Cook

Operated by regular Masons. Lodges without a territorial jurisdiction long held the right to form on their own with regular Freemasons. The prisons referred to by OP would be in a territorial jurisdiction and were not formed by regular Masons. Indeed, they would likely be a gang adopting some of our signs and symbols

20. Glen Cook

And just how many regular Masons do you think there are in prison?

As the prison is within a Masonic jurisdiction, it could not form its own Lodge or GL.

Share My Freemasonry