My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friendly Fire

office-argument-discussion.jpg

Some time ago the guest minister at our church, Dr. James Carter, Director - Division of Church Minister Relations, Louisiana Baptist Convention, chose as his topic, "Surviving Friendly Fire." As his sermon unfolded, the more intently I listened because, whereas, Dr. Carter tuned his words toward the church and its members, his subject matter could be easily revised to fit the Masonic Fraternity. To avoid any suspicion of plagiarism, I called Dr. Carter and received permission to use some of his ideas and research material.

"Friendly fire" is when those on your side are the ones who are shooting at you. Often times people are wounded and killed by "friendly fire." In the Civil War during the Battle of Chancellorsville, General "Stonewall" Jackson was wounded and subsequently died, when fired upon by a North Carolina regiment, a unit of Confederate skirmishers serving as outguards. In this case "friendly fire" cost the life of a famous general and could have affected the outcome of the battle. Throughout the Civil War, there are many other instances of mistaken identity, whereby "triendly fire" caused casualties among one's own forces.

Following the euphoria of Desert Storm, the American public was shocked to learn how many casualties sustained bv the American army, were the result of "friendly fire." Thirty-five of the 145 killed and 72 of those wounded were the result of "friendly fire." Seven MIAI tanks and 20 Bradley fighting vehicles were lost to "friendly fire."

As I pondered these tragic losses, it occurred to me that most of the casualties we suffer, most of the wounds we sustain, most of the hurt we feel, as individuals and as Masons, comes from "friendly fire." Those people who you think are on your side, by supporting you, strengthening you, helping you, are often the ones who hurt you the most. It pains me when I hear a brother Mason speak in derogatory terms about another.

The relationship between the Grand Lodge and our constituent lodges has been strained because many of our brethren have used the Grand Lodge as the scape goat for all their troubles. They do not accept that the Grand Lodge is the organization which guarantees the regularity of the lodges under its control. Without the Grand Lodge, no lodge could function as a member of that great body of Masons throughout the world. We owe the Grand Lodge our support and our loyalty. Remember that the largest number of members of the Grand Lodge is made up of the officers of our individual lodges. Let not your "friendly fire" weaken our Grand Lodge.

Recently there was a story in the newspaper that the Pentagon had developed so-called anti- fratricidal devices. "Friendly fire" is really a form of fratricidal fire: brother against brother. These devices are designed to keep one's own troops from firing on each other. They are electronic beacons which blink out pulses of near infrared light which can be seen at great distances, thus warning those on the same side not to fire. Is it necessary for Masons to wear an anti-fratricidal device to keep Masons from firing at each other? I think not.

I believe if we resort to that principle which made us great: to live a service oriented life, we can survive "friendly fire." It is a life that is accountable for what we say and what we do. You are accountable to yourself, to other people, but especially to God. In spite of the attacks from without, I believe we are our own worst enemies. If we keep biting and devouring each other, we will destroy each other and our great fraternity.

Instead, let our light so shine that all people will know that we believe in the brotherhood of man under the Fatherhood of God. So mote it be.

Source: Bro. Ray W. Burgess, PGM