My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone!

LeoValMer05

My name is Jose, and I am a master mason from Puerto Rico that is living temporarily in Mexico. My Puertorican lodge is from the Scottish Rite, and is called Porvenir #88.

CLewey44

Can someone explain this to me? I'm not AASR but maybe I'm missing something.

"My Puertorican lodge is from the Scottish Rite, and is called Porvenir #88"

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
They use the Scottish Rite. They are not part of the AASR SJ, all protestations to the contrary.
Brother Glen, I am confused. What does he mean when he says that his lodge is "from the Scottish Rite" and what do you mean when you say they "use" the Scottish Rite? Also I thought that the AASR SJ had jurisdiction over U.S. territories which would include Puerto Rico.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Some of the lodges of that jurisdiction are reported to use as the symbolic degrees those of the Scottish Rite; sometimes known as the red degrees. That is the ritual they are reported to use.

However, the AASR-SJ governs no Grand Lodge. This would violate the doctrine of sovereignty over the symbolic degrees.

I edited my comment to make more sense.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Long story, but the Red Degrees are something one should not miss in person. You can find this practice remains active as close as Louisiana.

Been there, done that. Awesome.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Brother Glen, I am confused. What does he mean when he says that his lodge is "from the Scottish Rite" and what do you mean when you say they "use" the Scottish Rite? Also I thought that the AASR SJ had jurisdiction over U.S. territories which would include Puerto Rico.

You can find additional information relating to the Scottish Rite (Red Lodge) version of the initial 3 degrees in multiple locations throughout this site. Simply preform a “search” for any of the key words.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Some of the lodges of that jurisdiction are reported to use as the symbolic degrees those of the Scottish Rite; sometimes known as the red degrees. That is the ritual they are reported to use.
Got it.
However, the AASR-SJ governs no Grand Lodge. This would violate the doctrine of sovereignty over the symbolic degrees.
Oh...O.K. The AASR SJ has jurisdiction over the Orient of Puerto Rico but not over the GL.

Thank you for clearing up my misconceptions Brother. I get confused easily...lol.

dfreybur

Premium Member
While the Scottish Rite performs degrees 4 though 32, they do have scripts for degrees 1 through 3. When they work in regions with a grand lodge they don't use their own scripts for 1-3. There are regions of the world where SR jurisdictions arrived first and there they do perform the degrees 1-3 using their own scripts.

I've seen the French version of the 1st degree originating from Louisiana doing the so-called "red degrees" or SR scripts. The first degree is longer and more involved but contains very much the same material expanded.

When I took my AASR-SJ degrees in the previous generation of the scripts, there were events as late as the 8th degree that contained material from what I had experienced in my 3rd degree. This tells me that by the time we reach the 3rd degree in the SR system the content has diverged considerably. I figure any of us would recognize the overlap in either direction, so differences are matters of degree. If you've been following recent discussions of Pennsylvania retaining Antient origin material (or is it Modern origin material) it's probably that amount of difference.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
While the Scottish Rite performs degrees 4 though 32, they do have scripts for degrees 1 through 3. When they work in regions with a grand lodge they don't use their own scripts for 1-3. There are regions of the world where SR jurisdictions arrived first and there they do perform the degrees 1-3 using their own scripts.

I've seen the French version of the 1st degree originating from Louisiana doing the so-called "red degrees" or SR scripts. The first degree is longer and more involved but contains very much the same material expanded.

When I took my AASR-SJ degrees in the previous generation of the scripts, there were events as late as the 8th degree that contained material from what I had experienced in my 3rd degree. This tells me that by the time we reach the 3rd degree in the SR system the content has diverged considerably. I figure any of us would recognize the overlap in either direction, so differences are matters of degree. If you've been following recent discussions of Pennsylvania retaining Antient origin material (or is it Modern origin material) it's probably that amount of difference.
Thanks for the lesson Brother. I learn something every single day on this forum. Sad to say I learn much more here than I do in lodge.

Bloke

Premium Member

Indeed, and these are not just demonstrations - but how men receive the first three degrees. Some of those GLs are regular. I only learned this recently with Master Mason visitors from South America of SR GLs.. The most recent being from Chile "The Grand Lodge Of Chile is the only regular Masonic organization on Chilean territory. There are 200 Lodges that work under its obedience, of which 194 practice the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, two practice the York Rite and four practice the Schröder Rite. "

Source of the quote http://medianetworks.cl/logias/eng/glogia.htm

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Indeed, and these are not just demonstrations - but how men receive the first three degrees. Some of those GLs are regular. I only learned this recently with Master Mason visitors from South America of SR GLs.. The most recent being from Chile "The Grand Lodge Of Chile is the only regular Masonic organization on Chilean territory. There are 200 Lodges that work under its obedience, of which 194 practice the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, two practice the York Rite and four practice the Schröder Rite. "

Source of the quote http://medianetworks.cl/logias/eng/glogia.htm
Similarly, I understand in Brazil you can find these and the Rectified Rite.

Bloke

Premium Member
I have never heard of this. All that I could find on it is that it was created by Fredrick Ludwig Shroder in 1801 and is practiced primarily in Germany and Brazil.
I dont know much about it either beyond what you've said Bro Warrior, but there are many Craft Rituals beyond Emulation and Preston/Webb. Bro Glenn once posted a large list of them here.