Have standards really been lowered?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by LAMason, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Bob Reed

Bob Reed Registered User

Read The Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual and The 32 Secret Paths of Solomon. Many will say there is nothing hidden when pressed because they have never bothered to look themselves. It just sounds cool to say. So much of the ritual is very alchemical. Heady stuff but it's fun to dig!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

I think you may have failed to credit a source:

“Dumbing down is a deliberate diminution of the intellectual level of education, literature, cinema, news, and culture. The term "dumbing down" originated in 1933 as movie-business slang, used by motion picture screenplay writers, meaning: "[to] revise so as to appeal to those of little education or intelligence".[1]”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbing_down

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  3. Browncoat

Browncoat Registered User

You seriously need to get out more often.

4. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

Ad hominem.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Tabasko likes this.
  5. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

“The faculty of imagination is the great spring of human activity, and the principal source of human improvement. As it delights in presenting to the mind scenes and characters more perfect than those which we are acquainted with, it prevents us from ever being completely satisfied with our present condition or with our past attainments, and engages us continually in the pursuit of some untried enjoyment, or of some ideal excellence. Hence the ardour of the selfish to better their fortunes, and to add to their personal accomplishments; and hence the zeal of the patriot and philosopher to advance the virtue and the happiness of the human race. Destroy this faculty, and the condition of man will become as stationary as that of the brutes.” – Dugald Stewart, Elements of the Philosophy of the Human Mind

6. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Lol alex jones.....That dude is effn nuts

7. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Hey dont know National Treasure that movie got my interest in the craft going when i was about 16...lol....i joined the craft at 27

JMartinez likes this.
  8. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered User

I just think all brothers need to remember that it's the internal and not the external. Also freemasonry should never be on the same pedestal as a country club. Our fraternity is based on diversity and equality.

Ripcord22A likes this.
  9. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Is it? If so, this is a relatively recent view. The abundant racism into the late 20th C is evident not only from justifications given by Claudy, but the refusal, still extant, to recognize Prince Hall. There are Scandinavian GLs which admit only Christians. Multiple appendant bodies admit only Christians. Until 1984, the GLs of the United Stares condoned the prohibition of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in membership in the GL of Utah.

coachn likes this.
  10. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered User

But is that Masonic?

11. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

1. By accepting Quantity as a method to cover costs.
    2. By advancing ill prepare Members.
    3. By restricting education to Organizational ends and not toward actual cultivation of the members toward Personal Mastery.
    1. ~1717
    1. By accepting Quantity as a method to cover costs.
    2. By advancing ill prepare Members.
    3. By restricting education to Organizational ends and not toward actual cultivation of the members toward Personal Mastery.
    1. Younger
    2. More immature
    3. More dependent
    4. Less well-read
    5. More misinformed
    1. By reviewing his past improvement efforts and successes
    2. By assessing his continued desire to improve and his plans to do so.
    3. By ascertaining his vision for the future.
    As much as I agree that dues have not kept up with inflation when compared to what was paid in years past, I must say that, from all available information, the expense of running a lodge has dramatically lessened when adjusted for inflation.

12. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

I agree that from what I have read, early members of Masonic Lodges were better/more broadly educated than members today and that it is not a recent (coinciding with the decline in membership) phenomenom.

coachn likes this.
  13. coachn

Yup. Furthermore, the standardizing of Freemasonry into an assembly line driven advancement society based upon memorization and regurgitation of misunderstood scripts does nothing more than produce non-freethinking plug-n-play performers who produce more of the same.

LCWebb and Morris like this.
  14. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

I agree with you completely. That being said, that might not be such a bad thing. Without the 'non-freethinking plug-n-play performers' we wouldn't have the numbers we have. And while I am certainly no proponent of quantity over quality, without those numbers we'd be hard pressed to find the quality brothers we're looking for.
    Putting a pamphlet on the windshield of every car in a parking lot to come to a job interview might result in the average applicant being less suitable, but you get a much larger pool from which to find the perfect fit.

coachn likes this.
  15. coachn

Yup. But the question was about dumbing down and not about the benefits of dumbing down, hence the furthermore. The problem that such dumbed down numbers brings thus becomes, "perfect fit for what?"

16. Browncoat

It's clear the Freemasonry has a problem at the local lodge level. While some lodges enjoy great success and its members fulfilled, the vast majority seem to be chock full of bored Masons who:
    • Often barely field enough officers to open the lodge
    • Have 10-20% attendance
    • Go through the motions and offer little else
    In short, the previous generation has not so much "made good men better" through Freemasonry. They have created the current state of affairs, and now it is left up to the new generation of Masons who are essentially young and dumb to fix things. Meanwhile, the old guard are often the ones standing in the way of progress being made. "In my day" and "when I was in the East" are the rallying cries of these men who don't want their lodges changed.

What is your proposed solution, Coach N?

Ethan W, LCWebb and coachn like this.
  17. coachn

To propose a solution would mean that there is a perceived problem. I do not see that there is a problem. Organizational Freemasonry is designed to do exactly what it does and the results you see are what it does by design. It shall continue to do exactly what it does into the future until it runs its course OR redesigns what it does to get different results. One cannot expect the results to change until it changes what it does.

18. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

19. Browncoat

Going out on a limb here, Coach...you've coined a term there, so I'll do my best to interpret:

Organizational Freemasonry - Boring people to death in Blue Lodge, whose sole purpose is to serve as a feeder for appendant bodies. Those bodies are where Masons actually "learn" about Freemasonry, while at the same time, paying more dues.

20. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

I am not sure the length of time you consider a generation to be, but based on the generally accepted time frame of about 25 years (http://www.ancestry.com/cs/Satellit...lt&pagename=LearningWrapper&cid=1265124426382) the problems you describe have existed much longer than one generation.

Share My Freemasonry