My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does your lodge handle & schedule conferring of degrees?

Mosaic

Does your lodge confer degrees throughout the year with individual candidates, as they turn in their proficiency?

Or do you confer degrees with a "class" of candidates, with multiple candidates receiving degrees at the same time?

If you confer them individually, who is responsible for coaching them?

I'm looking for ways our small lodge can go through this process without causing a time burden on the brothers.

Thanks!

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Under GLoTX Law, each candidate receives his own degree. In the case of multiple candidates, after conferring each degree individually (on the same day or evening) the candidates can given the Lecture & Charge as a group if desired. As for instruction of candidates, we have a number of qualified instructors in our Lodge and we assign them to candidates on the basis of who (instructor & candidate) is available at the same time (over the lunch hour, during the evening, etc.)

rpbrown

Premium Member
We confer individually. There are times when we have two or more on the same day and if they are all the same degree, we will lgive them the lecture and charge together.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
We do not do "classes." Candidates get their degrees when they are ready. There have been times when we've opened the Lodge 3 times in one week to confer degrees. We will occasionally do a couple on one night, but I don't like it. It takes away from the candidate. First sections are always individual. We currently have a father and two sons going through. We did their EA and Fellow Crafts as a group. I told them doing their third all on one night wasn't a possibility.

As for assigning teachers, we have a good group of capable people. We just rotate it around.

crono782

Premium Member
First option. Individually as they are needed. Rarely do we do multiples in one day, giving the lecture together.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
We confer the degrees individually as petitions are read and balloted on, and as candidates turn in their proficiency. We meet the first Thursday of each month, so if a degree is coming up, it will usually be scheduled on a subsequent Thursday evening, based on everyone's schedule. Setting the calendar for the rest of the month is usually the last business item at each stated meeting.

As in Texas, in Arkansas, only one candidate at a time may be given the first section of the three degrees; as well as the second section of the Masters degree. "Classes' of candidates may be presented the second and third section of the EA, second section of the Fellowcraft, or third section of the Masters, but such "double header" degrees are exceedingly rare, and this is not a common practice.

Our lodge has a Director of Work, responsible also for overseeing the instruction of candidates. I am currently our only certified lecturer or instructor, but we have a couple of older brothers who let their cards lapse but still have a pretty good handle on the work, and we have three semi-formal sessions a week (Weds. and Thursday evenings, and Saturday mornings) set sup for instruction, as well as whatever might be privately scheduled during the week. A new candidate is usually linked up with a lecturer, and they agree upon a schedule for the Work.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
One person at a time. Alabama does not offer classes. Any MM who knows the work can teach the brother.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Texas - As described the classes have their first sections individual then their lecture section in parallel. The most I've seen is a triple first with one at the altar at a time.

Illinois - As many as 3 at the altar at a time, as many as 7 total candidates for a degree in the same day (clearly parts of that rule have very different writing dates). One of my Illinois lodges does a lot of 2-4 candidate first and second sections but chooses to only do individual thirds. Doing them all individually would consume more weeks than are available in a year in that lodge (and it's not the busiest lodge int he state even).

Illinois allows 2nd and 3rd in classes by arrangement with the GM. One year we sent several 3rds because the degree calendar was so full doing 1sts and 2nds. Some lodges send candidates because they have trouble pulling together a degree team.

Illinois in theory allows all the way in one day by arrangement with the GM but none have been done this way in over a decade.

Anyone who's been to Scottish Rite knows classes work, but not all that many brothers like them. The real question is do the candidates want them. Most don't. But enough do that it's worth continuing the practice where already in place. If the candidate wants it, our degrees are about our candidates not about us. I'm glad to see that most don't want it.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
I did my degrees with 2 more brethren together at the same time.
However there is a guideline I read before stated that maximum of the same time is 2.
Maybe a dispensation was obtained from the grand lodge.

CTSloan

I participated in an E.A. Degree with two candidates, a father and son. The father went through the first part then got to watch his son go through it. They went together on the second part. It was pretty special for all involved. Other than a situation like that I prefer one candidate at a time.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
We usually have two classes based on numbers.

We try to get one class through an initiation, passing and raising before the summer break and we start a new class after the break although the way our grand lodge and election calendar runs, november and december are pretty much shot. We might see an EA degree in September/October and then they will have to wait until the following year for their passing and raising.

Those coming in the end of a year might get staggered depending on numbers. More than 5 requires dispensation so 2013 EA's catching up to 2014 EA's might be passed together in 2014 as an example...

Levelhead

Premium Member
My lodge (Florida) gives you a mentor. And you schedule with him when you can meet, where, and what time. I was lucky to get a past master who is retired and knows every chetachism and every chair in his head! No book! When i made my EA i was assigned a brother who could only meet with me once a week for an hour a week (if that) and it was at lodge and some days he could not even do that. So i was directed to someone who had more time.

Me being self employed and work being slow took advantage of time sitting home and made it time studying. My mentor told me "im available every day from 5am to 8pm" i would go to his house 3 hours a day. And ill continue until i give back my MM.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
When I joined the lodge (Kentucky) I was assigned a mentor to teach me all that I needed to know. When I was ready to do my proficiency my mentor informed the lodge and I delivered it at the next meeting. The following meeting I went through my next degree.

Levelhead

Premium Member
When I joined the lodge (Kentucky) I was assigned a mentor to teach me all that I needed to know. When I was ready to do my proficiency my mentor informed the lodge and I delivered it at the next meeting. The following meeting I went through my next degree.
Thats bout how it is in fl.

Sent From Bro Carl's Freemasonry Pro App