My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Lodge of Georgia Bans Gay Men

Akiles

The right headline would be: Grand Lodge of Georgia forbids all kind of sexual activities......included homosexual activity...

Ironic mode on: In fact, I think they are really very open-minded because till now, they permit it......

Ironic mode off: That doesn't mean the homosexuals will be banned at that GL.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
If there is homosexual activity the homosexual Mason will be expelled. Therefore, I stand by my headline.
The way I understand the article causes me to agree with you. It mentioned adultery and homosexual activity. Well, homosexuals indulge in homosexual activity. Therefore, the way I take it is that they ARE banning homosexuals.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The dictionary definition of homosexual is one who is attracted to the same sex, as indicated in the name. One may or may not engage in sexual activity. To imply that gays cannot control their sexual urges seems inappropriate.
I understand this brother but why should they have to abstain from sexual relations in order to join a lodge? This is really the point I was trying to make "the times, they are a changin'". I am a conservative but I just feel it is wrong to ban someone because of their sexual orientation.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Interesting conversation. Some Masons appear to have sworn a different obligation than me. I swore that I would not have illicit sexual relations with certain close relatives of Brother Masons. The definition of the word illicit seems pertinent here. The obligation I took does not appear to require me have my Brothers approval for all my sexual partners, just those that are close relatives of theirs, and then only that they be acceptable in some fashion that prevents them from being illicit.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My obligation also used the word "illicit." Another that I have heard uses the phrase "violate the chastity of." I am guessing, in this case, that violate is the operative word, since neither my mother, my sister, nor my ex-wife could be considered "chaste" by definition.
Both versions elude to breaking laws. Being gay is no longer against the law and really shouldn't be regulated by Masonry.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Interesting conversation. Some Masons appear to have sworn a different obligation than me. I swore that I would not have illicit sexual relations with certain close relatives of Brother Masons. The definition of the word illicit seems pertinent here. The obligation I took does not appear to require me have my Brothers approval for all my sexual partners, just those that are close relatives of theirs, and then only that they be acceptable in some fashion that prevents them from being illicit.
The additional strictures are found in the GL laws we promise to follow and not, in my experience, set out separately in the ritual.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
My obligation also used the word "illicit." Another that I have heard uses the phrase "violate the chastity of." I am guessing, in this case, that violate is the operative word, since neither my mother, my sister, nor my ex-wife could be considered "chaste" by definition.
Both versions elude to breaking laws. Being gay is no longer against the law and really shouldn't be regulated by Masonry.
Well, atheism is not illegal either. Non-Adherence to Christianity is not illegal. Supplanting the goals of a Mason is not illegal either. We place higher standards on ourselves than "it is not illegal."

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
This is the way I see it.