Hello My name Is Nicholas

Discussion in 'Becoming a Freemason' started by Unique3rdEye, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Unique3rdEye

Unique3rdEye Registered User

I'm 21 years old from Barbados and i'd be more than glad to become 1 of many better men of society. I hope to be involved as much as possible while make many great memories along the way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using My Freemasonry mobile app

2. Unique3rdEye

**making

3. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

Hello, Nicholas can you go into more detail as to why do you want to be a Mason? You will neither become wealthy nor powerful, and to be a Mason can take up to 3 years of study and cost the equivalent of hundreds of US dollars. What talents can you contribute to the lodge?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

4. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

google grand lodge of barbados and find the lodge near to where you live or work and make an in person visit-Masonry is done face-to-face and NOT over the internet

Unique3rdEye likes this.
  5. Unique3rdEye

Those people who think just because they are a mason they will aquire automatic wealth and fame are the reason Society see's the brotherhood for what it's not, my purpose is to go deeper into the light of knowledge and to exercise more charitable work for my community, those within it and beyond.

Bloke, Keith C and CLewey44 like this.
  6. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Depends on juristiction.
    In some juristiction the first contact can be online.

7. Unique3rdEye

This was very helpful, but on another side note im Leaving Barbados In few weeks to return to nyc as a US citizen so petitioning here in Barbados with such limited time would it still make sense if i go to a Lodge here in Barbados?,or should Just wait and petition in nyc?

8. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

The petitioning process can take at least MONTHS in certain jurisidictions, particularly if you do not personally know an active Freemason. Better to petition in NYC.

CLewey44 likes this.
  9. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

I was very fortunate in that my sponsor and I went to the same church, so it was about three months for me. I think that I was given a petition on my sponsor's recommendation, took another month to be read at a stated meeting, then another month for the interview and background check and another month to be voted upon.

Warrior1256 and Unique3rdEye like this.
  10. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

If you show up without a sponsor, you would, at least in Texas, need to attend several months of meetings as a guest at the pre-meeting dinner while the brothers get to know you and are comfortable enough with you to give you a petition.

Unique3rdEye likes this.
  11. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Definitely wait. Find a lodge near you geographically and start by visiting there in person. Good luck, your intentions sound positive.

hfmm97 likes this.
  12. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

And even during the 3-month application process, I volunteered to help out at the pre-meeting dinners and any other public events to show how committed I was to becoming a member....

13. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

Mr Nicholas, this was my experience back in 1996, your mileage (kilometrage) might vary. PATIENCE is very important in anything Masonic, from application to study and advancement through the degrees.

14. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

I wish you good luck - one reason that we do not recruit is that Masonry is not your typical social club it is a lifestyle - also if your interest is any more than curiosity, the less that you know about the ritual work the better: a good read is "Freemasons for Dummies" by Chris Hodapp, which discusses among other things the history and philosophy of Masonry in a very basic and entertaining way

Lightlife likes this.
  15. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

While the online contact info might certainly be available, for various reasons (see Bro DFreybur's posts on this topic) I still believe that the most efficient way is to visit the lodge and meet the brothers face to face.

16. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Well, in some jurisdictions we do recruit, with the internet, billboards, television...

17. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Well in some juristictions non-masons are only welcome at certain times of the year and just showing up on a lodge night would have him kicked out.

18. Unique3rdEye

How can i get to know brothers in New York?

19. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

20. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

Share My Freemasonry