My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honorary Masons? (KRS1 specifically)

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
He was defending us against the claim that the illuminati and freemasons are the same. He was asked to respond to claims that he was both a mason and an illuminati

I watched it before and have no intentions of watching it again. I wasn't impressed. I will leave it at that. KRS-ONE is considered some to be a little crazy. But he is a scholar and a scientist in his mind. http://ia802307.us.archive.org/10/items/KRSOne_at_Stanford_Audio_Fragment_3_of_3/KRSgoesoffpt2c.mp3

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
Masons at sight depends on jurisdiction. One day or accelerated as Bro Cook says can be done at the discretion of the Grand Master. I believe it can be done in either jurisdiction. You would probably have to have a compelling reason though like going into the military or a person was terminally ill or perhaps a celebrity. Above my pay grade.
I wonder if being made at sight due to celebrity status should be viewed as bringing someone to the level at site or just further elevating that individuals status due to their celebrity. Celebrity or not, they are still a man under the fatherhood of the GAOTU and should at the very least take the obligations. I thought ours was to protect the gates... I don't know it just leaves a gap for me to be honest...the whole made at sight thing. I don't have to like it, I know, but still...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I wonder if being made at sight due to celebrity status should be viewed as bringing someone to the level at site or just further elevating that individuals status due to their celebrity. Celebrity or not, they are still a man under the fatherhood of the GAOTU and should at the very least take the obligations. I thought ours was to protect the gates... I don't know it just leaves a gap for me to be honest...the whole made at sight thing. I don't have to like it, I know, but still...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app
Again, the form of making a Mason at sight varies. As to protecting the gates, might one not conceed that the Grand Master understands that duty?

dfreybur

Premium Member
What are your thoughts on accelerated classes ?

It works for some and therefore I favor them. Illinois has a program that does FC and MM as a class, similar idea. Tons of graduates of the program end up very active in the line. My line sequence (all of the officers who preceded and followed me) had more than one graduate of the program. It works. We're sworn adopted kinfolk and that's that to me.

Many want their degrees individually and I definitely favor that. I like it when a candidate chooses this option but I long ago figured out that the degrees are about the candidates not about me so I support a new guy whichever choice he makes. I very much like that a lot of the young guys want the long form of everything.

As to Mason at Site in a jurisdiction that allows it, I figure the less it's used the more it means. Several years ago the grand lines of Illinois and Missouri teamed up to confer Mason at Site on a grandson of PGM Harry Truman. In Illinois the power of the GM to make a man Mason on Site is used as the source authority for any program of all the way in one day. Illinois hasn't done all three degrees in the same day in well over a decade, likely because the program that offers FC+MM together works well and keeps the pipeline clear.

Bloke

Premium Member
For the record, our GL is silent on making a Mason at sight..... it is not even on our radar to prohibit it. Is making a mason at sight purely a USA thing ?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The reference I see most quoted is Albert G Mackey's "Landmarks."

LANDMARK EIGHTH
The Prerogative of the Grand Master to Make Masons at Sight, is a Landmark which is closely connected with the preceding one. There has been much misapprehension in relation to this Landmark, which misapprehension has sometimes led to a denial of its existence in jurisdictions where the Grand Master was perhaps at the very time substantially exercising the prerogative, without the slightest remark or opposition.
It is not to be supposed that the Grand Master can retire with a profane into a private room, and there, without assistance, confer the degrees of Freemasonry upon him. No such prerogative exists, and yet many believe that this is the so much talked of right of "making Masons at sight." The real mode and the only mode of exercising the prerogative is this: The Grand Master summons to his assistance not less than six other Masons, convenes a Lodge, and without any previous probation, but on sight of the candidate, confers the degrees upon him, after which he dissolves the Lodge, and dismisses the Brethren. Lodges thus convened for special purposes are called "Occasional Lodges." This is the only way in which any Grand Master within the records of the institution has ever been known to "make a Mason at sight." The prerogative is dependent upon that of granting dispensations to open and hold Lodges. If the Grand Master has the power of granting to any other Mason the privilege of presiding over Lodges working by his dispensation, he may assume this privilege of presiding to himself; and as no one can deny his right to revoke his dispensation granted to a number of Brethren at a distance, and to dissolve the Lodge at his pleasure, it will scarcely be contended that he may not revoke his dispensation for a Lodge over which he himself has been presiding, within a day, and dissolve the Lodge as soon as the business for which he had assembled it is accomplished. The making of Masons at sight is only the conferring of the Degrees by the Grand Master, at once, in an Occasional Lodge, constituted by his dispensing power for the purpose, and over which he presides in person.

acjohnson53

upload_2016-1-13_15-23-3-png.4915

Joseph Thornton

2 pages of conversation, all of which I really appreciate for the insight and for the sake of just having something to read.

But no one answered the question. At 55 seconds into the video he says "I am considered a 33rd degree maser mason" and he says "I am an honorary member". The question is, is there such a thing as an honorary mason and if so what is it?

I saw the video and blew off his claim as smoke. If it is smoke, I don't care if he says other good stuff mixed in. I know I cant trust him. I saw a post here asking if Shaq was an honorary mason. Which inspired me to wonder, could it be? Could my assumption of KRS1's claim been hasty?

I am not asking if Shaq is a mason. I am not asking if KRS1 is a mason. I am not asking if he has nice things to say to defend Freemasonry. All of this and the topic of MM in a day is very interesting to know. Honestly. I did find it useful. But the question has gone without an answer.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
It doesn't really matter to be honest. Appendant bodies maybe could make you an honorary member but you would have no voting privileges or couldn't even visit a blue lodge. It is just a title.

BroBook

Premium Member
I just finished a book " inside the worlds oldest secret society " and the author claims that Ronald Reagan was an honorary something, so there might such a thing, I would guess it would be akin to having a honorary PHD, you can be called Dr. But you don't know nothing, IJS.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
I just finished a book " inside the worlds oldest secret society " and the author claims that Ronald Reagan was an honorary something, so there might such a thing, I would guess it would be akin to having a honorary PHD, you can be called Dr. But you don't know nothing, IJS.

Looks like he was honorary member of the Imperial Council of the Shrine & Scottish Rite. Not a freemason. Those are appendant bodies and as such they can not confer the title freemason on anyone. That should answer the OP's question as well. http://www.mastermason.com/wilmettepark/pres.html

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Very interesting, was not aware that President Lincoln petition a Masonic lodge. As if being a freemason could get a man more votes ha ha

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
If I'm not mistaken, some PH lodges have considered Martin Luther King JR a honorary mason

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app