My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to be a Freemason

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I cheated. The Commission just made findings on the Lebanon matter.

Yes, there are irregular groups as well.

The Grand Lodge of Lebanon

There has come before your Commission a request that a finding be made that this Grand Lodge meets the Standards of Recognition adopted by this Conference. A presentation was made to the Commission by the Grand Lodge of Lebanon. Presentations were also made by the Grand Lodge of Scotland, the Grand Lodge of New York, the Grand Lodge of Washington D.C. and the Grande Loge Nationale Francaise, all of whom stood in opposition to a finding that the Grand Lodge of Lebanon met those Standards.

We decline to make findings at this time. An explanation is in order.

The Grand Lodge of New York constituted the new Grand Lodge of Lebanon from at least three regular lodges in 2018. No grand lodge had been constituted in and for that nation before that time.

At the time this new Grand Lodge was formed by the Grand Lodge of New York, there were lodges working in Lebanon under the Grand Lodges of Scotland, New York, and Washington, D.C. It appears the Grande Loge National Francaise allowed a lodge to work there after the formation of the Grand Lodge of Lebanon.

It has been pointed out to the Commission that there was no consultation with the other Grand Lodges working in Lebanonbefore the Grand Lodge of Lebanon was formed. We agree that the well established custom and practice in Europe is to consult with other grand lodges working in a jurisdiction. This is the fraternal course that would be expected. Indeed, the failure to do so in this case has led to discontent between brother masonsand actions that are inappropriate amongst masons. It is most disappointing that the consultation failed to occur. However, that need for consultation, while a custom, and even a well recommended custom, is not a requirement for forming a grand lodge.

More particularly, it has been argued that because lodges of other jurisdictions continue to work in the country, a grand lodge cannot be formed without a treaty between the various chartering grand lodges, as there would be a lack of exclusive territorial jurisdiction.

As a source to resolve the dispute, we would draw your attention to Grand Lodge Recognition, The Commission on Information for Recognition (Macoy, 1956). The inestimable Roscoe Pound, a Deputy Grand Master of Massachusetts and a legal scholar still studied by U.S. law students, cited with approval Dr. Mackey’s statement:

t is competent for any Grand Lodge to grant a warrant of constitution and establish a Lodge in such unoccupied territory….And this right of granting warrants inures to every Grand Lodge in the World and may be exercised by as many as choose to do so, as long as no Grand Lodge is organized in the territory. 19-20, citations omitted.

There is no other grand lodge organized in Lebanon. The doctrine often expressed as exclusive territorial jurisdiction has been fulfilled: there is only one grand lodge formed for this jurisdiction. Those who have a policy of only recognizing one grand lodge in a jurisdiction have not seen a departure from that policy.

Grand Lodges for whom we hold the greatest respect are in sharp disagreement regarding the activities and other conduct that have occurred in Lebanon. We are informed that action is being taken to remedy some of the mis-steps that have occurred. We urge that for the sake of Freemasonry Universal that the regular grand lodges in Lebanon and the Grand Lodge of Lebanon consult, allowing Freemasonry to flourish in that country.

Winter

Premium Member
Good read. Thanks for the info Brother. Now to see what happens next.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Good read. Thanks for the info Brother. Now to see what happens next.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
GL of Ecuador had previously granted recognition to Lebanon. The have now withdrawn recognition, cit the failure to consult.

Winter

Premium Member
I want join please
First, please stop posting the same thing in multiple unrelated discussions on the forum. And nobody is going to call you, so you should probably bot put your whatsap number everywhere. You will get a much better reception if you create a new thread to introduce yourself and ask any questions there. We are happy to help with information where we can. But nobody here can help you join. You must contact Masons local to you to begin the journey. If you are in Nairobi, as your profile suggests, I belive you would contact the District Grand Lodge of East Africa. Here is their page that will have a way to reach out to them.
dgleastafrica.com
Good luck