My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How serious do you take your obligations?

Do you think it's okay as MMs to post the secrets of Masonry online?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bloke

Premium Member
I used to get upset about ritual being posted, but the reality is, you can read it ad nauseum but it's gotta be experienced... Now days, I love finding ritual on line from reliable sources for comparative study.... but it still needs to be experienced to understand it.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I used to get upset about ritual being posted, but the reality is, you can read it ad nauseum but it's gotta be experienced...

To me the experiential parts are other than the ritual itself. The teamwork of practicing the ritual happens independent of the content of the ritual. The direct personal contact happens independent of the content of the ritual. The fellowship with eminent men of all walks of life happens independent of the ritual.

It's sort of like a box from Amazon. The cardboard box is the ritual. It's the part the outsiders see. Then there are the knurdles or plastic bubbles or other cushioning that are the teamwork at practice that the person who opens the box sees. Then there is the gift in its own layers of packing. And finally at the center is the unseen gift that is the secret.

Do others use the word knurdles for the plastic peanuts? I've use the word for so long I've forgotten where I learned it.

CLewey44

To me the experiential parts are other than the ritual itself. The teamwork of practicing the ritual happens independent of the content of the ritual. The direct personal contact happens independent of the content of the ritual. The fellowship with eminent men of all walks of life happens independent of the ritual.

It's sort of like a box from Amazon. The cardboard box is the ritual. It's the part the outsiders see. Then there are the knurdles or plastic bubbles or other cushioning that are the teamwork at practice that the person who opens the box sees. Then there is the gift in its own layers of packing. And finally at the center is the unseen gift that is the secret.

Do others use the word knurdles for the plastic peanuts? I've use the word for so long I've forgotten where I learned it.

Lol, love the analogy. Funny how the oddest things can strike such a great comparison. I'm assuming you've been getting plenty of Amazon boxes lately.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Maybe then our obligations are a little hazy and need to specify what exactly we will forever conceal and never reveal.
It does.

That I have, am about to R and hereinafter blah.

The "Have" is the step and how your hand(s) were placed upon the bible depending on the degree you're on as you're being instructed before taking the oath or obligation for that particular degree.

The blah is "since you have not been instructed yet, the SW will answer for you."

This is where you are instructed on the word(s) and grip(s)...again, degree dependent.

The rest is jurisdictional by constitution as to what is secret.

Last edited:

CLewey44

It does.

The "Have" is the step and how your hand(s) were placed upon the bible depending on the degree you're on as you're being instructed before taking the oath or obligation for that particular degree.

The blah is "since you have not been instructed yet, the SW will answer for you."

This is where you are instructed on the word(s) and grip(s)...again, degree dependent.

I totally agree but some people are questioning 'what is a secret in Masonry' etc. I know it's sort of jurisdictional as you stated but I think there are pretty much some that are the same across the board. Definitely mds o rcg, dgd, and so fourth. As for not worrying about what others do, I would question that by doing nothing, are we allowing those secrets to be revealed maybe? Sure, we as individuals maybe aren't but putting up zero resistance(at least when within our power to prevent) is only a step or two off from doing it ourselves really. Idk, just a thought.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It does.

Actually, most of that is jurisdictional

the_widows_son

Site Benefactor
Very good thread brother. Not to get off topic, but there has been something on my mind. Any other brothers tired of seeing masons act like its a college fraternity ?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app
That is a very good point brother. Somewhere along the line things got blurred. Because did not most if not all the BGL organizations come from or were created by Brothers? I'm not in any BGLs if there is any brother on here that is in a BGL (Black Greek Letter) could they please elaborate. I was at a Black and White Ball last year and a brother who was a principle officer got on the dance floor and started "stomping the yard " while in his black and whites. Mind you the Grand Lodge officers were present. When I talked to him off line about his Frat, he was very proud of it and should be Im sure it took alot of fortitude and preserverance to be made one. However he didnt like the fact when I reminded him that it was the very oraganization that you are representing yourself as a principle officer that birthed your Frat. Do you brother know of any brothers that hold their fraternity in equal stature? If they do thats their prerogative I just feel that we chose the more noble and glorious path and we shouldnt be wearing or displaying jr. Frat stuff at a Masonic gathering. IMHO

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
That is a very good point brother. Somewhere along the line things got blurred. Because did not most if not all the BGL organizations come from or were created by Brothers? I'm not in any BGLs if there is any brother on here that is in a BGL (Black Greek Letter) could they please elaborate. I was at a Black and White Ball last year and a brother who was a principle officer got on the dance floor and started "stomping the yard " while in his black and whites. Mind you the Grand Lodge officers were present. When I talked to him off line about his Frat, he was very proud of it and should be Im sure it took alot of fortitude and preserverance to be made one. However he didnt like the fact when I reminded him that it was the very oraganization that you are representing yourself as a principle officer that birthed your Frat. Do you brother know of any brothers that hold their fraternity in equal stature? If they do thats their prerogative I just feel that we chose the more noble and glorious path and we shouldnt be wearing or displaying jr. Frat stuff at a Masonic gathering. IMHO

I understand what you are saying. Brothers ordering paddles, letter jackets, embroidering SPR of when ever they were raised on the jacket etc. Instead of saying initiated they say "pledged." dont even get me started on that. But yet, many wonder why PHA GLS are looked down upon. In no way am I speaking on any one particular lodge. Just stating what I have observed with some of the brethern.

Last edited:

Bloke

Premium Member
I understand what you are saying. Brothers ordering paddles, letter jackets, putting on the jacket when they "pledged" dont even get me started on that. Its crazy brother.

We don't have college fraternities so their culture does not creeep into our lodges. The sort of semi-hazing and jokester behaviour is rare in our lodges and generally not well received...

the_widows_son

Site Benefactor
I understand what you are saying. Brothers ordering paddles, letter jackets, embroidering SPR of when ever they were raised on the jacket etc. Instead of saying initiated they say "pledged." dont even get me started on that. But yet, many wonder why PHA GLS are looked down upon. In no way am I speaking on any one particular lodge. Just stating what I have observed with some of the brethern.
Exactly Bro, most GLs write the edicts, but you still have some rogue lodges that still wanna do those type of things such as consuming wages and what not. Fortunately I was made in a lodge that didnt play that stuff. But Im wondering where does it come from you have a lot of brothers who were BGL first then became Masons do you think that might be where some of these practices originate?

Canadian Paul

Isn't the whole point of the 'secrets' the fact that we have, as a test of our fidelity, obligated ourselves not to disclose them? In other words, it is not the secrets themselves that are important, but whether we can keep our sworn word.

acjohnson53

12410519_645007608970464_4680230933563737963_n.jpg