My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i become a bro?

scialytic

Premium Member
Find a local Lodge, have a few dinners with them before the meetings (they will likely be complimentary if you are a genuine seeker of Light), and petition if you are so inclined. I would highly recommend investing the time to talk with several local Lodges and "interview them"--as you will be spending a lot of time with them in the future. Figure out if they are focused on charity, education, fellowship, etc., and make an educated decision.

When you find the right one, you'll know, but I would still encourage spending a bit of time with several Lodges in your area. If you only have one Lodge in you vicinity, remember that Masonry is an individual Journey. You have Brethren and they should, and will, play a large role in your betterment; but it is really up to you to internalize the lessons and apply them as you need.

So if you don't connect with the people--it isn't about them--we aren't the Rotary or Lions...this is about YOU. I say this because a lot of people don't seem to understand that coming in. All I have met that complete the first three degrees in Masonry are truly better Men because of it.

It is important to realize that when you (at least most Men) were becoming truly devoted to your Faith, there were/will be many "complications" and "detourants" to bettering yourself. When you are making yourself a better Man and strengthening your relationship with G-d, there will always be things/issues that come up to try and prevent you from doing both. Good luck, Friend.

Graham
Master Mason
Sam P. Cochran #1335
Love Field Chapter #396
Love Field Council #478
Texas Lodge of Research
Scottish Rite Research Society (SRRS)
Grapevine Chapter #326, Order of Eastern Star
A.&A.S.R., Orient of Texas, Valley of Dallas, S.J., U.S.A.

andrew626

Very interesting, thank you very much for all the advice and vital information.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
It's always easy for a brother to recommend his own lodge so I'll do that. Pasadena 272 is on Cordova and Euclid a block south of the Mall in Pasadena. We have a family dinner on the second Tuesday that's an open event. Take your family and ask to be introduced around. Tell them you asked one of their members on-line how to become a Mason and he sent you. Plan on going to a few events before they give you a petition. That gives them time to get to know you. Our web site is www.emasons.org

There are plenty of lodges in the area north of downtown LA. There's a lodge locator off the GL web site www.freemason.org.

andrew626

Ill be honored to go to your lodge for the family dinner.Is there a dress code? I have great food that must go around.:)

Freemason Connect Mobile

chrmc

And not to be an ass, but a Bro is something you find a the club who you go chasing women with. A Brother on the other hand is a person that has your back for life and that you can lean on.
Small, but important difference ;)

crono782

Premium Member
And not to be an ass, but a Bro is something you find a the club who you go chasing women with. A Brother on the other hand is a person that has your back for life and that you can lean on.
Small, but important difference ;)

Roxbury.jpg

Approves.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Ill be honored to go to your lodge for the family dinner.Is there a dress code?

If you have to work and only have time to pick up your family, come as you dress for work and no apology. We're a dress up club who value work. The work part has priority over the dress up part. If you do have time for a button down shirt and non-jean pants please do. Maybe even add a bolo tie.

I offer an opposing opinion on "bro" - In Masonry we use abrevs by the metric tn. We use so many abrevs it can seem like we're brewing a kettle of alphabet soup. Most Worshipful Grand Master is MWGM and so on in an endless list. Bro is yet another abrev used in writing. In speech we do pronounce the entire word brother.

andrew626

Okay ,ill dress up and try to find a bolo tie.I work at a cabinet door mill ,so ill be dusty .I'll get dressed and on time.once was a security guard and have a black and white suit.not all my kin can make it ,is that fine?
I truly am interested in learning more of freemasonry.

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
Hah, I haven't seen a bolo tie worn in some years! Thought they didn't make them anymore. ;) That's fine if all your kin can't make it. There will be much time for that later. The first meeting is really about you anyways. You will be fine, don't worry. It is polite to come dressed at least in business casual (slacks and a polo or button down), but come as you can. Masonry and Masons will regard you by what they see inside of you and not how you appear on the outside. Good luck, friend!

dfreybur

Premium Member
Okay ,ill dress up and try to find a bolo tie.I work at a cabinet door mill ,so ill be dusty .I'll get dressed and on time.once was a security guard and have a black and white suit.not all my kin can make it ,is that fine?
I truly am interested in learning more of freemasonry.

Showing up matters the most. The rest is nice but optional.

First Monday is the stated meeting - Go ahead and show up 6:30ish on your own. Knock on the door, introduce yourself and tell them you asked one of their members how to become a Mason and he sent you. One of the brothers will show you around and introduce you around as the rest of the members arrive.

Second Monday is the family dinner - Showing up is the important part the rest is nice but optional. Showing up dusty, think of that as the result of honorable work. Having time to change and pick up your family, nice but if you don't have time show up as you are.

andrew626

Okay great.I'll be glad to go and meet the brothers in pasadena.thank you for inviting me .

Freemason Connect Mobile

andrew626

Went to the family dinner and met official masons and felt very welcome. I got my application already with a signature, just one more then I can turn it in.cant wait to be official.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
Say high to the several Ron's and Greg's for me! Enjoy the process. Being in Texas it's unlikely I will be able to attend any of your degrees.

andrew626

Alright Doug, ill tell them you said hi.its okay,as long as were future brothers.thank you for showing me the right direction.

Freemason Connect Mobile