My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed & Rectified Rite of the USA

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Earlier this month it was eluded to in the Grand Secretary's communication regarding the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed & Rectified Rite (CBCS) and the ability for Texas Masons to receive this degree. Word I am getting from a couple of people is that Texas Freemasons at this time are not allowed to receive the degrees of the CBCS per Grand Master. The issue is that I have not seen this edict, and it was talked around in previous communications.

As this develops I will share what I can.

S&F,

-Bro Vick

As this develops I will share what I can.

S&F,

-Bro Vick

Last edited:

Paul E. Wunsche

Brother Vick,
This is the Grand Masters decision, I hope this answers any questions.
QUESTION:
May a member of a constituent Lodge of the Grand Lodge of Texas accept an invitation from the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, or any related Masonic body, to take the three “Masonic” degrees of the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite of the United States of America?
ANSWER:
To: All Past Grand Masters, All Grand Lodge Officers, All Constituent Lodges and All Texas Masons Re: Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite of the United States of America
WHEREAS, The Constitution and Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas, Article III, paragraph 1, states “that the Grand Lodge shall be the supreme Masonic authority within the State of Texas,” and further states, that the Grand Lodge shall have the power to “enact and enforce all Laws and Regulations for the government of the Fraternity, and to alter, amend, and repeal the same at pleasure,” and
WHEREAS, it has come to the attention of the Trustees of the Grand Lodge of Texas that the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States of America, either directly or through a subordinate organization, is contemplating chartering subordinate bodies, purporting to be “Masonic” and with said organization being under the jurisdiction or direction of, or otherwise affiliated with, the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite of the United States of America, WHEREAS, the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite of the United States of America has been declared to be “irregular” by the Conference of Grand Masters of North America, and
WHEREAS, The Grand Master of the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar has requested that the Grand Lodge of Texas permit members of Texas Lodges to take three “Masonic” degrees of the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite by invitation only.
NOW, THEREFORE, as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas, the following decision is effective immediately:
That no subordinate or affiliated body of the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite operating under the auspices of the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite or of the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States of America shall be chartered, formed or permitted to operate within the Jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas. Further, that no Texas Mason witness or be involved in any way with the said Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite degrees. Any Texas Mason who is currently a member of such shall immediately do whatever necessary to renounce membership in said organization.

Paul E. Wunsche

Re: Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed & Rectified Rite of the USA

As I understand it and I may be wrong, it is where the Charter came from in the begining. It came from a Grand Lodge that was not recognized by not only the Grand Lodge of Texas but by many other Grand Lodges witin the United States. With that being said, Grand Master's General Order No.4 dated January 21,2013 has done away with the "Rectified Rites"

Ecossais

Brother Wunsche has some of his wires crossed on this. First of all, the organization created by William H. Koon, II, immediate Past Grand Master of the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, was officially called "The Grand Priory of the Reformed and Rectified Rite of the U.S.A." Note that the word "Scottish" does not appear in that title. It purported to confer the degrees of the old "Rectified Scottish Rite." Note that the word "Reformed" does not appear in the name of the Rite. The word "Reformed" only appeared in the title of Koon's bogus organization. It is true that the Grand Master's Decision issued in October included the word "Scottish" in reference to Koon's organization, but this was in error.

Secondly, Brother Wunsche stated that Texas Masons are not allowed to receive the degrees of the CBCS. The term "CBCS" is short for "Chevaliers Bienfaisants de la Cite Sainte," or Knights Beneficent of the Holy City, and refers to one of the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite. This is confusing, I know. But, the term "CBCS" has, for a long time, been a substitute term for the Rectified Scottish Rite, however incorrect it may be.

Nevertheless, the Grand Master's Decision did not bar Texas Masons from taking the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite. It barred them from accepting "an invitation from the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, or any related Masonic body, to take the three 'Masonic' degrees of the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite of the United States of America." In other words, it affirmed the position that Koon's "Grand Priory of the U.S.A." was irregular. The Rectified Scottish Rite is not irregular. But, the Grand Priory of the U.S.A. IS irregular.

The original old "Great Priory of America" which received a charter in 1934 is THE regular Great Priory of the Order in this country. Koon's irregular body was a usurper.

In answer to the question, "What makes them (the Grand Priory of the Reformed and Rectified Rite of the U.S.A.) irregular?" the answer is simple but multifaceted. I will ennumerate:

1.) It turns out that Wm. H. Koon II, PGM of the Grand Encampment, did not have a "charter" as he claimed. Rather, all he had was "letters of permission" allowing him and the Grand Encampment to confer the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite. So, the "Grand Priory" that he created was self-created and not "chartered" after all.

2.) The letters of permission were issued to Brother Koon by the Great Priory of Occitania, which is itself an irregular Great Priory of the Rectified Scottish Rite. There are only nine regular Great Priories of the Order in the world, located in Switzerland (the Mother Great Priory), America, England, France, Belgium and others, and they are all recognized by the Mother Great Priory in Switzerland, and all nine recognize each other. But, the "Great Priory of Occitania" is not one of them. Undoubtedly, there are other irregular and unrecognized "Great Priories" that confer the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite, just as there are irregular grand lodges that also confer the first three degrees.

3.) There is an annual conference of "Great Bodies in Amity" which includes three types of organizations: Knights Templar, Rectified Scottish Rite, and Swedish Rite Grand Lodges. I believe these are all listed in the Triennial proceedings of the Grand Encampment. If you look at that list, you will never see the "Great Priory of Occitania." Nevertheless, in December 2009, in his "Christmas Message" posted on the Grand Encampment website, Brother Koon stated that they had received a charter from "our good friends" at the Great Priory of Occitania. The immediate question that arises is: How did this obscure irregular Great Priory in southern France get to be such 'good friends' with Brother Koon and the Grand Encampment if they are not listed in the most recent Conference of Great Bodies in Amity? The only answer is that they became his good friends when they allegedly gave him a charter. Although, now we know that they did NOT give him a charter, but only "letters of permission."

4.) In early 2010, if you had gone to the website for this Great Priory of Occitania, you would have seen that the Grand Lodge of Occitania shared the website with the higher bodies of the Rectified Scottish Rite in Occitania. Obviously, the Grand Lodge is as irregular, unrecognized and virtually unheard of as the higher bodies of Occitania. An organizational chart that appeared on their website showed that the Grand Lodge and its Grand Master were subordinate to the Provincial Directory and Provincial Master of the Order, an arrangement that would have, by itself, made the Grand Lodge irregular.

5.) In 2010 there was only one regular and recognized Grand Lodge in France, and it was not the "Grand Lodge of Occitania" by a long shot. Therefore, any concordant body of that Grand Lodge would have been equally irregular.

6.) If you had gone to their website in early 2010 (and it may still be there) the Great Priory and Grand Lodge of Occitania had a list of links to other Grand and Great bodies with which they were "in amity" or recognition. Every one of these grand bodies listed (except one) was irregular and unrecognized, beginning with the Grand Orient of France (which admits women and atheists) and its concordant "Independent Great Priory of France," to the Grand Orient of Switzerland, equally as irregular. Of the twelve grand bodies in amity or relation with the Grand Lodge and Great Priory of Occitania, the one grand body that was listed that was not irregular was ... our Grand Encampment of the U.S.A. So, our Grand Encampment of the K.T. is caught in an embarrassing situation - listed alongside eleven irregular bodies, some of which admit atheists.

I could go on, but I think six reasons for irregularity should suffice.

tomasball

Premium Member
It's worth pointing out that the Great Priory of America is not on the list of masonic bodies approved by the Grand Lodge of Texas. It is therefore a breach of masonic discipline for a Texas Mason to belong to it.

Ecossais

Article 225 of the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas lists "Scottish Rite bodies." According to members of the Great Priory of America (G.P.A.) with whom I have spoken have told me that regular Great Priories of the Rectified Scottish Rite, including the G.P.A., have always been considered to fall under this designation. A number of Grand Masters and Past Grand Masters of the Grand Lodge of Texas have been and still are members of the G.P.A. So, if you disagree, then this is something you will have to argue with them.

tomasball

Premium Member
Well, let's examine that. Bodies are entered on the list by vote of the Grand Lodge, not by fiat of the Grand Master (or Past Grand Masters). I'm looking right now at a bound copy of the laws of the GLoT, dated 1932, which includes "Scottish Rite Bodies". If the Grand Priory of America was chartered in 1934, then it could not have been included in the vote that put "Scottish Rite Bodies" on the list. So, unless they claim to be subordinate to the SR bodies that existed when the law was written, the entry on the list does not affect them. Unless you want to argue that the term "Scottish Rite" by itself somehow conveys universal acceptance, in which case any number of spurious bodies claiming that title could enjoy the same inclusion.

tomasball

Premium Member
By that reasoning, I could go out tomorrow and charter the "Scottish Rite Motorcycle Club" and expect automatic recognition.