My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Increase in Materialism = Decrease in Spiritualism

owls84

Premium Member
Would be really nice to check some books out from the Libary of Alexandria on the building techniques of the Phoenicians.

Does anyone ever wonder, if the dark ages never happened, how much more advanced we will be. Also, why throughout time does it seem technology seem to take a huge step back? It has several times throughout the history of man and will it happen again? I think about this a lot, especially when I watch a show about the Romans.

Note: As I type this I think of the progression and degression of lodges, one could say that throughout time Lodges will flourish then almost fall. Almost like mini-civilazations. Man, I am really thinking now. Thanks for the posts.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Re: Origins of Masonry?

Also, why throughout time does it seem technology seem to take a huge step back?.

Because civilization does. As our material satisfaction increases, our spiritual desires/pursuits decrease. We become stagnant. If you aren't moving forward, you are getting left behind.

owls84

Premium Member

Because civilization does. As our material satisfaction increases, our spiritual desires/pursuits decrease. We become stagnant. If you aren't moving forward, you are getting left behind.

Based on this do you not see a decrease soon happening. As I read this I picture Rome and how powerful they were just before their demise and the dark ages. I picture guys in robes lounging around believing they are the Gods. Then I look at our present day and compare the two. How the US used to be a huge superpower and we became complacent. Then next thing you know we become greedy and now look at our current state. The outlook seems grim. Just brings up some really weird thoughts. I never connected the two.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member

I see the decrease already happening. First indicator is our decrease in influence in the global arena.

Sirius

Does anyone ever wonder, if the dark ages never happened, how much more advanced we will be.

Which Dark Ages? In world history several periods have passed that have been known as dark due to the loss of info. What I wonder is, where would we be if progress had never been stopped? Even more, what have we lost? We think we're advanced now. But what if, in fact, we're a millenia behind due to our lost knowledge.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I think "dark" periods are necessary for new ways of thought to be brought about. It brings about the need for change.