My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honorary Masons? (KRS1 specifically)

Joseph Thornton

What is an honorary mason? Is there such a thing?

I saw a youtube video where KRS1 claims to be an honorary 32nd degree mason because of his devotion to Masonic research. I assumed he was full of it and no such thing existed and I haven't given it another thought.

Then I see a topic on this forum asking if Shaq is an honorary mason. So now I am wondering, if it's real and what is it?

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

I saw a youtube video where KRS1 claims to be an honorary 32nd degree mason because of his devotion to Masonic research. I assumed he was full of it and no such thing existed and I haven't given it another thought.

Then I see a topic on this forum asking if Shaq is an honorary mason. So now I am wondering, if it's real and what is it?

KRS1 is not a freemason. Shaq is. Not sure if he did the one day degree thing or the mason at sight but he is a freemason nonetheless.
shaq.jpg

dfreybur

Premium Member
Does being made a mason on sight extend to regular GL or is it just a PH thing ?

In the list of landmarks is one that says the Grand Master of Masons in a jurisdiction has the authority to make a "Mason at sight". Not all jurisdictions publish their list of landmarks so it is not always clear if this one counts in your jurisdiction. Many jurisdictions do publish their list of landmarks and it is not included in some of those lists. In some jurisdictions it is clear one way or the other. Not unique to PHA. Whether a MWGM has the authority varies by GL.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Not allowed under GLoTX:

Art. 35. (35). Mason at Sight Prohibited.
The Grand Master has no power or authority to make Masons at sight. This Grand Lodge will not recognize any mode of making Masons in
this Jurisdiction other than in a regular Lodge and after previous investigation, regular election and due inquiry into the character
of the candidate.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Concerning the "Honorary Freemason". I've always wondered is a honorary freemason actually considered a worthy brother due to the fact that they were not initiated, passed, and raised.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Concerning the "Honorary Freemason". I've always wondered is a honorary freemason actually considered a worthy brother due to the fact that they were not initiated, passed, and raised.

An honorary membership is different from a mason at sight or a one day degrees freemason. Not sure if the blue lodge even does them but the Scottish Rite might. Not sure. But an honorary freemason wouldn't be able to actually visit a lodge or have any voting privileges. The other two are freemasons whether brothers like the way they were made or not.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
This is what I found on an other site. Let's ask @Glen Cook . He would probably know. http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2011/06/making-masons-at-sight.html
Br. Freyburger summed it up. As an example, Utah does not give the GM those powers.

It is worthwhile to distinguish what is meant by the term. For some, it means the GM opens a Lodge and says you are a Freemason. This was done for Masons petitioning two appendant bodies this last week by their presiding officers, both of which granted that power in their laws.

Others require the individual actually take obs. Others require membership in a lodge. Consequently, there is no consistent usage of the term for those that do allow the practice.

I will say, that I have never heard of an honorary Freemason, and based on my curmudgeonly opinion would not be in favor. I would tell them to get off my lawn.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
An honorary membership is different from a mason at sight or a one day degrees freemason. Not sure if the blue lodge even does them but the Scottish Rite might. Not sure. But an honorary freemason wouldn't be able to actually visit a lodge or have any voting privileges. The other two are freemasons whether brothers like the way they were made or not.
I've only heard of men being made masons in one day as hearsay. Is that real ? If so is it both GL that allow it or just one ?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I've only heard of men being made masons in one day as hearsay. Is that real ? If so is it both GL that allow it or just one ?
Any number of GL's do accelerated classes, one day classes, two day classes, Grand Master classes. If you do an internet search or, indeed, a search of this list, you should find enough information to keep you from anything useful for a few days.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

Masons at sight depends on jurisdiction. One day or accelerated as Bro Cook says can be done at the discretion of the Grand Master. I believe it can be done in either jurisdiction. You would probably have to have a compelling reason though like going into the military or a person was terminally ill or perhaps a celebrity. Above my pay grade.

Randy81

Premium Member

I think I may have caught a bit of that clip on youtube. He was talking out of his neck. He stated that Masons trust him with their secrets, etc...

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
I think I may have caught a bit of that clip on youtube. He was talking out of his neck. He stated that Masons trust him with their secrets, etc...

I am sure the clandestine ones gave him all of their's or sold it to him. What a joke!

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

He talks a liitle out his neck but over all this clip isnt terrible

Frankly, when you start mentioning the Illuminati, I stop listening. Much of what he said you could pick up on the internet. Rappers in particular love to talk about the Illuminati because most of their fans will believe anything.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
He was defending us against the claim that the illuminati and freemasons are the same. He was asked to respond to claims that he was both a mason and an illuminati