My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highest Degree in Freemasony

Bloke

Premium Member
Non-Masons and young Masons alike want to equate degrees with rank similar to the military. That's not the case.
I know the Red Cross of Constantine Intendant General and the SR SGIG of my state. In a Blue Lodge setting, neither means diddly; they are Master Masons. I'd wager that the majority of Masons across the state have no idea what those titles even are, and that includes ones who have taken YR or SR degrees.
When I was a FC, a friend asked me, if Freemasons are all equal, why do you have ranks? I thought about it for a moment, and said Masonic rank is not about privilege, its about your responsibility. I remember my answer because, being young in Freemasonry, I silently thought that I hoped my answer was right.... but, yep, I think it is. It definitely should be !

BullDozer Harrell

Non-Masons and young Masons alike want to equate degrees with rank similar to the military. That's not the case.
I know the Red Cross of Constantine Intendant General and the SR SGIG of my state. In a Blue Lodge setting, neither means diddly; they are Master Masons. I'd wager that the majority of Masons across the state have no idea what those titles even are, and that includes ones who have taken YR or SR degrees.
Well said Companion, you would know to not show up at a Blue Lodge meeting dressed in Royal Arch regalia. Lol

BullDozer Harrell

When I was a FC, a friend asked me, if Freemasons are all equal, why do you have ranks? I thought about it for a moment, and said Masonic rank is not about privilege, its about your responsibility. I remember my answer because, being young in Freemasonry, I silently thought that I hoped my answer was right.... but, yep, I think it is. It definitely should be !
Thanks for giving me a perfect way of explaining Masonic rank and titles. Not about an increase in privileges or power, they're mainly about new levels of responsibility & work within the Fraternity. I like it.

BullDozer Harrell

a990bb5c23a4fb76e7e8ba5f8f04fdcf.jpg

Sent from Android using My Freemasonry mobile app

CLewey44

[QUOTEhilarious rd22A, post: 180442, member: 14320"]Yup...was driving so i didn't proof read cause there light turned green

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app[/QUOTE]
Lol...hilarious...happens to me too...

BullDozer Harrell

Booty necessarily true, during our installations the principal officers of the YR tend to showup in their regalia, also they come to stated communications to invite brothers to events and they wear their regalia then as well

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app
Ha ha, Brother Rip you know what i mean. Those things do happen under special circumstances.

But normally a YR or SR Mason will drop his rank & titles in the appendant bodies at the Blue Lodge door.

MarkR

Premium Member
What do you mean when you say they wear their regalia to stated communications? Like lapel pins and/or rings, or Commandery uniforms and chapter collars? Because I sometimes have a Scottish Rite lapel pin on, but I'd certainly never show up wearing my cap!

As far as inviting brothers to events, getting reports on the activities of concordant/appendant bodies is a regular part of our lodge agenda.

BullDozer Harrell

What do you mean when you say they wear their regalia to stated communications? Like lapel pins and/or rings, or Commandery uniforms and chapter collars? Because I sometimes have a Scottish Rite lapel pin on, but I'd certainly never show up wearing my cap!

As far as inviting brothers to events, getting reports on the activities of concordant/appendant bodies is a regular part of our lodge agenda.
Yep we do the same at our Monthly Stated Communications as far as the occasional invitations and announcements of appendant& concordant bodies events. But we definitely don't allow anything that hints of a Chapter, Council, Commandery, Conclave or Consistory meeting. Though most of the MMs in my Lodge belong to one or another body. Sometimes all of them.

A ring or lapel pin advertising the YR, SR & Shrine is perfectly normal. Truthfully i think as long as it's a subtle display, it's actually very complimentary to a Brother's good look when he's dressed to the nine in his suit.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor

No i mean their apron and collar. SR obviously doesnt wear their caps

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
There's no way that they should be permitted to wear chapter or council aprons and collars in blue lodge.

http://www.ramint.org/downloads/FERVENCY&ZEAL.pdf

This is just one example of when it would be appropriate to wear Chapter regalia in a blue lodge meeting. There are similar programs for the York Rite as a whole were Chapter, Council, and Commandery regalia is worn as part of a program.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I wear my red coat to Blue Lodge functions from time to time because I am there officially representing the Grand Chapter in some capacity. I don't wear my apron or collar, but I wear my coat and name badge. I don't wear it to random Blue Lodge meetings, only when I am representing/promoting the Grand Chapter.

My choice of lapel pin (and I wear only one at a time) is always YR related at any Masonic event, usually KYCH or Red Cross. The only time I wear a S&C lapel pin, oddly enough, is to non-Masonic functions because I figure it is more recognizable to the general public.