My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heraldry

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
At the suggestion of correspondents, I've posted this thread.

It has a particular Masonic significance as British Grand Lodges and some lodges have grants.

Heraldry is both a science, and an art. It has a language of its own in which the design is described in a blason; rules regarding the design; and rules regarding the use of the arms, enforceable by law in some jurisdictions. It is also history and genealogy, as we see the names of noble and, indeed ignoble, families traced over generations.

For the very most basic idea of design, see http://sydney.edu.au/heraldry/what_is_heraldry/elements_of_a_coat_of_arms.shtml

For a deeper discussion from a Scottish perspective, see scotarmigers.net. If you go to members' arms, you will see a decent representation.

FYI, the Lord Lyon King of Arms is a PGMM for Scotland.

Now, for adventure, you can do an internet search and discover Masonic arms.

Illuminatio

Premium Member
Very interesting stuff here! So, before I go on a wild goose chase through the internet now that you've motivated me, you seem to be a good person to hopefully answer a couple basic questions. :)

I did quite a bit of genealogy work and was able to trace my father's side back to northwestern France in the mid-late 1400's. That in mind, 1.) is Heraldry primarily a British/Scottish/that area thing, or is there a potential for my ancestors from France to also have a coat of arms out there somewhere? And if so, 2.) what would be the best direction you could point me to in tracking down such a thing? (I vaguely recall looking for one ages ago and getting pretty much nowhere.)

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Primarily a European thang, though certainly designs identified with a family may be found in any number of cultures.

Yes, there is a potential to be descended from an armigerous family, but not a great chance.

A worthwhile website is at http://www.heraldica.org/topics/france/

There is also a Wiki on French heraldry, but I've not reviewed it.

Bloke

Premium Member
Don't a lot of these "family coat of arms" just get made up and have no official standing ?

This is actually all very timely (late LOL).. and I was just writing about the Coat of Arms of District Grand Lodge Victoria (EC) which was in the fabric of a building here in Melbourne and none of us knew what it was. I was surprised at the lack of information about our own Grand Lodge Coat of Arms on the web... something I will need to fix, but i need to do more work on it first...

Thanks Bro Glen, that like to Sydney Uni was especially simple but important showing the different elements...

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Yes, but very often,the bucket shops will use someone's legitimate arms, and then fraudulently flog it as a "family coat of arms", of which there are none in Commonwealth heraldry (cf. Continental heraldry).