My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In need of light and assistance.

BroCaution

Not sure if this is the correct channel to even ask this but I am in need of assistance. Long story short, I am not very knowledgeable of Masonry, and the only mason I know personally is my brother. I have been interested for about 8 years now, I am 26 years old. This past month I have petitioned to join my brother's lodge and was entered.

After the initiation, I was very excited to dive into the knowledge that was presented to me, and started researching even heavier than before. I purposely left parts of it to surprise, because I wanted to leave the "mystique" to it. With doing my diligent research I was devastated to learn the existence of clandestine organizations purporting to be true masons. I am African-American and was unaware of the various groups midleading people, since I had no prior connection to this network. It was not explained to me that I was not becoming a Free and Accepted Mason, but an International Mason. After grasping a slight understanding of recognition and history I asked the brothers of my lodge about their affliation with this body and why it wasn't explained to me and nobody gave me a real answer. I also inquired about the history and who allowed International to be created, and why I couldn't seem to find any history past 1950 about the order, also with no explanation from my lodge.

In conclusion, what am I to do? I have just been initiated and paid fees so I don't even have a dues card yet. How do I respectfully bow out of this lodge ? Also how can I get in touch with official brother who will be able to lead me in there right path? Even though I have only taken the first degree, I am very serious about the craft and being a part of a clandestine organization is not something I can be a part of. Please help if you can.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CLewey44

Wow, I'm sorry it went down like that. I would look on this site and see if you can find a lodge near you.

http://go.masonicconnections.com/Site/GrandLodgeIllinois/Information/LodgeLocator.aspx

From the looks, obviously a lot of lodges around. I would be willing to bet you'd have to go through the initiation again and whatever additional things IL requires. However, it's a minor hiccup and as far as being a member at the 'clandestine' lodge still, I would just explain that to whichever secretary you email or speak with from the GL of IL site. I'm sure it'd be understood and they may ask that you demit your prior membership before being allowed to join. Being out XXX amount of dollars is a little frustrating too I'm sure. Hopefully it all gets resolved.

BroCaution

Appreciate the response. I've sent emails to the GL of IL, hopefully I can get some assistance.

I also would have no problem starting over, i'm the type of person who would rather do things right.

Bloke

Premium Member
Not sure if this is the correct channel to even ask this but I am in need of assistance. Long story short, I am not very knowledgeable of Masonry, and the only mason I know personally is my brother. I have been interested for about 8 years now, I am 26 years old. This past month I have petitioned to join my brother's lodge and was entered.

After the initiation, I was very excited to dive into the knowledge that was presented to me, and started researching even heavier than before. I purposely left parts of it to surprise, because I wanted to leave the "mystique" to it. With doing my diligent research I was devastated to learn the existence of clandestine organizations purporting to be true masons. I am African-American and was unaware of the various groups midleading people, since I had no prior connection to this network. It was not explained to me that I was not becoming a Free and Accepted Mason, but an International Mason. After grasping a slight understanding of recognition and history I asked the brothers of my lodge about their affliation with this body and why it wasn't explained to me and nobody gave me a real answer. I also inquired about the history and who allowed International to be created, and why I couldn't seem to find any history past 1950 about the order, also with no explanation from my lodge.

In conclusion, what am I to do? I have just been initiated and paid fees so I don't even have a dues card yet. How do I respectfully bow out of this lodge ? Also how can I get in touch with official brother who will be able to lead me in there right path? Even though I have only taken the first degree, I am very serious about the craft and being a part of a clandestine organization is not something I can be a part of. Please help if you can.

--

Wow... what did your brother say?

Not everyone knows about irregular/clandestine etc. If I suddenly found my GL was irregular after 13 years, I probably wouldn't care, because I don't travel and have a lot of friends in it....

Your brother might not have the same view as you, these groups often survive because they are tight knit, he might be firmly entrenched there; although it's sometimes obvious it's how "masons" make a living, churning through candidates to make a wage... that's not how regular Freemasonry works.. many regular freemasons regard these groups as a scam.. sadly, some are exactly that..

If you were my friend, I'd definitely recommend leaving before you get in too deep in sunk costs of cash and time, and also before making new friends which might make it tricky to leave.... (but if it was me, I'd be tempted to do the degrees to see how different they were :) but I'm a naughty non-conformist.....)

BroCaution

Wow... what did your brother say?

Not everyone knows about irregular/clandestine etc. If I suddenly found my GL was irregular after 13 years, I probably wouldn't care, because I don't travel and have a lot of friends in it....

Your brother might not have the same view as you, these groups often survive because they are tight knit, he might be firmly entrenched there; although it's sometimes obvious it's how "masons" make a living, churning through candidates to make a wage... that's not how regular Freemasonry works.. many regular freemasons regard these groups as a scam.. sadly, some are exactly that..

If you were my friend, I'd definitely recommend leaving before you get in too deep in sunk costs of cash and time, and also before making new friends which might make it tricky to leave.... (but if it was me, I'd be tempted to do the degrees to see how different they were :) but I'm a naughty non-conformist.....)

When I questioned my brother about it, he tried convincing me that the difference wasn't major (mind you he's 20 years my senior)..but that's something I can't accept. I want to do this the correct way so I can be in unity.

BullDozer Harrell

Sorry about the double post, didn't realize it. I'm from Chicago, IL
Good news for you. You're within the territory of my GL's jurisdiction. I'm a member of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Illinois. I hope to be of assistance to you.

A bit of mixed news though, you might have to just chalk up a financial loss with that organization. It's the William V. Banks group, right? But hey you'll save yourself from throwing away future monies. It's cheaper to just walk away NOW.

If you have the time, please take a few moments to check my GL's website and my subordinate lodge's as well.

Respectively, they are www.mwphglil.com and www.cornerstone91.com.

Android OS Nougat 7.0

BroCaution

Good news for you. You're within the territory of my GL's jurisdiction. I'm a member of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Illinois. I hope to be of assistance to you.

A bit of mixed news though, you might have to just chalk up a financial loss with that organization. It's the William V. Banks group, right? But hey you'll save yourself from throwing away future monies. It's cheaper to just walk away NOW.

If you have the time, please take a few moments to check my GL's website and my subordinate lodge's as well.

Respectively, they are www.mwphglil.com and www.cornerstone91.com.

Android OS Nougat 7.0

Sir I was just reading about your lodge last night. Do you guys have a building around 42nd? I attended De La Salle high school not too far from there.

BroCaution

And yes sir, i'd rather not mention the lodge and it is a William v Banks affiliated group.

I'm a reader, so after researching his "incorporated" group. I knew that this wasnt the organization I was looking to join.

BullDozer Harrell

And yes sir, i'd rather not mention the lodge and it is a William v Banks affiliated group.

I'm a reader, so after researching his "incorporated" group. I knew that this wasnt the organization I was looking to join.
International Free & Accepted Masonry founded by Banks started out as a splinter group from Modern Free & Accepted Masons founded by a guy named J. Baldwin.

Neither Banks nor Baldwin were ever Regular Masons. So their organizations are not traceable to a competent Masonic authority. Both sprung up from out of nowhere.

At least, John G. Jones and John A. Bell were Regular Masons at one point. However both were expelled for conferring degrees illegally and establishing lodges unlawfully throughout the U. S.

Android OS Nougat 7.0

BroCaution

Thank you for the information, and I will be in contact soon.

God works in mysterious ways, I was definitely on your lodges website last night as I was researching PHA Masons on the South Side of Chicago.

Thanks again for all the responses guys, furthermore proving that this is a great brotherhood.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

Just a note: being incorporated isn't a sign a group is clandestine (though this one is). It is an issue when the rely upon incorporation as a source of legitimacy

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
International Free & Accepted Masonry founded by Banks started out as a splinter group from Modern Free & Accepted Masons founded by a guy named J. Baldwin.

Neither Banks nor Baldwin were ever Regular Masons. So their organizations are not traceable to a competent Masonic authority. Both sprung up from out of nowhere.

At least, John G. Jones and John A. Bell were Regular Masons at one point. However both were expelled for conferring degrees illegally and establishing lodges unlawfully throughout the U. S.

Android OS Nougat 7.0
In TN modern free & accepted masons run rapid. Good luck convincing these guys their charter is bogus. Myself and other PHA masons has asked these guys why wont they leave modern free alone and joim a recongized lodge. I havent ever been given a answer.

BullDozer Harrell

In America please never wait on a response in email. Many lodges are terrible at responding. Look up when they meet. Knock on the door. Introduce yourself and tell them your situation.
Funny you would say so, Brother. It's so true.
Told him the exact same thing recently. I rarely check the lodge's email account. My preferences are personal email accts. My reasons are to control the quality of inquiries and volume i choose to deal with sometimes. Lots of cranks & kooks out there. The lodge's email attracts all.

Android OS Nougat 7.0