My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I finally petitioned, have some questions though.

alterian

I petitioned a lodge in GA, my Petition won’t be read until next Monday. I really wish there was material I could study although everyone on here says not to (Exam material). I know it’s going to be difficult with my job, but I’ve been wanting to join for a while now so I’m sure I’ll make it work.

Here's some questions that I currently have and forgot ask. I keep hearing it’s a lot of material to learn/memorize and I’m really on a tight schedule is there anything I can do to retain information quickly, any tips.

I’ve recently moved here from Texas, and my apartment isn’t what I’d like it to be right now. I still have some of my stuff in storage in Texas. My apartment doesn’t look like a home yet. Is that going to be something the IC will hold against me? Perhaps indicating financial issues (of which I have none)

I’m sure every lodge is different, I’m just trying to see if there’s a norm. Are the degrees given once a month, at stated meetings, or whenever the candidate is ready for the next? When you take the exams and pass it, is the next degree given that night or scheduled?

Is there anything I should know or can know about the ceremony.

Forgive my asking, I’m still new to all this and want to learn as much as I can. I’m know I’ll have some more question in the future, it’s nice to know I can get answers on here. Thanks in advance

Bloke

Premium Member
Go with the flow is good advice... and I am sure your home would not be an issue... mine is in complete disarray atm LOL !

Best advice; relax, listen and learn..

alterian

No my place isn't dirty or anything, my OCD wouldn't allow it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I'll keep this updated. Thanks guys

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Do not go looking for information about the degrees. The only person you ultimately short change is yourself because you won't get to experience it new.

Almost all of the other questions you asked can best be answered by a member of the lodge you petitioned. Most of those things vary not only from state to state but from lodge to lodge. I will caution you, however, that if you are so new to an area that you haven't even unpacked, you might not be eligible to petition a lodge. We won't even accept a petition from someone who hasn't lived here for less than a year. That requirement might not be universal, though.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There is nothing to study before your Initiation. That us the point; it's the beginning. You will have things to learn later.
Just wait, that is all you need to do.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I’ve recently moved here from Texas, and my apartment isn’t what I’d like it to be right now. I still have some of my stuff in storage in Texas. My apartment doesn’t look like a home yet. Is that going to be something the IC will hold against me? Perhaps indicating financial issues (of which I have none)

Technically it's only to confirm you have a home. The place should be somewhat presentable, but bachelor presentable is just fine. There is more to it than that, but the other parts take extremes to have any effect - We require our candidates to be of sound mind. Your place will show if you're a hoarder. We require our candidates to be good citizens. Your place will show if you're rabble rouser without a cause.

Are the degrees given once a month, at stated meetings, or whenever the candidate is ready for the next? When you take the exams and pass it, is the next degree given that night or scheduled?

Most lodges have a business meeting on a specific week of the month. It does happen to have a degree that night but it's rare. Nearly always the degree with scheduled that day of the week in a different week of the month. The degree could be scheduled as soon as the week after you are balloted on (not the same month as your petition is read) or a couple of months down the line.

Once you are ready to present your proficiency the timing for your next two degrees will have a similar pattern as how your first degree was scheduled. Some brothers present their proficiency at a business meeting then have the degree scheduled. A bit more common is to schedule the proficiency on the same night as the next degree and do them proficiency then degree.

Is there anything I should know or can know about the ceremony.

You CAN know all you like, but take a step back and think about the implications.

Our degrees are mutual adoption ceremonies. We adopt you. You adopt us. We put our trust in our friend when we presented ourselves for our degrees, just as our friend had done before us. Is there a real reason you are not willing to put your trust in your friend to take good care of you, knowing that every man in every lodge has been through the same? We all get being nervous. We all also get the expressions "man up" and "step out in faith". If you are truly incapable of putting your trust in us, as we are about to put our trust in you, think over the fact that you are about to enter into an adoption ceremony. If you consider us unworthy of trust, why come among us?

The first degree is called our "initiation". It's supposed to have an emotional impact. Do you know anyone who were when they were a kid searched for their Christmas presents and spoiled the surprise for that year? You should not want to spoil the surprise.

More subtly I know of a guy who searched for and found a script that claimed to be the degree. He memorized the entire thing. And was then frustrated because there were tons of little details that jarred. Different wording for the same meaning. Slightly more or less formal. Slightly more or less archaic. Different vocabulary for the same meaning. A sentence added here or a sentence removed there. He found the degree disturbing because what he was experiencing was picky little details that did not match his expectations. He had ruined the experience for himself. And then when presented with his proficiency to memorized he was further frustrated because it was not an exact match to what he had already done.

I have direct experience in relearning being more difficult - I went into my degrees cold because I knew the initiation aspects, but after I learned the entire California ritual I moved out of California. I relearned the entire Illinois ritual as differences. But at that point I had years invested into Masonry. Now I'm almost 20 years in and I'm learning the entire Texas ritual as differences. Learning as differences years later has the same mechanics but very different attitude.

Do you want to go in with an approach of faith and trust, or not? That's the simple question to ask yourself. You can learn what will happen, go in with distrust, spoil the surprise, and maybe no one will ever know but yourself. There is never a second change to make a good first impression - ON YOURSELF TO YOURSELF.

Forgive my asking, I’m still new to all this and want to learn as much as I can.

Read all you can find about Masonic history, philosophy, biographies, charities, social activities.

I’m know I’ll have some more question in the future, it’s nice to know I can get answers on here.

Ask away!

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
More subtly I know of a guy who searched for and found a script that claimed to be the degree. He memorized the entire thing. And was then frustrated because there were tons of little details that jarred. Different wording for the same meaning. Slightly more or less formal. Slightly more or less archaic. Different vocabulary for the same meaning. A sentence added here or a sentence removed there. He found the degree disturbing because what he was experiencing was picky little details that did not match his expectations. He had ruined the experience for himself. And then when presented with his proficiency to memorized he was further frustrated because it was not an exact match to what he had already done.
While doing research before I joined I came across a site on the web that claimed to have the EA proficiency. I left it immediately because I did not want to spoil the ritual for myself. After I was initiated and learned the EA proficiency I went back to the site for comparison. It was the same as described above. It was basically correct but in many ways was different from what I was taught.

Randy81

Premium Member
Alterian, I believe you told me you just completed drill sergeant school. It's been ten years since I went through ds school, however, I'm pretty certain you still have to pitch all the modules, correct? If you can learn all the modules, you will have no issues with the degree work.

alterian

Alterian, I believe you told me you just completed drill sergeant school. It's been ten years since I went through ds school, however, I'm pretty certain you still have to pitch all the modules, correct? If you can learn all the modules, you will have no issues with the degree work.

I did graduate a couple months ago, hated form and align BTW. I hope it won't be a problem remembering everything. I have an Appointment with the IC in a couple of days, hope that goes well and I'll be GTG.

I'll keep up dating this. Thanks for the input

alterian

I dont know yet, they want to wait until the end of February or march just in case there's someone else who petitions. I don't mind waiting, I would like to go through everything with some else to. Febuary would be good.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I dont know yet, they want to wait until the end of February or march just in case there's someone else who petitions. I don't mind waiting, I would like to go through everything with some else to. Febuary would be good.
Keep us posted.

alterian

I definitely will was looking up to the moment why I can tell everybody when my petition got approved I'll keep updating this or create another post so everyone can follow again thanks

Randy81

Premium Member
I did my EA alone but my FC with another brother.