My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hidden Lessons From Ritual Work

Untitled 6.png

So many times we seem to look at Ritual Work as not being that important, and that it doesn't have to be done that well. We feel that just need to have more Masons for our Lodges. If we fail to share the teachings properly, who do you think looses?

I would like to have you think back to that first night, it could of been a warm or cool night, that we all share. That night we were so apprehensive , or for the sake of better words, confused as to what was going to happen. Those first words you heard said at the Lodge door, asking questions and wanting answers of you, and how you were treated was only the start of your Masonic life. That life that leads most of us on a continuous journey of Masonic travel the rest of our lives.

For some of us, who had to memorize the Degree and Obligations, we share something that no one else can understand. This task of learning them, that we choose to do, and we did. This struggle teaches us what we all can do with hard work and a true desire to accomplish things.

So many times I have listened to the lectures, and still I find them as interesting as the first time I heard them. Every time I hear them, I find a new perspective that I have missed before. I fear for those that do not choose to listen to them in this way, as they will never find the lessons that are taught there in Masonry.

And as for those that give those grand lectures, they learn as well. They learn how it feels to give that perfect lecture and also when they don't get it perfectly right! Most of the time just stopping for a moment to think or to taking a breath. I think we can all learn hidden lessons here too. How we should overlook everyone's little mistakes that we all make in life. Also to remember sometimes the best intentions go wrong by accident.

"Value Your Word"
For What Worth Hath a Liar!

Source: Bro. Micheal Mayer

Last edited:

dlee12882

Premium Member
In my opinion, I think the Ritual is the "Meat and Potatoes" of a successful lodge. I think of the of the initiation for example, as the Fraternity's first and ONLY shot at generating a thirst in the Candidate that only Masonry will quench. A well versed and executed initiation has a very distinct appeal to it that leaves us wanting more. The vocabulary alone is something spoken from a historical tounge, therefore intriguing but often misunderstood or not comprehended completely. Thus, it is important not only to focus on the ritual but have a STRONG Intender (Mentorship) program in place to answer any questions or give further instructions when ought be due.
Another aspect I feel should be emphasized is the garments furnished by the Lodge and why they are necessary. It can be an intimidating thing to walk into a Lodge room of many well spoken Brethren full of Masonic knowledge and not feel as adequate or educated as the rest. Stressing this particular part of the ritual will provide further confirmation for the Brother, or Candidate that he is indeed On the Level and at Home in such company.

I could talk about the importance of Ritual all day. I appreciate this post and thanks for sharing.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I hit like on the above post regarding ritual , but would note not all Lodges place candidates in the lodge clothes.

dlee12882

Premium Member
Thank you Brother Cook. I know how similar yet different our rituals can vary from State to State. I want to thank you for clarifying on the furnishing of garments. I have only experienced the Lodges that do furnish such items, but in all my "not so" infinite wisdom I know better than to speak for the entire fraternity. I never placed much thought on the practices out of my home state and just assumed that it was this common practice.
I do appreciate the insight.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
So not everyone is neither barefoot nor shod? Hmmm....as i travel and find these little nuances it makes me think that "as all xxx who have gone this way before" is not a true statement.....

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Thank you Brother Cook. I know how similar yet different our rituals can vary from State to State. I want to thank you for clarifying on the furnishing of garments. I have only experienced the Lodges that do furnish such items, but in all my "not so" infinite wisdom I know better than to speak for the entire fraternity. I never placed much thought on the practices out of my home state and just assumed that it was this common practice.
I do appreciate the insight.
Shoot, I know Masons who never place much thought on practices in their own state.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I hit like on the above post regarding ritual , but would note not all Lodges place candidates in the lodge clothes.

I'm confused you said this...than you say you've never encounter a candidate not in lodge clothes...ie neither barefoot nor shod?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I used that as an example....by lodge clothes we are talking about what the candidate wears during.degrees right? If not i apologize

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I've seen degrees in 3 lodges, 2 grand jurisdictions, and everytime they were clothed as such for the particular deg, rt, left, both provided by the lodge .....are you saying that some lodges the candidate must provide their own clothes?

xavier sweeney

It's fascinating the way some of the brothers know these lectures and speak with such passion. Ill never forget the same brother who gave lecture at my first 2 degrees.

it is a moment of awe, i knew the brother who gave me my lecture for quite some time. he was more passionate as i had ever seen him, and quite the teacher.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I've seen degrees in 3 lodges, 2 grand jurisdictions, and everytime they were clothed as such for the particular deg, rt, left, both provided by the lodge .....are you saying that some lodges the candidate must provide their own clothes?
Well, luckily, most people in today's world wear clothes! :). In UGLE and elsewhere, the candidate is prepared in his street clothes.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
it is a moment of awe, i knew the brother who gave me my lecture for quite some time. he was more passionate as i had ever seen him, and quite the teacher.

Good ritual is one part memorization mixed with one part of presentation, at least. I've had a couple guys cry at the Apron lecture, and at least two in tears as they go out at the end of the first section of the Masters... You present so all the brethren can hear, but your targeted audience is that Candidate...

dlee12882

Premium Member
Well, luckily, most people in today's world wear clothes! :). In UGLE and elsewhere, the candidate is prepared in his street clothes.
That's so interesting. I would love to go visit UGLE someday. I find it so interesting how our Craft can be so similar yet so different. I know this may be a far out analogy but it seems to be similar to a franchised fast food chain. The menu remains the same however the preparation and presentation of the meal will vary by location. Thanks for the insight.

dlee12882

Premium Member
Good ritual is one part memorization mixed with one part of presentation, at least. I've had a couple guys cry at the Apron lecture, and at least two in tears as they go out at the end of the first section of the Masters... You present so all the brethren can hear, but your targeted audience is that Candidate...
I am working on giving this lecture now. I have seen it presented in so many ways but every presenter has made it their own, delivering the material in a like manner but using different techniques to do it.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Taking the time to get your certification, and keeping it up, give you a whole lot of time to ponder the many lessons in the Work... Sometimes you don't get it until your mind is just right, and sometime the same phrases may teach several lessons, depending on the circumstances...