My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Lodge Committees

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Quick question, does one need to be a member of the Grand Lodge in order to Chair a Committee, or to even serve on one?

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Blake, I am fairly certain that one must be a member of Grand Lodge in order to chair a committee and for the most part, participate as a member . I believe that there are a few exceptions to this requirement for certain committies. I will be glad to research the question for you if you so desire.

L

lee c smith jr

Blake, I am pretty sure that one must be a past master to serve anywhere in Grand Lodge. I think the brother's name was David Lui, but he was GL Photographer for many years unchallenged without being a past master. One day someone made an issue and he could no longer be GL Photographer.

nick1368

After this weekend, it is very clear that you must be a PM in order to do anything on GL level. Last year, one of our members who is very active in GL and the Yorkrite Body told me he was going to try to get the GM to give me the appoint of "Grand Representative to Africa" but couldn't because I am not a PM. I thought he was kidding about the title until I found out that he was it!

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Blake,
While visiting the Masters Wardens and Secretaries Association of Dist 31 last evening, I did take a look at the constitution and found that there are several committies that allow Master Masons to fill some of the spots, however there is a requirement that these committies have a majority of Grand Lodge members, and the Chair of the committie must be a member of Grand Lodge ( Past Master).