My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highest Degree in Freemasony

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
http://www.ramint.org/downloads/FERVENCY&ZEAL.pdf

This is just one example of when it would be appropriate to wear Chapter regalia in a blue lodge meeting. There are similar programs for the York Rite as a whole were Chapter, Council, and Commandery regalia is worn as part of a program.
And that specific purpose seems appropriate to my ear, much like Job's Daughters or Rainbow during an installation. I had the idea it was being done for no particular reason.

In UT, the Mark lodge with confer that degree in the blue lodge in Mark regalia.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I wear my red coat to Blue Lodge functions from time to time because I am there officially representing the Grand Chapter in some capacity. I don't wear my apron or collar, but I wear my coat and name badge. I don't wear it to random Blue Lodge meetings, only when I am representing/promoting the Grand Chapter.
Exactly!

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
And that specific purpose seems appropriate to my ear, much like Job's Daughters or Rainbow during an installation. I had the idea it was being done for no particular reason.

In UT, the Mark lodge with confer that degree in the blue lodge in Mark regalia.

Yeah if a RAM just showed up wearing chapter regalia for no reason this would be a problem. I love that you have a Mark Lodge. Does the charter of the lodge refer to it as a chapter of RAM or to a lodge of Mark?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Im not a YR Mason so im a bit confused.....how does this work? Is the Mark degree separate from the rest of the RAM in UT? If so how does the Grand Chapter feel about that?

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app
The GM and the GHP signed the charter establishing the Mark Lodge. We are subordinate to the Grand Chapter. You may take your degree in your Chapter or the Mark lodge.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
What is the highest degree in Freemasonry ? I have my own opinion but this came up because a friend of mine got a letter from a appended body giving him a great honor in that body and said that it would probably be the highlight of his Masonic career but i disagree with that i think its that body pumping itself up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app
I equate it to high school. Senior is the highest you can go. However, a senior can join the chess club, math club, debate team ... pretty much any extra curricular program out there. They can receive rewards from those clubs. Distinct honors that are real.

But, at the end of the day, they are still just a senior in high school.

FriendshipCube

house of the temple washington dc.jpeg

-Master Mason, John Russell Pope

Canadian Paul

Scottish craft lodges may work the 'Ceremony of the Mark' as an extension of the FC degree. By agreement with the Royal Arch we work it only on MMs, and our Mark 'degree' is recognised by the Grand Chapter of Newfoundland and Labrador.

In May 2016 my lodge conferred the Mark on a class of 21 brethren drawn from the other 7 Scottish Lodges in the area. As our lodge room isn't very large, those parts of the ceremony that required all 21 candidates to be on the floor of the lodge at the same time required some interesting 'logistics', which our Mark Deacon and his Assistant handled with military precision. It was a most enjoyable evening, with many visitors who already had the Mark from our Scottish lodges , as well as many from lodges under our sister jurisdiction, the GL of Newfoundland and Labrador, who had received their Mark in a Royal Arch Chapter. I am informed that their ceremony differs from ours only in minor details.

MasterBulldawg

In US Masonry, it is popular to say that MM is the highest. However, as noted by Elixer, that is not the case in all Rites, particularly his.<br /><br />I would be interested to know what body extended the invitation/honor.

The body in the invitation / honor is not really the point. The point is that I do not think a appended body should be claiming their honor would be the be the highlight of someone's Masonic career. But it could also be that I'm a blue Lodge Homer as I have gone through the Scottish Rite but I really don't see what the fuss is all about there. No offense to people who like the Scottish Rite it's just that it's not my thing in the blue Lodge is and after my Scottish Rite experience I have decided not to venture out into any more side degrees.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The body in the invitation / honor is not really the point. The point is that I do not think a appended body should be claiming their honor would be the be the highlight of someone's Masonic career.

However, upon more attentive consideration, an honor is different than the "highest degree." An appendant body honor may, indeed, be the "highlight of someone's Masonic career." That is not to say that it is the highest degree in Freemasonry. It may not even be a degree, such as KYCH. This is a reason to ask what the body is, but I understand if you wish to avoid identifying the organization.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
Sorry to dig up an old post,
In England and Wales (UGLE), Master Mason degree is considered to be the highest, as the Grand Master also have Master Mason degree like all others do.
However, it is not considered complete until you receive Supreme degree of the Holy Royal Arch (requirement of exaltation is 4 weeks MM)