How do we recognize Freemasonry that has come through another culture?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by JamestheJust, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Yes!

2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

If we could use the "working tools" in a "moral sense" we could test whether that statement is true.

For those interested in researching the question, it may be useful to start with Freemasonry and the Ancient Gods

http://www.iapsop.com/ssoc/1921__ward___freemasonry_and_the_ancient_gods.pdf

Churchward is also good: The Origin and Evolution of Freemasonry: Connected with the Origin and Evolution of the Human Race

http://www.cedarcitylodge.org/books/origin_and_evolution.pdf

3. NY.Light.II

NY.Light.II Registered User

Could you elaborate on the last three examples you cite - Mithraic, Egyptian, and Sufi (probably better suited for a PM)?

Also, to really drive at the heart of the question: what if aliens landed in D.C. Tomorrow, and stepped out in Masonic aprons??

4. Warrior1256

Huh!!! Well.......

5. NY.Light.II

NY.Light.II Registered User

Brothers?

Or tentactly clandestine squidlords?

6. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Most likley they would be seen as clandestine but no matter what most likley would be considerd unrecognized.

7. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

"Clandestine" is a matter of perspective... perhaps they come seeking recognition, or they might consider us clandestine and are coming to shut us down.

Bro. Stewart P.M. likes this.
  8. JamestheJust

As we see, Freemasonry may claim to be universal, but in practice we prefer to restrict brotherhood to those that look like us, have similar ritual, and have already been vouched for.

9. JamestheJust

[​IMG]
    The right arm is not visible being still within the mummy wrappings

[​IMG]

In the Sufi tradition there are 99 known names of God and the 100th is secret (lost?). The letter Q has numerical value of 100, when rotated 90 degrees and the dots removed looks like a G.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  10. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

My GL has a text stating that you dont have to be a freemason to practice masonry.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  11. JamestheJust

So how do we recognize true brethren?

12. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

By a dues card or patent/gl cert from some GL that is in amenity with your GL.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256, Glen Cook and JJones like this.
  13. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

This.

Freemasonry has a foundation which is rooted in some very common sense ideas and universal truths. This doesn't mean that any other organization that practices these truths is practicing Freemasonry. Practicing masonic ideas and morality doesn't make you a Freemason unless you are also a member of a regular Grand Lodge.

I get the premise behind this thread, really, I do, but based on this mentality then learning how to build a good campfire would make me a Boyscout.

There are great men who are not members of our fraternity and they never will be Freemasons until they join a regular Grand Lodge.

14. Warrior1256

Yep!

Share My Freemasonry