My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Hailing Sign of Distress

Canadian Paul

The 'Sign of Distress' used in Scottish lodges is quite different from that used in other jurisdictions, eg the UGLE. In my lodge we teach each MM three signs - that used in Scottish lodges, that used on 'sister jurisdictions' and that used 'on the continent of Europe', but we only use our own. Still, we are, I suppose, well-equipped to help or be helped ANYWHERE! (joke0

Reactions: MBC

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
The 'Sign of Distress' used in Scottish lodges is quite different from that used in other jurisdictions, eg the UGLE. In my lodge we teach each MM three signs - that used in Scottish lodges, that used on 'sister jurisdictions' and that used 'on the continent of Europe', but we only use our own. Still, we are, I suppose, well-equipped to help or be helped ANYWHERE! (joke0

Same as ours in the UGLE, we are taught of three different sets of Sign of G. and D.
One in England and Wales;
One for Scotland, Ireland, and the America;
One for Continental Europe...

Bloke

Premium Member
Same as ours in the UGLE, we are taught of three different sets of Sign of G. and D.
Same in Victoria

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

I would like to see something like this in the States. A good subject for my lodge's next discussion meeting.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I would like to see something like this in the States. A good subject for my lodge's next discussion meeting.
I remember someone coming down to our lodge from Mass and showing us several variants. Unfortunately, this subject would probably not fly in open lodge.
I mean im just guessing...but also standing with theMM dueguard is alot less conspicuous the the GHSD...only a MM is gonna notice the DUEGUARD

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app
That would still look a little weird. In fact, a GHSoD would look normal trying to flag down passing motorists.

Then again, if I'm doing the GHSoD, my wife is in labor or my passenger is severely injured or dying.

Otherwise, I would just be waiting for help.

Bloke

Premium Member
I wonder why you say this subject would not fly in an open mm lodge ? It's just the sort of thing we love and seeing this sort of thing was the first time I saw a due guard. We've debated the word in a mm lodge ( there are 3 slight variations here).... in lodge is a great place to seek and share light, freemasons seem to forget that..

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
And teach the wrong one for the US

Keith k. ACE Phx

Although you sound very inquisitive, I’ve been a mason for 3 years now MM for almost 2. From what I know you would never probably hear this phrase at any point in your life. Most men are to prideful and forget of the work at a time of crisis. I hear Michigan has millions of masons so in that state i could see the phrase being used but in my state where 5600 masons call home I had not heard or seen this yet and I am at almost every meeting and outings.