My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Discussion about Freemasonry with a family member....

LK600

Premium Member
... Last week I got a call from my sister (I see her maybe once a year, she lives pretty far). It was while I was performing my EA duty of cooking dinner at the Lodge. I texted her I was busy cooking at Lodge and I'd call her back later. She asked what was a Lodge so I told her I was a Mason. There was a pause then she texted OOHHHH.... your a Baptist now? Confused, I texted back a question mark. She then said Mason's are Baptists because Ben Franklin was a Mason and he was a Baptist. I am still very perplexed by this entire conversation. :)

Does anyone have similar issues in relation to family and masonry?

Reactions: MWS

Elexir

... Last week I got a call from my sister (I see her maybe once a year, she lives pretty far). It was while I was performing my EA duty of cooking dinner at the Lodge. I texted her I was busy cooking at Lodge and I'd call her back later. She asked what was a Lodge so I told her I was a Mason. There was a pause then she texted OOHHHH.... your a Baptist now? Confused, I texted back a question mark. She then said Mason's are Baptists because Ben Franklin was a Mason and he was a Baptist. I am still very perplexed by this entire conversation. :)

Does anyone have similar issues in relation to family and masonry?

The closest is my stepmom who is sceptical about fraternetys in general and has had a few harsh comments.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
So far no issues with family. I know there were some questions there since they are both completely devoted to their church. I had them come to my installation when I moved to the East and since then they have been much more accepting of it. I think the questions were there due to the numerous specials on the History Channel.

CLewey44

I had a guy, sort of jokingly, come up to me when he saw my S&C on my suit and said 'oh you're in the 'brotherhood', the KKK'. Again he was joking and I just laughed it off. Some people have no clue. Even the "experts" when I listen to them on Youtube or something are so ridiculous it cracks me up.

LK600

Premium Member
So far no issues with family. I know there were some questions there since they are both completely devoted to their church. I had them come to my installation when I moved to the East and since then they have been much more accepting of it. I think the questions were there due to the numerous specials on the History Channel.
yes... the history channel, while highly entertaining, has become somewhat... factually questionable? lol

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I had a guy, sort of jokingly, come up to me when he saw my S&C on my suit and said 'oh you're in the 'brotherhood', the KKK'. Again he was joking and I just laughed it off. Some people have no clue. Even the "experts" when I listen to them on Youtube or something are so ridiculous it cracks me up.

No doubt. I just watched one this morning that had me rolling with laughter.

HoldenMonty

My uncle is an "interesting" individual when Masons comes up. He's very against the Masons and thinks that they are out to destroy any kind of faith. But of course he thinks that the Freemasons are a religion... He's very against my Dad being a Mason but him and my Dad never had a good relationship growing up because my uncle would be the worst bully that my Dad ever had growing up so my Dad really doesn't care. I had a pretty good relationship with my uncle until he heard that I became a Mason and told me to get a book called the real secrets of freemasonry... I told him I might pick it up if I ever find one laying around. And ever since then he hasn't really talked to me much at all. I know it's probably not really the proper standpoint but hearing from both my uncle and my Dad about the crap my Uncle would pull and do to my Dad and my uncle still laughs about most of it I really don't care if my uncle doesn't like him or I being a Mason and if he avoids contact with us because of it then we are better for it so we don't have to hear the crap he believes about freemasonry.

MarkR

Premium Member
My wife is, as she puts it, a "recovering Catholic." Many in her family are very active Catholics. At a family reunion this summer, a couple of them asked me whether it was true that the Masons won't accept Catholics. I informed them that it was the Church that has a problem with Masons, not the other way around, and that I know many Catholic Freemasons. They either were satisfied with that answer, or decided to just let it drop.

LK600

Premium Member
Yeah, that's cool if you volunteer to do it but EAs are not slaves to MMs as part of 'their duty'. Your only duty is to learn the cat lecture and keep your obligations.
Whole heartedly agree. I have never felt like a slave; quite the opposite. I have met many members and got to know them by serving in this capacity.

LK600

Premium Member
That's good to hear. I was a little concerned there lol. Glad to hear it's working out well for you. :)
It is thanks you. To be honest (and this might sound strange), it is still "odd feeling" that so many men greet me with such warmth and friendliness; with genuineness. Hope in some ways, I never become use to it. But, whether you call it paying my dues or, finding avenues to serve/contribute to the lodge (EA's are limited in some ways) I think the more involved I am, the closer I am drawn to the brothers and the lodge. It works for me. :)

Keith C

... There was a pause then she texted OOHHHH.... your a Baptist now? Confused, I texted back a question mark. She then said Mason's are Baptists because Ben Franklin was a Mason and he was a Baptist. I am still very perplexed by this entire conversation. :)

Very odd, since Bro. Franklin was most certainly NOT a Baptist! He was pretty much a Deist, but he was a Member of the "Old Pine Street Church" (Third Scotts & Mariners Presbyterian Church) in Philadelphia.