My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.o.o.f

MarkR

Premium Member
I've heard of them, there used to be a Lodge here in town but it's long gone. I really have no opinion since I know so little about them.

dfreybur

Premium Member
When I decided to join an order I spent several days writing names onto a list. Any order whose name I didn't write down I didn't investigate. I'd heard of the Odd Fellows in the past but didn't think of them during those several days so I didn't consider them.

I've met several Odd Fellows over the years. Great folks. Their order has always been similar to Masonry (no shared roots) but smaller than Masonry. When fraternities in general declined in popularity they were hurt much worse by the trend than we were.

Squared_Away

When I decided to join an order I spent several days writing names onto a list. Any order whose name I didn't write down I didn't investigate. I'd heard of the Odd Fellows in the past but didn't think of them during those several days so I didn't consider.

What orders did you look into if you don't mind me asking?

~Open Minded~

dfreybur

Premium Member
What orders did you look into if you don't mind me asking?

Trying to remember from 20 years ago with as much accuracy as I can dredge up ... I decided it was time to have some civic activity and since I didn't want to become politically active that meant a fraternity or service club. I carried a sheet and wrote names as I thought of them for several days. I set a deadline at which point I stopped writing names and started trimming the list. When my list was reduced to one I was going to figure out how to join.

Freemasons, AMORC, Rosicrucian Fellowship
Elks, Moose, Eagles
American Legion, VFW, Amvets
Rotary, Kiwanas, Lions
probably a couple more.

During my time window I did not remember or think of at least KofC, IOOF, Awana, Optimists, Forresters. I have since encountered fraternities I had not heard of back then, like Sons of Herman and Sons of Norway.

Plus I deliberately left out groups associated with political parties and political action committees.

Tann3100

At one time odd fellows out numbered masons. And odd fellow is the largest fraternal society under one accord that is. My father was a mason may he travel on the other side. I joined odd fellows and will eventually join masonry too bu both are great organizations . Odd fellows fund visual research project at the Wilmer eye institute etc etc.

crono782

Premium Member
I don't see why not. I'm sure it has been done hundreds of times over the years. As long as any other fraternal order doesn't require you to dish up any of the secrets of freemasonry, I dunno why it would be a prob.

Tann3100

Just wondering, can a mason join international order of odd fellows?

Yes you can join both we have members of both organizations in my lodge. We have a couple of members in my state that belong to the odd fellows that are 33rd's. Also Albert pike was a odd fellow before he was a mason. Don't worry about either organization try to get secrets of the other one.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Just wondering, can a mason join international order of odd fellows?

If there were some fraternal order that insisted a member hold exclusive membership you can bet few of us would be willing to deal with them. They would definitely never earn such high repute as the odd Fellows.

You name the fraternity or service club, there's no conflict with any other fraternity or service club. if you were to ask around at lodge you'd find brothers who are members of several other orders.

Tann3100

I have. Are you an Odd Fellow?

Freemason Connect Mobile

That I am brother was found on the road from JtoJ passed by a couple then taken to the inn where the host cared for me. I entered the wilderness lawfully through which I came traveling by night as well as by day brother.

in FLT

Squared_Away

That I am brother was found on the road from JtoJ passed by a couple then taken to the inn where the host cared for me. I entered the wilderness lawfully through which I came traveling by night as well as by day brother.

in FLT

I contacted my local lodge (Louisiana). Still waiting on some information from them.

~Open Minded~