My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in Freemasonry

Bloke

Premium Member
Just so I don't have three total threads going at once I'll just ask some of my other questions here as well:
  • What is the structure of the Masonic Investigations Committee for a typical lodge, and how exactly do they function? Is it almost alike to an Internal Affairs for Law Enforcement, or a Review Board for a business, or is not a formalized Committee but more rather a "assembled" thing consisting of a few members assigned to doing it for this single time?
  • In terms of what Bloke had said,
    It makes it sound as if there is almost "Clubs" within the Lodge itself, or is it basically just clique type things (but more in a professional manner)?
  • I'm slightly confused on the difference between the York Rite and Scottish Rite above regular Masonic Craft; What are the different Orders and how exactly does it work versus a regular Freemasonry Craft.
Such groups work in lots of different ways - but they should not be cliques - they're destructive.

Sent from my SM-G920I using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
What is the structure of the Masonic Investigations Committee for a typical lodge, and how exactly do they function? Is it almost alike to an Internal Affairs for Law Enforcement, or a Review Board for a business, or is not a formalized Committee but more rather a "assembled" thing consisting of a few members assigned to doing it for this single time

It will vary from place to place and lodge to lodge. Some have standing committees, others ad hoc, however the intent to to inquire as to the suitablity of a potential candidate for freemasonry, hopefully in a friendly and welcoming group. They ask questions, you give answers. You ask questions, they give answers. However, they should not be an inquistion and are more akin to a meet and greet.

I'm slightly confused on the difference between the York Rite and Scottish Rite above regular Masonic Craft; What are the different Orders and how exactly does it work versus a regular Freemasonry Craft.

That's a complex question, but simply, once a man becomes a Master Mason, he can join other Masonic Groups. In Nth America, these are conceived as being in two streams, one called York Rite which is a collection of degrees under different peak groups. The other called Scottish Rite, which is also a collection of degrees, but working under a single sovereign body. In the USA there are two peak regular bodies of Scottish Rite generally referred to, the Northern and the Southern Jurisdictions of Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite (AASR).

dfreybur

Premium Member
What is the structure of the Masonic Investigations Committee for a typical lodge, and how exactly do they function?

Three members get asked to look into you and they report on your character. Often they work together but that's not automatic. It's much less formal than you expect.

Plus many states do a background check organized at the state level - All are at least discussing this and are at various stages implementing it.

It makes it sound as if there is almost "Clubs" within the Lodge itself, or is it basically just clique type things (but more in a professional manner)?

Some lodges are traditionally for men interested in something specific, but that's a minority of lodges. Mostly it's just plenty of Brothers in a lodge happen to have an interest. My mother lodge has roughly half of the members from assorted police departments so almost every meeting there are a couple of bags under chairs. If you don't know what the bags are for you might never notice them.

'm slightly confused on the difference between the York Rite and Scottish Rite above regular Masonic Craft; What are the different Orders and how exactly does it work versus a regular Freemasonry Craft.

That's like asking for the application process for graduate schools while you are still in high school. Masonry is based on the local lodges that confer the 3 degrees. Everything else is optional. Those are extra and optional orders no one is expected to join. They all require completion of your Master Mason degree and some have a minimum of time after that. Horse first, please. Cart is for later.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
That's a complex question, but simply, once a man becomes a Master Mason, he can join other Masonic Groups. In Nth America, these are conceived as being in two streams, one called York Rite which is a collection of degrees under different peak groups. The other called Scottish Rite, which is also a collection of degrees, but working under a single sovereign body. In the USA there are two peak regular bodies of Scottish Rite generally referred to, the Northern and the Southern Jurisdictions of Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite (AASR).
That's like asking for the application process for graduate schools while you are still in high school. Masonry is based on the local lodges that confer the 3 degrees. Everything else is optional. Those are extra and optional orders no one is expected to join. They all require completion of your Master Mason degree and some have a minimum of time after that. Horse first, please. Cart is for later.
Both excellent answers.

Bloke

Premium Member
...That's like asking for the application process for graduate schools while you are still in high school.... Horse first, please. Cart is for later.

I had the same thought and was thinking similar analogies. I decided not to make a comment on those lines, because people often like long terms goals and also, it seemed easier to answer the question :) But you're right Dough. Horse first, cart later :)