My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in Brothers thoughts on opening membership to 18 year olds.

David612

Ok one that hasn't acted on it? Or an alcoholic?

Sent from my SM-G386T using My Freemasonry mobile app
I can expand a bit on this, Is it immoral to be an alcoholic? I don’t know, it’s generally accepted as a disease so no it’s not immoral however if you just write it off as being someone who lacks will power and can’t keep their desire to drink in due bounds then you may feel justified in saying it’s immoral, assuming there is no impact on the lodge both opinions on it are irrelevant in the context of freemasonry.
It is not our right to press our opinions of morality on others, especially when they are well within the bounds of the law of the land.

HoldenMonty

In Pennsylvania the age is 18 and we had one guy that got his first and second when I did but was raised at a special meeting in July before he headed out to basic training to be in the army national guard.

Symthrell

So it seems we have two topics going in this one thread now. I appreciate all the responses and look forward to more. I, for what it is worth, have no problem with allowing 18 year olds to become masons. I think there are many young men mature enough to join. I also think there are 30 year olds, like my oldest son, who still thinks the money he earns from his job is to first pay for his weekend partying and hence he lacks the maturity to join. So I think it is more the individual than the age.

As to the other topic, I don't care if a man is heterosexual or homosexual if he is a good individual I am all for him joining.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
He can't do much, because we (TN) are still clandestine in California.
For the record, California does not consider TN “clandestine,” they have only suspended recognition. There is a marked difference. A Brother who is a member of both GLs can still attend lodge in CA, but not in TN.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Kentucky lowered the minimum age to 18 some years ago. I have not heard of any problems occurring.

CLewey44

I don't think it'd ever be a situation where the problem is because a member was 18 or 19 years old. The only problem would be one that sometimes already exists and that's guarding the west. 18 or 80, we sometimes let the wrong fellas in.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
18 in New Jersey.
The only 18 year olds I've seen initiated in my Lodge were Demolay or Scouts.

One of our initiations had four 18 year olds. Three of which were Demolay and sons of Master Masons in our lodge.

We were 21 up until 2014 or 2015.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
For the record, California does not consider TN “clandestine,” they have only suspended recognition. There is a marked difference. A Brother who is a member of both GLs can still attend lodge in CA, but not in TN.
You mean that if he's a TN and CA mason he couldn't go to lodge in TN?

Sent from my SM-G386T using My Freemasonry mobile app

Edited to correct "Auto correct" mistakes

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
My question is why couldn't California revoke that brothers membership as he is a member of an unrecognized body? Couldn't that brother be brought up on Masonic charges just for being a TN Mason?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I can’t speak for the Grands but I would guess it’s a “baby and bath water” situation. You can’t fault a Brother for being a member of something that’s temporarily off limits, but you can forbid him from attending.

Brian Maxwell

I don't see an issue either. It's a great thing to pass on freemasonary to the younger generations. There are not as many young men getting into the craft as 100 years ago. Let's get our membership, and pass on what our elders gave us!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using My Freemasonry mobile app

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
My question is why couldn't California revoke that brothers membership as he is a member of an unrecognized body? Couldn't that brother be brought up on Masonic charges just for being a TN Mason?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry
I would assume the "when in Rome" rule is in effect.

We have a NY Worshipful Brother visit our Lodge in NJ from time to time. He wears his PM apron from NY. He want's to become a member of our lodge while retaining his NY membership as well. Once he becomes a NJ Mason, he cannot wear his PM Apron from NY in a NJ Lodge meeting but can continue to wear his PM Apron when in New York.

I think the Brother that is a CA Mason and a TN Mason concurrently can sit in a Lodge in CA as that membership would take precedence regardless of his TN membership. However, the grey area would be travelling out of CA to a state that does not recognize TN.

He can show his CA dues card and get in, but is he being unmasonic by not disclosing his TN membership? Same for a NY and NJ Mason visiting abroad in Scotland. If I go through my Grand Secretary in NJ to get a certificate of good standing, am I breaking masonic law by not divulging my NY membership given that situation that exists?

acjohnson53

No, they are not ready yet, I'm down for the youth but 18, c'mon now. remember our country did away with the draft, so I would rather see a 21 year old versus an 18 year old....they still confused on which direction they gonna take in life.....

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
No, they are not ready yet, I'm down for the youth but 18, c'mon now. remember our country did away with the draft, so I would rather see a 21 year old versus an 18 year old....they still confused on which direction they gonna take in life.....
On the whole, I agree with this. Yes, we were subject to the draft, but the military also teaches the boot how to sleep, bathe, eat, walk, and talk (or not talk, the latter being my issue). Really, an 18 year old should be chasing girls and going to school.