My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I finally petitioned, have some questions though.

alterian

I don't know about that I know the preemptive to all the modules is the same hope in this the same case with the degree work

Derinique Kendrick

Just an update, I'm set to go late in march. I cant wait, the only thing on my mind is assuring myself that I have the appropriate amount of time to study the material. We just picked up a cycle, so we've been busy lately. Around the time im getting initiated we'll be in white phase so I "should" be getting off around 1800. I wont be doing it alone either, so I know that atleast they'll be another person going through it with me, perhaps more. Just playing the waiting game now.
Congratulations. Like the other brother stated, you should be fine. Listen to what is being said and pay attention to what is heppening and you should have no problems. You'll be fine. Best of wishes.

alterian

I appreciate it, I'll continue to post updates.

One question I do have is what was worn for the EA dgree. Specifically pants.

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I appreciate it, I'll continue to post updates.

One question I do have is what was worn for the EA dgree. Specifically pants.
I'm assuming you are a drill sergeant. when I went through basic quite a few of my drill sergeants were free masons. I wasn't one at the time though I will say, I saw it help some guys out that were though. Nothing immoral or anything like that. Just brothers helping brothers. You will have plenty of time to study. When the privates go to bed or when you get a day off study !!

alterian

I've started to study, I've been reading up on the Lodge and GL history. None of the other drills I work with are FM, so I'll be the first. I have however had interactions with FM in other units and civilians though. One told me once I'm a EA to come see him and hell help out. He's not from the lodge I petition, but his lodge does fall into the District. I'm not 100 sure if I should be having interactions with others until I go through the MM Degree, that's what I've read on here. That's probably the main reason why I refrain from posting on here. So I stopped talking to others about the Craft until I actually go through everything.

dfreybur

Premium Member
One told me once I'm a EA to come see him and hell help out. He's not from the lodge I petition, but his lodge does fall into the District.

Your lodge is supposed to assign you a mentor/trainer. The Brother assigned is not automatically a member of your lodge, though it's rare to be assigned to a member of another lodge unless your jurisdiction has a high amount of traditional teamwork. Mention him at lodge and see.

alterian

No he wasn't or isn't assigned or anything. I was just talking to him. That was a while ago, since then I've decided to lay low until I go through everything.

Derinique Kendrick

No he wasn't or isn't assigned or anything. I was just talking to him. That was a while ago, since then I've decided to lay low until I go through everything.
If he reached out to help, I wouldn't see a problem with having another helping hand even if you do already have a mentor. I think it would be good to have help outside of your lodge as well.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
If he reached out to help, I wouldn't see a problem with having another helping hand even if you do already have a mentor. I think it would be good to have help outside of your lodge as well.
I agree but I thing that it would be a matter of curtsy to inform the mentor of his home lodge that I had outside help.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Most definitely. When I was going through my degrees, I often called my uncles who are freemasons for help when I couldn't meet with my mentor, or just had more questions.
It's really great that you had relatives that are MMs to give you help. As far as I know I am the first Freemason in my immediate family for at least two generations.

Derinique Kendrick

It's really great that you had relatives that are MMs to give you help. As far as I know I am the first Freemason in my immediate family for at least two generations.
I also find it to be a blessing because I looked up to those relatives as a young boy and once I was old enough to know what Freemasonry was I made it a goal to become their brother as if they are a part of this amazing organization and have such a positive influence on my life, then this is what I would want for the generations to come. Now I have a son, who I hope, in about 21 years, will continue the legacy if he chooses so, but I will definitely et the example for him.

The Traveling Man

I petitioned a lodge in GA, my Petition won’t be read until next Monday. I really wish there was material I could study although everyone on here says not to (Exam material). I know it’s going to be difficult with my job, but I’ve been wanting to join for a while now so I’m sure I’ll make it work.

Here's some questions that I currently have and forgot ask. I keep hearing it’s a lot of material to learn/memorize and I’m really on a tight schedule is there anything I can do to retain information quickly, any tips.

I’ve recently moved here from Texas, and my apartment isn’t what I’d like it to be right now. I still have some of my stuff in storage in Texas. My apartment doesn’t look like a home yet. Is that going to be something the IC will hold against me? Perhaps indicating financial issues (of which I have none)

I’m sure every lodge is different, I’m just trying to see if there’s a norm. Are the degrees given once a month, at stated meetings, or whenever the candidate is ready for the next? When you take the exams and pass it, is the next degree given that night or scheduled?

Is there anything I should know or can know about the ceremony.

Forgive my asking, I’m still new to all this and want to learn as much as I can. I’m know I’ll have some more question in the future, it’s nice to know I can get answers on here. Thanks in advance

It is natural to have a million questions running through your head. Wait with patience and all will be revealed. You will most likely be assigned a Investigation Committee who will come visit you. The purpose of the Committee isn't just for them to ask you questions, it is also for you to ask all of your questions too. As the answers to most of your questions depend on Jurisdiction (and can even vary from Lodge to Lodge in the same Jurisdiction) it's best to save those questions for them. I'm not sure if you made contact with a Lodge or the Grand Lodge first but most (if not all) Grand Lodges have a brochure they can mail out that gives some history on Freemasonry, who we are and what we do. That is the only reading material you need at this point. The best advice I can possibly give at this stage is just to be Patient. You will understand the importance of that later.
Keep us informed of your progress.