Freemason Lodges in Prison ??

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Travelling Man91, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This is my understanding also.

2. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

I know brothers, I said that because I was reading a tread one day and a brother stated signs of recognition and Q&A only needed to be discussed in a tyled lodge

3. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

In one of the Star Wars movies around the time of the destruction of Alderan you may see one of the 3rd degree signs

4. Travelling Man91

I've always found it awkward to use one of the signs. For one reason, signs are somewhat different depending on what jurisdiction your in.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  5. Warrior1256

I didn't know this. I knew that the rituals can be some what different state to state, or even lodge to lodge, but I thought that the signs were the same everywhere.

6. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

I have visited lodges in 14 states, WashDC, and in several foreign lands. The signs for the Craft degrees, are identical in all well-governed and regular USA lodges.

The ritual varies slightly from state to state.

Before Kentucky was a state, it was a county of Virginia, and all KY lodges used the Virginia Grand Lodge ritual. When KY became a state in 1792, KY broke off, and got their own GL. The VA ritual and the KY ritual vary slightly. When the state of Alabama was a territory, KY issued a warrant for Huntsville (ALA) lodge to operate. When Ala got statehood, Huntsville lodge became Huntsville lodge #1 in the Grand Lodge of Ala. Today the Ala ritual differs slightly from the KY ritual.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. Warrior1256

That's what I thought. Thanks for this and the other info brother.

8. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

As a member who actually attends lodge overseas, they are not the same.

Travelling Man91 likes this.
  9. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I have not seen differences in the US

10. Travelling Man91

I have seen a small difference with the first degree sign only. And from my understanding the sign of distress is different depending on what jurisdiction also. Something I have always wanted to know is, is Prince Hall and and other regular masons signs the same ? I guess I would have to ask a mason that has sat in both lodges.

11. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

I really wonder if they are clandestine....were the Freemasons on the side of the south in the civil war incarcerated by the north not freemasons anymore? Where the prisoners in the american revolution prision ship at New York not freemasons because they were there?....hmmm

12. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

I absolutly meant it in jest byt also seriously. If i was locked up there is no way in hell im getting blindfolded and cabletowed willingly

13. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

I think any group of mason can open a lodge if the have the needed number to open that lodge.

14. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

Trust is a must.

15. Travelling Man91

I would feel more sympathy for a brother that was already a regular freemason before he went to prison than a guy that was made a mason in Prison. Just my two cents.

16. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

Except for edicts of probation from some GL's could ,,, a Brother Master Mason's secrets as his own, murder and treason alone excepted.

17. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

My previous post was a bit unclear.

I have attended USA lodges from sea to shining sea, and the signs are uniformly the same.

In USA lodges that operate in foreign lands, they are the same.

I attended a lodge chartered by the United American-Canadian Grand Lodge of Germany. They use the Minnesota ritual. All signs are the same.

I attended a lodge chartered by the Grand Lodge of California, which uses the Massachusetts ritual. (Operating in Paris France) The signs are the same.

I attended a lodge chartered by the Grand Lodge of Ontario (Canada).. They used the Canadian ritual, and the signs are the same.

I attended a German-speaking, German-sponsored lodge in France. They used the Germany ritual. All the signs are the same, except for the FC, which was different from any I have seen before or since.

Classical likes this.
  18. JamestheJust

In Australia, lodges that originally had Scottish charters and maintain a Scottish ritual tend to vary quite a lot in their signs, and ritual. One small lodge I was away from for 20 years, made a noticeable change in the 2nd degree sign and did not recall that they had ever done it differently.

19. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Dear gentlemen.
    If "clandestine lodges" are "bad" -- how do you "fight" with them?
    Is there any legal ways?
    Or, they, actually don't "damage" True Masonry?

20. JamestheJust

What if a clandestine lodge claimed to have the genuine secrets? How would we test that proposition?

Share My Freemasonry