GLoTX Resolutions

Discussion in 'Freemasonry In Texas' started by Blake Bowden, Jan 15, 2017.

1. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

The package came out today. Resolution 4 reads

WHEREAS, it would be best that Masons from other Lodges, not being a member of the Lodge acting, should not be allowed to vote or ballot upon matters of said Lodge, so as not to influence the outcome on said matters, and therefore, guests and visiting Brethren, not members of said Lodge, should not be allowed to vote or ballot on any matters of said Lodge, including membership; and

WHEREAS, in voting and balloting on Petitions and Applications, other than for the three degrees of Masonry, it should be clear that only members present of the Lodge acting shall be entitled to vote;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that Article 417 be deleted in its entirety and a new Article 417 be substituted to read as follows:
    Art. 417. (458). Who May Vote. In balloting on petitions for the three degrees, or any of them, only members who are in good standing of the Lodge acting are entitled to vote, and all members in good standing of said Lodge who are present must vote.
    In balloting or voting on petitions for affiliation; reinstatement; restoration; or applications for dimit; certificate of good standing; waiver of jurisdiction; certificate of dismissal; or voting on examinations for proficiency; or the business transactions of the

dfreybur likes this.
  2. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Interesting. Currently in Texas all members of that specific lodge must ballot, any member of a GLofTX may ballot.

To me this means someone with determination can go around visiting seeing to it that a specific man can't get degrees. Until or unless that gets abused I'm not sure it's a bad possibility.

But it also means someone with determination can go around visiting seeing to it that specific lodges can't accept candidates. If that's ever been abused it's definitely bad. But if I suspect that might have happened I'd object to any visitors during a ballot. Attending your own lodge is a landmark right; visiting is a privilege and it may be objected to by a member.

3. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Totally incorrect. The ONLY time a GLoTX Brother may be excluded from any GLoTX Lodge is if he is laboring under Masonic charges. Otherwise, visiting other GLoTX Lodges IS a right. See Art. 383.

hfmm97 likes this.
  4. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

So a Master can’t exclude a GLoTX Brother from his(the masters) lodge if there is contention with a member of that lodge?

5. Bill Lins

Not preemptively. If a Brother causes contention in a tiled Lodge & continues to do so after the WM orders him to stop, the WM may either have that Brother removed or close the Lodge, at his option.

6. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Hmmmm interesting. In NM and OR a Master can exclude any and all brothers who are not members.

As for the voting....in OR lodge members must vote District members may vote. NM ONLY lodge members can vote

7. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Not a landmark, of course. But local jurisdiction bylaws are binding on every member lodge in the jurisdiction.

Has this ever been abused that you know of? I see at least one proposal this year that hints of it. The one about who votes.

Not a completely hypothetical example. - I could start attending some lodge that I'm not a member of and drop cubes on every candidate. If I'm not the only brother doing so that lodge starves. I knew of an Illinois lodge where one of their own members was starving his own lodge by dropping cubes on every candidate. He didn't admit to it and no one may ask so it was technically only a guess as to who was doing it, but he was rejected from visiting any other lodge in quite some distance. As he was a disaffected member he did not attend any district, area or GL events so it never came up how to exclude him from them.

Rules requiring more than one cube tend to be the reaction if this abuse ever happens, but such rules have their own set of problems.

8. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Just got back and can report as follows.

Hold over resolution #4 - Passed.
    Resolution #1 - Passed.
    Resolution #2 - Withdrawn.
    Resolution #3 - Withdrawn.
    Resolution #4 - Failed.
    Resolution #5 - Failed.
    Resolution #6 - Passed.
    Resolution #7 - Passed.
    Resolution #8 - Passed.
    Resolution #9 - Failed.
    Resolution #10 - Passed.
    Resolution #11 - Passed, but just barely. 1347 to 1345 votes.
    Resolution #12 - Tabled.
    Resolution #13 - Passed.
    Resolution #14 - Passed.
    Resolution #15 - Passed.
    Resolution #16 - Passed.
    Resolution #17 - Passed.
    Resolution #18 - Passed.
    Grand Master's recommendation #1 - Passed.
    Grand Master's recommendation #2 - Passed.

Brother Ken Curry was elected to the Grand South, and brother Jim Rumsey was elected to the Committee of Work.

Of other notable events can be mentioned that the GM fell head first when stepping down from the podium on Friday, and nearly got a concussion. The visitation with Prince Hall was made easier, and the need to go through the Grand Secretaries office was removed. Freedom lodge from Houston had their charter taken away for multiple account of Masonic irregularities, and the recognition of the Grand Lodge of Cuba was suspended.

Bro. Stewart P.M. likes this.
  9. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

Why was recognition pulled from the GL of Cuba ?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 9:42 PM
  10. Bill Lins

My notes show that #17 failed. Also, GM's Recommendation #2 was amended to increase the fee from $20 to $50 and passed as amended.

11. Plustax

Plustax Registered User

12. Bill Lins

It was reported that they had invaded the territory of the Grand Lodge of Florida & opened Lodges there, that they had promised to close said Lodges, and had failed to do so.

13. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

14. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Share My Freemasonry