My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How serious do you take your obligations?

Do you think it's okay as MMs to post the secrets of Masonry online?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JJones

In theory I'm supposed to be able to trust my Brethren with something as important as my life. Sadly I can't trust some of them with something as simple as a handshake.

This is true in many lodges. I personally believe this is partially due to the fact that we do not guard the west guard diligently enough.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
You hit the nail on the head there Bro. Jones.
We sometimes get pigeon holed in the fraternity. One of mine is our disciplinary process. I was informed third hand this last week of a member who had suffered a criminal conviction. I checked. This was correct, but he actually had three convictions, and a felony, and jail time, all in about the last year. I then had to take official action because the local body hadn't bothered, even though they were aware of rumours of such.

Sometimes we leave the west gate bangin' open in the wind. Folks may need to be helped back out through it.

CLewey44

We sometimes get pigeon holed in the fraternity. One of mine is our disciplinary process. I was informed third hand this last week of a member who had suffered a criminal conviction. I checked. This was correct, but he actually had three convictions, and a felony, and jail time, all in about the last year. I then had to take official action because the local body hadn't bothered, even though they were aware of rumours of such.

Sometimes we leave the west gate bangin' open in the wind. Folks may need to be helped back out through it.

Lolol, true.

JJones

Bro Cook, what actions can a lodge take in that situation in your jurisdiction?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Bro Cook, what actions can a lodge take in that situation in your jurisdiction?
Referring to Utah, felonies aren't an automatic expulsion as in some jurisdictions. The GM can take suspension action until such time as a Masonic trial is held. Utah places requirements on certain lodge officers to take some action on the matter when such an issue comes to their knowledge.

fmasonlog

As EAs, we learn a lot of things, but one of the more important things we swear an obligation to is not to reveal any of the secrets Masonry from this degree or any degree we may hereafter receive. One of those things is the obligation to (summarize) not write the secrets of Masonry in any way that would allow non-Masons to learn the secrets of Masonry.

I realize all of the secrets are already out there, but I'm a little confused as to why an actual, presumably active, Master Mason would post all over the internet these secrets and then seemingly think it's ok to do so. If everyone had the idea that putting it on the internet is not 'writing' it or communicating it in some form or fashion, then we'd really have nothing as a fraternity to hold on to that is unique to us.

I'm a recent fellowcraft and am very disappointed. What I've worked so hard for has been thrown out. I know of the website and it should be taken down.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Ahh, yes. Been up for over a decade.

No, I don't approve of the posting. I don't approve of the clandestine Masons behind it. I don't approve of citing to an anti group. I don't like green eggs and ham.

Exposes have been around for, oh, about 300 years. I'm less sanguine about them.

fmasonlog

Ahh, yes. Been up for over a decade.

No, I don't approve of the posting. I don't approve of the clandestine Masons behind it. I don't approve of citing to an anti group. I don't like green eggs and ham.

Exposes have been around for, oh, about 300 years. I'm less sanguine about them.

Why do we not take it down... I haven't got the power or I would.

David Duke

Premium Member
Why do we not take it down... I haven't got the power or I would.

Simply put freedom of speech, who ever is posting it that is their right, I don't have to like it.

Once again I say it is irrelevant what someone else does, it is what I do that enables me to polish my ashlar.

David Duke
Secretary
Sam B Crawford #1418
New Caney, TX

Kenneth NC Mason

I took an obligation I wouldn't discuss the lectures, floor work , or anything related to our Ritual in our GL. The modes of recognizing a brother aren't really secret as much as they are " sacred " . What I mean is by those means of identification we assume a brother will be truthful , not lie , and have our back. It's a sacred trust we are charged to uphold ..

What makes it tricky is that the York Rite Chapter Ritual for my state is in PDF format and is in plain English , which means anyone could easily access it . Not the case with ciphers ..

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I took an obligation I wouldn't discuss the lectures, floor work , or anything related to our Ritual in our GL. The modes of recognizing a brother aren't really secret as much as they are " sacred " . What I mean is by those means of identification we assume a brother will be truthful , not lie , and have our back. It's a sacred trust we are charged to uphold ..

What makes it tricky is that the York Rite Chapter Ritual for my state is in PDF format and is in plain English , which means anyone could easily access it . Not the case with ciphers ..

One of the Provincial Grand Chapters in England has the ritual on their website, omitting some words.