My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im a Master Mason.. now what is my next Step into York Rite.

Flatworlder

Thank you trysquare,
Im sure I could have asked one of the fellow brothers in my lodge but figured why not ask in here as well.

Again thank you.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Whether you know it or not, you are already a York Rite Mason. The Blue Lodge, Chapter, and Council are all linked. As note, find your local YR bodies and petition. Enjoy expanding your knowledge and understanding of the legend.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Not sure of the rules of your jurisdiction but, in FL you must wait 6 months as a MM in good standing or give back your MM chetichism first before you can petition.

Good luck and enjoy the journey brother!

Sent From Bro Carl's Freemasonry Pro App

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I understand that after reaching Knight Templar degree that the cost of clothing and other equipment can run into thousands of dollars. As both my wife and I are retired I can not afford this. However, one of my brothers at lodge said that you did not have to buy these things unless you wanted to serve as an officer. Is this true?

Companion Joe

Premium Member
That is true, you do not have to buy the uniform unless you are going to be an officer. It can be extremely expensive, and it can be done fairly cheap.
The big expenses are the chapeau ($300 new) and sword belt ($150-60 new). You can buy a brand new uniform for about $130, and Chinese made swords can be had for $35-40.

The uniform can be put together much cheaper than that. I have an inexpensive sword; an older chapeau I bought off ebay; a sword belt and uniform jacket that were given to me by the Commandery (most have items that were donated by the families of deceased sir knights); and a pair of black pants that I bought at Belk.

I'll be commander in a few years and will likely buy all new stuff of my own then pass my hand-me-downs to someone else. If you are interested enough to want to join and be part of the action, I'll just about guarantee your Commandery will work with you to get you outfitted.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I got a used sword on eBay for no other reason than the monogram on the hilt matched my initials. I think it cost me $30.
Many commanderies have used uniform items, but that, in my opinion, adds to the "civil war zombie" look of most groups.