Freemason Lodges in Prison ??

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Travelling Man91, Oct 27, 2015.

1. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

With a justice system that is less than perfect, there may be quite a few.

"There have been 333 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States. - See more at: http://www.innocenceproject.org/fre...-exonerations-nationwide#sthash.C7t8t5g0.dpuf"

So what sort of support should a lodge or Grand Lodge extend to incarcerated brethren?

2. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Masons interned as POWs are not the same as criminals in prison.

As for someone receiving degrees/having a lodge in prison ... NO.

Someone may very well have received his degrees and been a member in good standing, but the minute he was convicted of a felony, he should have been suspended or expelled. If there are enough of these men in prison to confer degrees, the work they do is without question clandestine.

And no, there is no chance that a regular charter should ever be granted to any prison group.

3. JamestheJust

I suppose that brotherly love would resume the minute that the felon made a successful appeal against the conviction.

4. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

There is a tremendous difference between a POW camp, where the inhabitants are there due to serving their country, and prison, where the inhabitants are there due to having been convicted of a crime or crimes.

5. Bill Lins

Under GLoTX law, any Mason who is convicted of a felony is automatically expelled. Thus, any GLoTX Mason in prison is no longer in good standing and may not, under any circumstances, hold or participate in any Lodge of any kind.

6. Bill Lins

How would he know that they were "regular Masons"?

7. Bill Lins

Under GLoTX Law, the exonerated man has the right to apply for restoration and reinstatement, but such is NOT automatic.

8. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

He wouldn't. Where I work, I have had so many guys that claim to be a mason to try and get over on me. As far as I know this guy could have had a copy of Duncan's ritual and memorized certain Q&A

Glen Cook likes this.
  9. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

10. Glen Cook

You suppose that brotherly love ended.

It depends on what you mean by successful appeal and the jurisdiction.

11. Glen Cook

Not all of us use coded books.

12. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Id have him intro you to the other "brothers" and find out what they got going on....and as asked before where the hell are they meeting? Amd if i was in prison there is no way in hell im willingly letting any one blind fold me and put something around my neck

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

In Illinois a brother on appeal is suspended pending the outcome of the appeal. It takes a vote of his lodge plus GM permission to remove the suspension.

In all 3 of my jurisdictions convicted brothers are expelled automatically.

In the 2 jurisdictions where I have attended GL there are descriptions of the crimes of every expelled brother but not the names. Sometimes it is easy to figure out if you've paid attention to the news. When all of their reparations are complete they may apply for reinstatement. At that point their names are discussed.

The number is never high enough for a clandestine lodge of expelled former brothers to form in prison.

14. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

The way I see it, there are a few things going on here.

Are they clandestine? Almost certainly yes. The definition of clandestine is operating without a charter from a recognized Grand Lodge. Technically, there COULD be a recognized Grand Lodge out there that has granted a charter similar to traveling military lodges, but I doubt it.

Next, is the comparison to lodges in POW camps. Everyone is saying it is different; no it's not. These were meetings of Masons without a charter because they were being confined against their will and did not have access to regular lodges. The reason for their imprisonment doesn't matter FOR THIS ISSUE.

Now, the issue of convicted felons. I've never done an exhaustive compilation of the standings of every single recognized Grand Lodge and their stance on convicted felons. So let's play it out. IF there was a Grand Lodge that allowed convicted felons, and IF all of the inmates were regular, fully paid up members of that particular Grand Lodge, then I would see this as the same situation as the POW camps. However, those are both highly unlikely. In most jurisdictions, the brothers would be immediately expelled upon conviction meaning that they all would be clandestine.

As some others have mentioned, I have no idea how you could carry out the rituals in prison, although I guess if prison tattoos and gang rape go unnoticed, it's certainly possible.

As a side note, unrelated to the whole prison thing, I've always disliked the contention that we aren't allowed to meet unless it's with the permission of the Grand Lodge. It's basically saying 'you can't talk to your brothers unless Big Brother says so'. Some people criticize us as being a cult, and in this regard, I definitely think they have some basis for their argument.

NY.Light.II likes this.
  15. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

I can't speak to the other guys because he "supposedly got raised" in a state prison. I work for a county sheriffs office. There is no doubt they are clandestine masons. But how would you know there were guys/ groups performing degrees in Prison if no one took the time out to listen to the cowans ? Lol all he has done is further educated me on bogus masonry.

16. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

I would bet most masons in prison would have been expelled. I'm speaking from my jurisdiction anyway.

You are still bound to your oath or obligation...

You break those oaths the moment you communicate those secrets to someone in prison. Expelled or not.

BroBook likes this.
  17. JamestheJust

Am I the only one that thinks it odd that brotherly love only flows when Grand Lodge approves?

18. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

Nobody said anything about love, just Masonic communication.

SeeKer.mm and Classical like this.
  19. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

Did you forget your Obligation?

20. JamestheJust

I took my obligation before and to the GAOTU. End of statement.

Share My Freemasonry