My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5 (4S)?

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Pretty dang disappointed with the release of the OS 6. Especially the Maps app. Don't know why Apple decides to break off from using the Google maps thing and go their own route, but I have not been able to get a single GPS address correct YET! The previous version, no problem. Other than that, not really seeing the point of the whole release of the OS 6. Nothing much really changed. The "Do Not Disturb" feature is pretty good, but not worth the time it took me to download and install.

Also, not too pleased about the rollout of the iPhone 5. Was really hoping for some pretty awesome change, but just having a phone that looks a little slimmer but a tad taller isn't enough for me to just rush out and buy a new one. And don't get me started on the charging cable.

Just pretty POed at Apple right now for basically not coming up with something better. What a waste of my time and anticipation. Looking at going to AT&T and getting that Galaxy S3, but don't know if I should just hold onto my iPhone 4S or not. Couple of question for you Android users...

1- Go for it, or no? Which do you think is better? (If you used both)

2- I use the heck out if Outlook for my Contacts, Calendar, and all that. When I sync up my phone it uses my Outlook to update all that on my phone. Does the Galaxy S3 do that, or do I have to have all of that stuff on Google's stuff (like, Google's Calendar site, contacts on Google's email site, etc).

3- Is there something like Siri on the S3? I saw the video for the Google Voice Search, but with Siri I can talk texts into my phone, open apps, tell the phone to text or call someone, and all that. GVS do the same?

4- Each time Apple comes out with an update to the OS, not matter how small, I can get the update for free and download and install it. I was hearing from somewhere (maybe here), that you only get ONE free update on the Android software. Is that true? Maybe explain the whole update thing and how it works for Android?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but these are the main questions I ask at the AT&T store and can't ever get answers to. Just deer in the headlights looks.

crono782

Premium Member
I really dig my 4S. Siri can be a fun distraction, but the novelty really wore off when I realized that my car bluetooth won't activate Siri. When it comes to tablets, I'm an Android user all the way, no iPad for me. I really wanted my phone to be as hassle free as possible, so I opted to stick with the iPhone (upgrade from 3GS to 4S about 4 months ago). I use the Exchange mail option for my Google Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc and it works pretty well. My opinions:

Go for it. If you don't really need the latest and greatest, get the 4S. It is only $99 now and it's very sturdy. The 5's casing is now aluminum and scratches very easily, sometimes scratched out of the box.
I don't believe Android has a great alternative to Siri, but like I said, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. Siri uses your data connection every time you use it to process what you asked for so there's that too. That said, if the novelty stays with you, then Siri is pretty great. I can dictate emails, text messages. It can now give me sports scores and launch apps. I haven't had a huge issue with the maps yet TBH. I really like the spoken directions (but Android already has that). If google maps is a sticking point for you, you can always use the web version for now until they release a standalone app.
Android updates tend to be a lot bigger each update than iOS IMO. You could conceivably run the same OS version and be just fine. I'm not super knowledgeable on this point when it comes to Android phones.
AT&T store employees are generally idiots.

I really enjoy my iPhone (regardless of version) and Google Nexus 7 tablet by Asus. I think it's a great pairing of iOS with Android and I feel very productive, connected, and entertained all around.

Last edited:

Bill Hosler

I am going to upgrade to iPhone 5 for the simple reason I don't want to rebuy ally apps again. I have a good chunk of money into my iTunes and I don't want it to go to waste. The downside I don't like about the apple products is you don't have the option of flash. I am also not thrilled about Android being open source.

Since you use outlook and the other windows applications have you considered a Windows phone? My brother in law loves his.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Open Source is great. That is the reason there is so much more flexibility with Android vs. iOS. There is a huge developer community that takes what they are given and make upgrades to it. Just because it is open source doesn't mean you have to use it. There is a voice capability that is built into Android. I was using it long before Siri came into existence. The updates are free for Android and you don't have to plug into iTunes to get it either it is OTA. The thing about Apple is the UI is old and dated. Nothing about it is fresh or anything. The have been using the same 4x4 grid since it was first introduced. There is no flexibility with Apple. Everyone lines up and eats up everything Apple just because it is Apple. If you have a Bose system for your old it won't work with the new either. Android allows you to make changes and make the phone truly yours. Don't like the clock on the main screen? Change it. Want to see Facebook updates on your phone without opening the app? There is a widget for it. I thought I would not like Android when I first made the switch but now I would not trade it for iOS any day. I just like not being locked into to what Apple wants. Plus isn't about time Apple actually put a larger screen on their phones. Their screens are so small compared to everyone else. I think the only reason why Apple went after Samsung so hard was they knew that Samsung put out a better product. JMHO

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
One isn't better than the other. It really depends on what you want to do with your phone. Do you want one that just works, or one that works pretty well but allows way more customizing? I've used virtually every high-end Android and iPhone, but right now I'm on the iPhone 5. IOS6 is okay, but the phone itself is incredible. It's thin, super fast, great battery life, the build quality is unmatched and I've been taking a lot more pictures lately so it's improved camera and Shared Photo Streams are an absolute dream! Plus if I go over to see the kids, I can hop on my iPhone, load up Plex, stream a movie from my house and AirPlay it on their Apple TV. So sweet, especially for $4.99! I wouldn't get a black one, but a 32gig white. Supposedly they're a little more durable. But yeah, Apple won this round but I'm waiting for the next Galaxy Nexus phone next month...lol. Another thing you get with Apple is support. I have a Nexus 7 (Google Tablet) as does my son. For some reason, his will no longer turn on. So in order to get a replacement, I had to call google, get an rma, basically order a new Nexus 7, ship the broken one in, then once google receives it they'll release the $249 hold on my credit card. With Apple, if it's a defect within the factory warranty, you goto their store and swap it. That's it. I won't even get started on HTC's repair process..OMG, you'll be out WEEKS without a phone. Something to think about.

Last edited:

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Hmmm... Lol some good and bad points for both. I feel like I am in the same exact spot as I was when I first posed the question lol. But, that's alright. This all coming from knowledgable guys whom I trust their opinion.

I think I'm going to play it safe. I'm going to keep my 4S till the AT&T store regularly has the iPhone 5 in stock. The. I will go in and use my upgrade to get the S3 and try it out. I have 30 days to return it. If I do like it and can get used to it in that time, ill keep it. If not, I'll take it back and get the iPhone 5. I will only be out the $35 "restock" fee and whatever the difference is if I want to jump up to a higher capacity iPhone.

Of course, with my luck, since I have asked all these questions bout the S3, by the time I make it down there to get one they will totally obsolete and some new Android phone will be out haha.

Thanks for all the pointers, Brothers!

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
If you do get the Galaxy S3 you will love it. It has some of the coolest features I have seen for a phone. I will probably get it when I am ready for my upgrade. My oldest son has one and I have played with it. I want one for sure now.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm going to ditch the iphone 5 when the Galaxy S3 receives an official Jellybean release or I get a Note II in my hands ;)

filmgeekben

Just as a heads up AT&T is changing its return policy to 14 days down from 30. This is in line with other carriers.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Went ahead and purchased a snow white GS3. I thought the GS3 had a great camera, but wow, the I5 blows it out of the water. That being said, I'm already running a custom JB rom...very nice. I plan on keeping both and swap sim cards.

What stinks is the iPhone 5 uses a smaller sim card, but there's a way to work it into the SG3. The big issue, is the data plan. For me to use my I5 sim card, I have to call into ATT and switch data plans. They're the same price, but there's a special one just for the iPhone. Pretty stupid IMO.

Last edited:

redraidermason

Looking at going to AT&T and getting that Galaxy S3, but don't know if I should just hold onto my iPhone 4S or not. Couple of question for you Android users...

1- Go for it, or no? Which do you think is better? (If you used both)

2- I use the heck out if Outlook for my Contacts, Calendar, and all that. When I sync up my phone it uses my Outlook to update all that on my phone. Does the Galaxy S3 do that, or do I have to have all of that stuff on Google's stuff (like, Google's Calendar site, contacts on Google's email site, etc).

3- Is there something like Siri on the S3? I saw the video for the Google Voice Search, but with Siri I can talk texts into my phone, open apps, tell the phone to text or call someone, and all that. GVS do the same?

4- Each time Apple comes out with an update to the OS, not matter how small, I can get the update for free and download and install it. I was hearing from somewhere (maybe here), that you only get ONE free update on the Android software. Is that true? Maybe explain the whole update thing and how it works for Android?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but these are the main questions I ask at the AT&T store and can't ever get answers to. Just deer in the headlights looks.

1. Go for it, or no? Which do you think is better? (If you used both)

The choice is still yours. I saw later in the thread that you decided to go with the 5 when widely available and switch to the S3 if you dont like it. My wife uses the 4S and loves it but we havent gotten to mess around with the Iphone 5. I have a friend that picked up the S3 and he loves it. It is alot like the commercials make it out to be but in the end it is a phone with bells and whistles as is the iPhone. you just have to figure out which will suit your needs better.

2. I use the heck out if Outlook for my Contacts, Calendar, and all that. When I sync up my phone it uses my Outlook to update all that on my phone. Does the Galaxy S3 do that, or do I have to have all of that stuff on Google's stuff (like, Google's Calendar site, contacts on Google's email site, etc).

Yes, Android phones do have "Enterprise" support and can use outlook and calanders etc. you can even sync all that to your google calendar. But yes anything that you can do on your iphone in outlook you can do with the S3.

3. Is there something like Siri on the S3? I saw the video for the Google Voice Search, but with Siri I can talk texts into my phone, open apps, tell the phone to text or call someone, and all that. GVS do the same?

There is built in voice search and texting capabilities but there is no true built in "Siri". There are several apps out that mimic Siri's functions but the last time I tried one they were nowhere near as usefull or as good as Siri is. This is one aspect that the iphone does have over android because apple was the innovator and designer. It may become standard on phones in the near future if the copyright lawsuit wars ever calm down but for now android is behind the curve.

This is not true per se. Android phones are built by different manufacturers than the people that put out the base os (google's android os). Because of this and the fact that most manufacturers make several different models of phones a year it is harder for the manufacturer to customize the android os source kit updates to each specific version of the phone (takes a long time to adjust it for 12 phones as opposed to the few iphones that are out). that and the fact that most people upgrade every year to two years means that there is usually only 1 update put out during the lifetime of that specific phone. Once a phone is more than a year or two old (unless it is very popular) most manufacturers will not keep up with the updates because it is not cost effective. But that is not to say that your phone will only get 1 update. it may get 2 or more updates before the phones end of life. And all the updates will be free, it doesnt matter if there are 2 or 10 i have never heard of anyone charging for updates.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
3. I find the voice commands in google now and the improvements in Jellybean equal, if not better than siri.
4. Unless you have a Google Nexus device, you'll be lucky to receive one or two updates and chances are, they won't be the latest version. OEM updates for Android are crap. If you would like to try a google device, Nexus is the only way to go.... That's a fact. Why? Because those devices are directly supported and updated by google.
http://www.google.com/nexus

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I love my Nexus S and would like to get the newest available right now, but I can't afford it right off. I am not that thrilled that it looks like LG will be the manufacturer of the next Nexus device which we could see within the next month.

Bill Hosler

My girlfriend's work just upgraded her phone to a Galaxy III. I have been playing with it and it really makes me reconsider the iPhone 5.

I haven't physically held the new iPhone yet. That will help me decide but it's going to have to be pretty impressive.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Can't they just get along?

Photo on 10-12-12 at 1.06 AM #4.jpg

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
After running a handful of benchmarks, the iPhone 5 beats the crap out of the Galaxy S3, especially when it comes to web browsing. That being said, the S3 is no slouch either and it's massive screen is awesome.

sands67

Premium Member
i have heard the iphone 5 is a faster browser, but can speak from experience when I say the S3 is a great phone that will only get better with Jellybean which is coming out for the S3 before the holidays. Some have said that in certain lighting the iphone 5 has a purple haze on the pictures caused by a different coating apple used on the lens inthe 5 vs the 4s. the iphone 5 would have nailed it if it would have come out with a 4.5 inch phone but i guess it will wait for iphone 6 for that.. Either phone is a good choice. if you have an investment in either ecosystem then i would continue on unless you reallywere disgruntled and preserve your investment in apps