My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hutchinsonian Theory

rebis

Premium Member
What do you think about Bro. William Hutchinson theory?

Completely without base or something to ponder about?

My Freemasonry

rebis

Premium Member
To play the devil's advocate :)

His research certainly is ample and convincing when read.

Which points do you disagree with and why?

In the spirit of having an informed intellectual discussion, it would be good to read his work on the subject before replying.

My Freemasonry

FlBrother324

What do you think about Bro. William Hutchinson theory?

Completely without base or something to ponder about?

My Freemasonry

I wondered where people got the idea that Adam was the first Mason.?...
Interesting theory, but if it were true, our degree work is just a bit flawed!??!

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Very interesting stuff though.

I will keep an open mind, but will continue down the path of Light I was taught to follow.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Interesting theory, but if it were true, our degree work is just a bit flawed!??!
That's an EASY one. Romantic English Freemasons brought up on the King James Bible, when reading Genesis 3:7 saw:

7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Which to them meant that Adam was the first Mason because he clothed himself in an Apron!

Most peculiar Masonic theories have similarly flimsy origins which have been magnified over the last 300 years

rebis

Premium Member

From what I gather he based this on the fact that all truth is derived from nature and that God supposedly communicated these truths to Adam which he maintained even after he got ousted from the garden of Eden...as time passed he transmitted these truths to his descendants and them to theirs and so on...

In order to keep these mysteries from being perverted by the masses they have been disclosed only to the initiated.

A possible hint of this might be the bible references to the order of Melchizedek of which even Jesus was a high priest .

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

brother josh

order of Melchizedek of which even Jesus was a high priest

Can u explain in further depth I do find this very interesting

Bro Darren

Premium Member
order of Melchizedek of which even Jesus was a high priest

Can u explain in further depth I do find this very interesting

I too would love to read about this one too. I have never heard the theory that Jesus was a member of the order and would love more details. I see a few references to say that he was likened too, but not a member of.

But Melchizedek was a man, not an order? Now im confused!

Last edited:

rebis

Premium Member
But Melchizedek was a man, not an order? Now im confused!

Hebrews 5:10
"10and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek."

My research in this topic is ongoing, I therefore am not qualified at this time to say much about it. The bible references it in several places in both the old and New Testament.

We know that Abraham was ordained and blessed by Melchizedek and then started giving him 10% of his wealth each year.

Then over 4000 years later Jesus Christ was made high priest after this order.

What is this order that ordains these chieftains of the bible?

rebis

Premium Member
Heb 6:20
"even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."

rebis

Premium Member
Heb7:17
Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

rebis

Premium Member
Would love to catch up with theologian to go over it all as its sounds more complex :)

That would be nice...

For what it's worth, I made an appointment with a Greek Orthodox priest next week to discuss it. Should be interesting.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
That's an EASY one. Romantic English Freemasons brought up on the King James Bible, when reading Genesis 3:7 saw:

7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Which to them meant that Adam was the first Mason because he clothed himself in an Apron!

Most peculiar Masonic theories have similarly flimsy origins which have been magnified over the last 300 years

You have left out Eve in your claim. The use of "Themselves" indicates she was apron-ed too.

jwhoff

Premium Member
With Brother Co41 on this one.

My first readings of Hutchinson did not leave a warm fuzzy true "light at the end of this tunnel" feeling. Nor can Hutchinson be given a wild card for writing in the early days of the eighteenth century. Remember, he more than we, was closer to the time of The Enlightenment.

But I'm curious as to what Brother Rebis is able to relay from his conversations with the clergy mentioned above. I, too, have spent many evenings in a clergy's library discussing spiritual and philosophical topics. Those who truly seek light wear many robes. That, in and of itself, should encourage us all!

Brethren, I say we encourage this investigation

Air this thing out. Discuss it, and come to our own conclusions.

Interesting thread.

bezobrazan

I'm definitely keeping an ear on this topic and look forward to hearing more.

A true man learns to soften his heart and stiffen his spine.