My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Discussion about Freemasonry with a family member....

Matt L

Site Benefactor
I had a neighbor over one day and we were talking in the driveway. He asked me why I had Mason county tags on my car, I told him I didn't have Mason county tags. He said yes you do, I told him I was a Mason, and it was a Masonic license plate. He told me it was a cult and walked off. It's been about 10 years and he will not even wave.

CLewey44

I had a neighbor over one day and we were talking in the driveway. He asked me why I had Mason county tags on my car, I told him I didn't have Mason county tags. He said yes you do, I told him I was a Mason, and it was a Masonic license plate. He told me it was a cult and walked off. It's been about 10 years and he will not even wave.
That's pretty pathetic on his part....

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
The worst thing so far is a friend who jokingly refers to it as a clan meeting. He means it to be funny but I'm put off by it given the current (and past) influence of that organization.

LK600

Premium Member
I wasn't questioning you, Brother, just trying to grasp the huge lack of logic from the person that said that to you.
I totally understood that Brother, which is why I said it in jest. No worries, and yes... it still confuses me. :)

frehm

Sounds like she should make some research about Freemasonry...

My family members have always been very relaxed with my membership in fraternal orders. They are not likely to join, but still seem happy I found "my thing" and do show polite interest.

The only reactions I got is from a friend and former collegue that have the opinion that it is not necessary for a Christian to be a member in fraternal orders. She is quite critical to the whole thing, but does respect my choice.

Bloke

Premium Member
It is thanks you. To be honest (and this might sound strange), it is still "odd feeling" that so many men greet me with such warmth and friendliness; with genuineness. Hope in some ways, I never become use to it. But, whether you call it paying my dues or, finding avenues to serve/contribute to the lodge (EA's are limited in some ways) I think the more involved I am, the closer I am drawn to the brothers and the lodge. It works for me. :)

This reminds me of something a Past Master of our Lodge wrote;

I have to admit I was a bit of a sceptic about the worth of Masonry, but I did enjoy the brotherhood. My biggest bit of scepticism in the first couple of years was coping with totally unknown brothers walking up, vigorously shaking my hand, and telling me how glad they were to meet me. I had worked in PR for many years and couldn't help but take it with a grain or two of salt. Bugger me, I caught myself one night doing exactly the same thing. As I began to reprimand myself, I found that I actually meant it. And I have done ever since.

Source http://www.lodgedevotion.net/about-...odge-devotion-freemasonry-bro-rudyard-kipling

Bloke

Premium Member
... Last week I got a call from my sister (I see her maybe once a year, she lives pretty far). It was while I was performing my EA duty of cooking dinner at the Lodge. I texted her I was busy cooking at Lodge and I'd call her back later. She asked what was a Lodge so I told her I was a Mason. There was a pause then she texted OOHHHH.... your a Baptist now? Confused, I texted back a question mark. She then said Mason's are Baptists because Ben Franklin was a Mason and he was a Baptist. I am still very perplexed by this entire conversation. :)

Does anyone have similar issues in relation to family and masonry?

Where do I start ?

With the shortest one. Out with a client who would later become a friend, I said the word "Freemasonry" and he proceeded to tell me all about it.... at the end of which he said something like "They would never let you in, because you're a catholic".. I was then a Past Master. I think I'd slipped or lead the conversation to the topic because I thought he might be interested and good material.. but after hearing him on the topic I left it. Over the years we got closer and my GF kept seeing him at the Gym. She was surprised to discover he was not a brother, because she thought he "felt" like one (the man is very nice, warm and friendly, civic minded and can talk the leg off a chair; need I say more?). Who say's women are not important in Freemasonry ? Based on her encouragement I approached him again, we invested him as Steward at our Oct Installation.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The only reactions I got is from a friend and former collegue that have the opinion that it is not necessary for a Christian to be a member in fraternal orders. S
Well, it is also not "necessary" for a Christian to take up such activities but that does not mean that there is anything negative about it either.
She is quite critical to the whole thing, but does respect my choice.
This sounds like a reasonable person and a good friend.

Bloke

Premium Member
The other two come from my eldest Brother and my Dad.

Dad first.... bear with me..... (and I will premise this by saying he's a Church going Catholic, Past President of the Parish Council etc and I am a member of that Church and have utmost respect for all Faiths...).... So. I worked for my dad for years. One day I return to the office, walk into his office and say "Bloody Christians".... he asks what is up and I proceed to tell him with outrage how the CEO of a Christian Organisation was lying through his teeth to me. Hypocrisy and dam right dishonest and VERY UNCHRISTIAN. My dad explained they are the worst kind, they think because God is on their side, they can treat others any way they like... He tells me how a Minister once has several leaders of his congregation lie on his behalf in court during a business dispute and continues saying "they are just like the <<insert groups names>> and the Knights of the Southern Cross and Freemasons, they do not treat others outside their groups with the same respect as those within it". I pause. And I should add my Dad was born in 1933 and until the 1970's there was some degree of sectarianism in Melbourne, Catholic vrs Protestant, born of British (English/Irish) politics and the Conscription Debate here in Melbourne during WW1.... I will also add my Dad is a Knight of the Southern Cross ( for American readers, they are the Australian equivalent of Knights of Columbus).

So I tell him its funny he mentions the Freemasons because I'd joined them and that was not my experience of them. He was not happy at first, but trusts me and he accepted my version of how I saw them. I was very proud and touched to have him at my last Installation, with families invited in after Lodge has closed, he sat to my left in Lodge with our GM to my right. I thought my mum might also object, but turned out her fav cousin was in Lodge as was her uncle.

JanneProeliator

Yeah, that's cool if you volunteer to do it but EAs are not slaves to MMs as part of 'their duty'. Your only duty is to learn the cat lecture and keep your obligations.
In my lodge EAs are not expected to do anything but listen learn and socialize. Younger MMs are serving the food, cleaning the tables and pouring some wine, vodka and coffee. Food we order from catering service and the also clean up and wash diches afterwards.
My last meeting our younger MMs who where suposed to handle the service had to leave so me and another EA "had" to do it and everyone where really sorry for that. I was glad I could help. :)

Edit: And what comes to the primary subject.
My om and dad where pretty sceptical about me joining freemasonry. My dad tends to think masons are elitistic group of upper class people who are politically manipulating the sociaety. I told him that obviously they are not ebcause I was accepted. :D
My mom did some "recearch" and found out that masons are either satanistic of jewish or other religious group who practisse occultism and are a cult like group. I tried to expain her better.
Now both of them are pretty cool about me being a mason when they found out I'm still free but also now accepted man and I havent been brainwashed into a goat riding satanist. :D

Last edited:

CLewey44

In my lodge EAs are not expected to do anything but listen learn and socialize. Younger MMs are serving the food, cleaning the tables and pouring some wine, vodka and coffee. Food we order from catering service and the also clean up and wash diches afterwards.
My last meeting our younger MMs who where suposed to handle the service had to leave so me and another EA "had" to do it and everyone where really sorry for that. I was glad I could help. :)

Edit: And what comes to the primary subject.
My om and dad where pretty sceptical about me joining freemasonry. My dad tends to think masons are elitistic group of upper class people who are politically manipulating the sociaety. I told him that obviously they are not ebcause I was accepted. :D
My mom did some "recearch" and found out that masons are either satanistic of jewish or other religious group who practisse occultism and are a cult like group. I tried to expain her better.
Now both of them are pretty cool about me being a mason when they found out I'm still free but also now accepted man and I havent been brainwashed into a goat riding satanist. :D

The Satanist stuff cracks me up. People see a star here and there, a skull, triangles, numbers or burning tapir etc. and suddenly it's satanic. The fact is, some 'occult' groups utilize the same or similar symbolism and people tie them all together. A lot of those same groups use the cross as well but that gets glazed over. Furthermore, many 'fringe' Masonic groups or occult groups were actually founded by Master Masons so they were clearly influenced by Masonry. Learning the meaning of some of these symbols are important but it won't happen with everyone.

As for the Jewish things, there is a lot of Jewish symbolism in Masonry and really, I don't see any problem with that. It's the oldest of the big 3 religions and has had the most impact on the later religions in that area.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
So I tell him its funny he mentions the Freemasons because I'd joined them and that was not my experience of them. He was not happy at first, but trusts me and he accepted my version of how I saw them. I was very proud and touched to have him at my last Installation, with families invited in after Lodge has closed, he sat to my left in Lodge with our GM to my right. I thought my mum might also object, but turned out her fav cousin was in Lodge as was her uncle.
Great!
The Satanist stuff cracks me up.
Same here!
As for the Jewish things, there is a lot of Jewish symbolism in Masonry and really, I don't see any problem with that. It's the oldest of the big 3 religions and has had the most impact on the later religions in that area.
Totally agree.

Keith C

Well, if there's animal sacrifice involved, no wonder people suspect satanism! :p

Who would burn such a cute little critter?

1200px-Malayan_Tapir.JPG