My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genesis as allegory?

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
I am very in tune with your train of thought, brother......we know that the Bible is a compliation, 66 books agreed upon by Nicean Council in 325 AD, which were authored by some 44 different authors, over what some approximate as close to a 1600 year period. I wholeheartedly believe that Genesis, along with many other books of this great Book of LIFE is a book of allegory, which is fact veiled and steeped in knowlege of the Ancients. This knowledge was passed down through Oral Tradition (hmmmm, similarities?), and scholars attempted to interpret, translate, and write down books based on their interpretation of said traditions. Scholars have speculated that the actual Garden of Eden is in modern day Iraq.......My Brothers, what other names was Iraq referred to by the Ancients? Mesopotamia, Babylon......doesn't seem like it to US today, but this is definitely HOLY land. My theory on that apple and that knowledge is that Man became aware of and wanted Knowledge of HIMSELF, before GOD thought he was ready. This "knowledge", or "fruit", is part of our two pronged goal in lifelong study and investigation as Masons----Knowledge of Self, and The Pursuit of TRUTH.......Adam's curiosity and disobedience was seen by GOD as a lack of DEpendence on HIS good works, so GOD cast him out and forced him to develop INdependence, through hardship and a renewed ignorance, or lack of knowledge. So, the very thing Adam sought was the very thing GOD kept away from him due to his disobedience. Today, I see obedience to GOD as a way to gain this Knowledge of Self and pursuit of TRUTH..........We can learn from Adam's mistake in two ways----choose our "fruit" as GOD offers it to us, not when WE think we're ready, and next, DEPEND ON GOD instead of trying to figure LIFE out on our own...........just my opinion and two cents, Brothers.........Fraternally, Bro. Vincent C. Jones, Sr., Bayou City Lodge #228, PHA, Houston, Texas

Eric Edwards

I am very in tune with your train of thought, brother......we know that the Bible is a compliation, 66 books agreed upon by Nicean Council in 325 AD, which were authored by some 44 different authors, over what some approximate as close to a 1600 year period. I wholeheartedly believe that Genesis, along with many other books of this great Book of LIFE is a book of allegory, which is fact veiled and steeped in knowlege of the Ancients. This knowledge was passed down through Oral Tradition (hmmmm, similarities?), and scholars attempted to interpret, translate, and write down books based on their interpretation of said traditions. Scholars have speculated that the actual Garden of Eden is in modern day Iraq.......My Brothers, what other names was Iraq referred to by the Ancients? Mesopotamia, Babylon......doesn't seem like it to US today, but this is definitely HOLY land. My theory on that apple and that knowledge is that Man became aware of and wanted Knowledge of HIMSELF, before GOD thought he was ready. This "knowledge", or "fruit", is part of our two pronged goal in lifelong study and investigation as Masons----Knowledge of Self, and The Pursuit of TRUTH.......Adam's curiosity and disobedience was seen by GOD as a lack of DEpendence on HIS good works, so GOD cast him out and forced him to develop INdependence, through hardship and a renewed ignorance, or lack of knowledge. So, the very thing Adam sought was the very thing GOD kept away from him due to his disobedience. Today, I see obedience to GOD as a way to gain this Knowledge of Self and pursuit of TRUTH..........We can learn from Adam's mistake in two ways----choose our "fruit" as GOD offers it to us, not when WE think we're ready, and next, DEPEND ON GOD instead of trying to figure LIFE out on our own...........just my opinion and two cents, Brothers.........Fraternally, Bro. Vincent C. Jones, Sr., Bayou City Lodge #228, PHA, Houston, Texas

I like that post by the way. I think that's very insightful. I do also believe the literal side as well though.
Simply because the bible is all based around the fact that the 1st adam sinned and the 2nd adam (Jesus)
was sinless. So by one man's disobedience death reigned over all men, by one man's obedience life is freely
given to all. He who knew no sin was made sin for our sake.

I have heard that the garden of Eden is in Iraq or was in Iraq. The war in revelation that kills 1/3 of mankind is supposed to
start at the river Euphrates which is partially located in Iraq. The question is...Has it already begun?

13And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God, 14Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates. 15And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men. 16And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them. 17And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone. 18By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths. 19For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt.

cog41

Premium Member
do we not take the Bible literally?

I do.

I just try to keep things in context and remember one part is a piece of a bigger picture.

I believe Genesis is fact. We're going to have differing views , opinions, interpretations because we are finite little folks reading the book inspired by God.
Revelation? Ahh yes, a fine mystery book. Deserving of it's own thread.

"When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained;
what is man, that Thou dost take thought of him? And the son of man, that Thou dost care for him?"...Psalm 8:3-4

Last edited:

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Interesting :)

It was my impression that most of the major Christian sects of the world accepted the Council of Nicaea. I am sure there are many that do not.

Either way I think it would have to be accepted that at some point a group of fellas organized the Bible.

I have a feeling that most folks don't split hairs over the wheres and whens, but I wouldn't know.

Last edited:

Eric Edwards

Who is we?

we is Christians and I know most of you are believers in Christ.

We does not mean masons as I am not one I filled a petition out

but still need one more name.

Since masonry is not a religion we should not refer to masons as having any defined
opinion on the bible...We should believe God's word to be truth both in literal truth and
in symbolic truth. Gnostic Christianity is not Christianity if I understand it's precepts correctly.

dhouseholder

we is Christians and I know most of you are believers in Christ.
Some Christians take the Bible literally, some don't. The Pope, for example, has stated that Genesis is probably allegorical. Most liberal sects of Christianity don't take all of it literally, and I'd venture to say, most conservative sects do. It all depends on what flavor you prefer.

We does not mean masons as I am not one I filled a petition out

but still need one more name.
Good luck with that.

Since Masonry is not a religion we should not refer to masons as having any defined
opinion on the bible
A safe assumption.

We should believe God's word to be truth both in literal truth and
in symbolic truth.
It's good to have convictions.

Gnostic Christianity is not Christianity if I understand it's precepts correctly.
I'd be careful passing judgments on others religions. That last signature you need might be from a Gnostic Christian Mason. I wouldn't let him know what you think of his faith. It would be wise to avoid sectarian discussions like that in the future. :)

Eric Edwards

I would abide by lodge rules and not discuss religion. It seems to me masonry is extremely interwoven with your faith but
it is kept personal. I can respect that just as I would at work if I was not allowed to discuss religion.

cog41

Premium Member
If he, the freemason, knows you disagree with his religon/faith, your disagreement shouldn't matter as to whether he signs your petition or not. Being able to table those differences and sit together, and work together is what matters. He should be able to, Can you?

You can share and discuss later.

No doubt our contry's founding fathers disagreed on faith and even masonry. But the practice of cooperation prevailed and gave us a Declaration of Independence and a Constitution.

Eric Edwards

If he, the freemason, knows you disagree with his religon/faith, your disagreement shouldn't matter as to whether he signs your petition or not. Being able to table those differences and sit together, and work together is what matters. He should be able to, Can you?

You can share and discuss later.

No doubt our contry's founding fathers disagreed on faith and even masonry. But the practice of cooperation prevailed and gave us a Declaration of Independence and a Constitution.

I agree with that. There are some fundamental laws which are based on the founding fathers faith.

I am a conservative right wing christian but I have friends who are as left as you can get.

EZFlyer

Like many stories this one can be interpreted in many ways. I read a book called "Black Players" which stated pimps used this story to educate their Ho. They would tell the girl this is what happens when men listen to women that is why she must do what he says.

I think that the viewpoint presented here is a new look. It opened my eyes to a different concept I believe you always need the dichotomy or you will never know what is right. When you look at various historical religons these always have some evil force whether big or small compared to the good person. Without the bad you will be lost to know what is good. this is why the ideas here are good because it takes it to another level.