My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hebrews 6:1 KJV

rebis

Premium Member
Interesting passage in Hebrews 6.

Hebrews 6:1
King James Bible

A Call to Maturity

"1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3And this will we do, if God permit."

How do you perceive this verse?

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
In the late 16th and early 17th century, "principles" meant "basics" or "first parts". It did not mean "fundamental parts" or "important parts". The Greek word translated as "principles" is "arxes" (that's with an "eta" not an "epsilon"), which means "beginning" or "origin". The KJV translaters were perfectly accurate, if and only if one understands English as it was used in 1611. If you apply modern, 21st century English meanings to the archaic, 17th-century English words, you will get kooky results.

This is yet another reason why I have pity for the KJV-only movement, but that's a different issue.

BroBook

Premium Member
To me it is simply saying, we should not have to teach people what they should already know , but if we have time we will!!!

Bro Book