My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highest Degree in Freemasony

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
Yes, I have heard this and like the idea.

I found that quite making some sense as it discovers the genuine secrets of a MM which was lost in the Third Degree.
The First Grand Principal (equals to your Grand High Priest, but we have Zerubbabel, Prince of the People being the first, rather than the Prophet or the High Priest) is de facto our Grand Master in the Craft.
And all Royal Arch masons are encouraged to wear the Royal Arch jewel in Craft meetings to display the indissoluble link between Craft and Chapter.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I found that quite making some sense as it discovers the genuine secrets of a MM which was lost in the Third Degree.
The First Grand Principal (equals to your Grand High Priest, but we have Zerubbabel, Prince of the People being the first, rather than the Prophet or the High Priest) is de facto our Grand Master in the Craft.
And all Royal Arch masons are encouraged to wear the Royal Arch jewel in Craft meetings to display the indissoluble link between Craft and Chapter.
I like it! As you can see I am a Royal Arch Mason. I really like the AASR but I love the YR.

Keith C

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Interesting, here in PA we are to only wear one pin and only one representing the body you are in (i.e a S&C in Blue Lodge) additionally the only jewels to be worn are those of the currently installed and appointed officers or PMs. This was recently covered in an article in the GL Magazine on proper masonic dress. This is variably enforced as we have a few brothers who's lapels look like Idi Amin's military jacket with all the pins they wear!

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
@Keith C There’s a big difference in the HRA jewel and a lapel pin. The Tercentenary Jewel is also now recommended for all UGLE Masons.

Keith C

@Keith C There’s a big difference in the HRA jewel and a lapel pin. The Tercentenary Jewel is also now recommended for all UGLE Masons.

I am sure there is a difference, but the GLofPA only allows items to be worn that are part of the body meeting. Again, I have not seen it enforced at all, but nothing is supposed to be worn in Blue Lodge from any appendant body.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The highest degree in Masonry is the 3rd Degree...all the other houses are just Dues cards.....
Although I agree that third degree MM is the highest degree I wouldn't say all others are just dues cards as this seems to diminish their importance. I would simply say that they are additional degrees.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Fellow Craft or Mark Master?
The highest degree for full membership within the Society of Free & Accepted Masons (AKA the "Freemasons") was originally the Apprentice Prime Degree (which was eventually split into the now EA subprime and FC subprime when the PGL realized it was spending far too much time making FCs to run lodges.). The EA Prime Degree was all that was required to become a full member and Brother within the society.

To run a lodge, though, you had to go through the master's part which made you a "fellow of the craft". However, it was a degree that only allowed you to sit in the East; it was not a higher degree.

BTW - trivia moment - Amongst "fellows and brothers" is a direct reference to members (brothers) and those who ran the lodge (fellows).

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The highest degree for full membership within the Society of Free & Accepted Masons (AKA the "Freemasons") was originally the Apprentice Prime Degree (which was eventually split into the now EA subprime and FC subprime when the PGL realized it was spending far too much time making FCs to run lodges.). The EA Prime Degree was all that was required to become a full member and Brother within the society.

To run a lodge, though, you had to go through the master's part which made you a "fellow of the craft". However, it was a degree that only allowed you to sit in the East; it was not a higher degree.

BTW - trivia moment - Amongst "fellows and brothers" is a direct reference to members (brothers) and those who ran the lodge (fellows).
Great info coachn, thank you. I learn much more about Masonry on this forum than I do in lodge!

CLewey44

Was this membership similar to Amazon Prime?

frehm

Swedish Rite is very different in some ways.
The hierachry is obvious, with the X:th and the R&K being the very highest.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
There was an argument about a degree called “Master of Arts and Sciences” is the highest degree in Craft Masonry when the two Grand Lodges at rivalry before the amalgamation of both.
This degree is literally the Chair degree (WM), now we commonly call “Inner Working” which is a ceremony but not a degree.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry