Highest Degree in Freemasony

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by MasterBulldawg, Jun 27, 2017.

1. MasterBulldawg

MasterBulldawg Registered User

What is the highest degree in Freemasonry ? I have my own opinion but this came up because a friend of mine got a letter from a appended body giving him a great honor in that body and said that it would probably be the highlight of his Masonic career but i disagree with that i think its that body pumping itself up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Thomas Stright likes this.
  2. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

In reality, depends on rite and culture.
    But in my opinion the highest is honestly the first degree.

3. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I believe Master Mason is the highest degree, everything else is appendant

WX2CIB, tldubb, Derek Harvey and 4 others like this.
  4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

As I recall, Idries Shah in The Sufis makes the comment that the reason that Freemasonry does not penetrate very far into the Mysteries is that Richard the Lionheart was only initiated into the early Sufi degrees.

If the import of the statement is correct then it is possible that brethren initiated into eastern orders could have introduced higher teachings (or even practices) into Masonry in the form of appended degrees.

One of the symptoms would be the ruling body appearing fully formed and not based on an alleged time-immemorial status

Lemegeton likes this.
  5. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

http://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-brother-asks-what-is-highest-degree.html
    http://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-brother-asks-about-highest-degree-post.html

6. BullDozer Harrell

BullDozer Harrell Registered User

If you're a Master Mason yourself then you have a duty to know that the 3rd degree is the last & highest degree in Craft Masonry today.

It hasn't always been this way. Seems to have developed concurrently with the modern Grand Lodge system. Even though, we tend to call it Ancient Craft degrees system.

Furthermore once you learn and grow confident that there's no degree higher than our 3rd, it gets easy to help a Brother & friend understand the Blue Lodge structure.

Outside of the Blue Lodge, there are appendant & concordant bodies that confer and practice side degrees as systems.

Warrior1256 and MBC like this.
  7. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

Brother Elexir I liked your post the moment I saw it and fully agree with it.

But the longer I thought about it the more it made sense to me. However, I think the idea of higher or lower is a distraction. I have long shared with brothers that I believe every single Masonic principle is contained in the EA degree. Notice I said principle and not every thing. Clearly there are words used in other degrees that are not in the EA degree. This does not however mean the principles or teachings of those degrees are not within the EA degree.

I love the first grade in the SRICF. It is beautiful and deeply moving. But when I stop and look at it there is no additional life lessons contained within this invitational bodies teachings that I wasn't exposed to in the EA degree. The title we received after our EA obligation is the same one we have on our last day.

Are there additional degrees, sure. Do some consider one degree higher than another, yep. Are they wrong, who knows. Am I right, no clue. But I am sure about this: I have more in common with an apprentice than a master. The moment I think differently I will probably make a fool of myself.

Now forget everything I said and realize the Blue Friars rule us all.:eek::eek:

MBC and SimonM like this.
  8. JamestheJust

Freemasonry being a science, I am a bit surprised to learn that there is such a limit.

Surely worthy brethren can progress further up the mysterious ladder?

I suspect that when the Grand Lodge of London and Westminster announced the loss of the genuine secrets they recognized their own ignorance and proceeded no further - awaiting time and circumstance.

Thomas Stright likes this.
  9. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Now that you mention it...

SimonM likes this.
  10. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

Their leader is always the one on TV speaking on behalf of Freemasonry.........

11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

The Logic is faulted, it connects taking degrees with progress and degrees limit progress. If I was a Buddhist, I'd say Buddha never took a degree, if I was a Muslim, I would point out Mohammad never took a degree, Christian, I would point out for Jesus, while the Master Mason Anders Behring Breivik took all three degrees but was rightly declared unfit for any of them.

MBC, GKA and Thomas Stright like this.
  12. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

A Brothers simply said that The number of degrees only marks time.
    To be fair, our third degree is only considerd the begining of our journey.

Chris5672 likes this.
  13. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

I think the point here is how far the degrees can take you into the mysteries. A degree would only higher than the 3rd if it have the potential to take the master mason further towards the Light.
    There are lots of persons who recieve the degrees and never understands the gift that has been given to them, and enlightend individuals who never takes a degree but still understands the Mysteries

MBC and Chris5672 like this.
  14. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Master Mason is the highest degree in Freemasonry. Everything else is lateral. You can receive grander titles or higher positions, but none of those are possible without first being a Master Mason.

If the SR hadn't attached numbers to its degrees, and if Time magazine hadn't created that "Structure of Freemasonry" graphic with the stair steps in the 1950s, I don't think the "higher" question would ever be asked.

15. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Im seriously starting to wonder if you are just messing with us man....its always the same post just worded differently.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Chris5672, GKA, Bloke and 2 others like this.
  16. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Alchemic in nature perhaps? Beyond that... I'm not sure a good correlation between degrees and knowledge attainment can be accurately made. At least not one that is consistent across all of Masonry. My limited understanding would suggest that progression up the "ladder" would be directly connected with the drive and desire of any specific brother and thus up to him what light he obtains.

17. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

That's a Secret_01.JPG

LK600 likes this.
  18. JamestheJust

Here we come to an interesting point: to what extent do ritual degrees result in inner progress.

And : does the symbolism of the 3 craft degrees of Freemasonry reflect the stages of inner progress that occur in humans of good will?

The answer seems to me to be that they do. Thus:

- the EA degree reflects the need to control physical desires and to aspire to right relationship
    - the FC degree reflect the need to establish right relationships (with Nature and with humans) and to develop mental skills
    - the MM degree reflects the need to become functional beyond the limits symbolized by death.

The above descriptions are consistent with the nature of the inner stages (degrees) as understood in the Western Esoteric Tradition (WET).

The WET lists further stages of inner growth but these are not so well reflected in the Scottish rite and I am unable to make an assessment of the Swedish rite.

The presence of further stages is symbolized on the EA TB by a ladder with a lot of rungs that goes all the way to the Blazing Star.

Further details are available in the Mithraic ladder - where there are 7 rungs/degrees each with 3 working tools, and the final step takes the initiate to a star.

sudo likes this.
  19. JamestheJust

Alchemy is one of the applications of Masonic Science. Others include the structure and placement of sacred buildings, management of sacred landscapes that extend from E to W and N to S and from the center of the Earth to the Heavens, the perfection of humans, and knowledge of and access to cosmic forces that shape Existence.

These of course can be misused so the brethren practice secrecy in case they discover any of the genuine secrets.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  20. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

The 3° is the highest degree. Receiving honors like the 33°, OPC, KYCH, etc are honors that body or rite can bestow.

Share My Freemasonry