My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Investigation questions

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Why do you want to be a Mason?
What do you expect to/think you will get out of Freemasonry?
What do you have to offer the lodge?
How does your wife feel about you wanting to become a Mason?
Do you have any family members who are Masons?
Are you stable financially? (Followed by informing him there are financial obligations to being a member and if he can't support his family, he doesn't need to join any fraternal organization.)
Do you belong to any other civic groups? If so, do you participate in them regularly? How do you plan to manage participation in those groups and in the lodge?

I always do investigations at the lodge and invite family members. I want to show them around the lodge to put to rest any concerns about what goes on at a Masonic lodge (if they have been reading too much junk on the internet.)

Bro. Landry

Why do you want to be a Mason?
What do you expect to/think you will get out of Freemasonry?
What do you have to offer the lodge?
How does your wife feel about you wanting to become a Mason?
Do you have any family members who are Masons?
Are you stable financially? (Followed by informing him there are financial obligations to being a member and if he can't support his family, he doesn't need to join any fraternal organization.)
Do you belong to any other civic groups? If so, do you participate in them regularly? How do you plan to manage participation in those groups and in the lodge?

I always do investigations at the lodge and invite family members. I want to show them around the lodge to put to rest any concerns about what goes on at a Masonic lodge (if they have been reading too much junk on the internet.)
Thx. Those are some of the questions asked

Dow Mathis

Premium Member
Sorry to be so late to the party, but I'd like to echo what's been said about having the wife there. I highly prefer to do interviews in the petitioner's home, with his wife and family present. This even extends to the family pets. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats his animals. Also, part of my job as an investigator is to answer questions as well as ask them. Specifically, I try to put the wife at ease and get an idea of her interest and whether she is supportive of his interest. If she isn't then it will be harder for him as he goes through the degrees, from the standpoint of time away from the house and kids, time away for meetings, etc. I'm a firm believer that it is essential in a marriage for both spouses to agree on any major undertaking, and becoming a mason can be a very major undertaking, seeing that the lessons taught can and should branch out to all parts of a man's life.

As far as questions to ask, I think that they've been covered pretty well in the previous answers. Oh, and I like the "have you got a will" one. I've never heard of that being asked, but it makes a lot of sense.

BullDozer Harrell

I'm not sure that this would be an appropriate question for a Masonic investigation committee to ask.
By what standards are you judging this?

As fair as asking a man does he believe in God? Does he drink or smoke drugs? Have he beaten his wife or girlfriend lately? Etc

Ok my last question was made in jest. But my point is that the Investigation process comes with some inappropriate questions sometimes, in everybody's opinion.

Believe it or not, a question was asked by a Committee member one time of a potential candidate have he ever had gonorrhea? I was like, really dude. But as he pointed out, it was a legit question printed on the Petition prepared by our GL and made for use by all of our subordinate lodges?

"Are you with the burn or have you ever been sexually burned in your past before?" Lol. Go figure.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Just my personal opinion.
I think its perfectly acceptable question as some people think that Freemasonry is a way to get money, and if the petitioner has a terminal illness and is joining in hopes of being taken care of or having their family taken care of it needs to be addressed. We already ask if they understand that Freemasonry isnt a bank or insurance agency, but i like the addition of the question in discussion here!

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
By what standards are you judging this?

As fair as asking a man does he believe in God? Does he drink or smoke drugs? Have he beaten his wife or girlfriend lately? Etc

Ok my last question was made in jest. But my point is that the Investigation process comes with some inappropriate questions sometimes, in everybody's opinion.

Believe it or not, a question was asked by a Committee member one time of a potential candidate have he ever had gonorrhea? I was like, really dude. But as he pointed out, it was a legit question printed on the Petition prepared by our GL and made for use by all of our subordinate lodges?

"Are you with the burn or have you ever been sexually burned in your past before?" Lol. Go figure.
Well, you do jest (and I thought it was funny), but I'm involved in a matter dealing with a Mason who was brought in with two felonies protective order violations and a felony domestic in the presence of a child. This came to light when his probation was violated for a new protective order violation and he did time for the various matters. Neither the lodge nor the then GM did anything, so now I get to help clean up the mess.
So, while I wouldn't phrase the question as have you beaten your partner lately, I would ask more pointed questions.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Well, you do jest (and I thought it was funny), but I'm involved in a matter dealing with a Mason who was brought in with two felonies protective order violations and a felony domestic in the presence of a child. This came to light when his probation was violated for a new protective order violation and he did time for the various matters. Neither the lodge nor the then GM did anything, so now I get to help clean up the mess.
So, while I wouldn't phrase the question as have you beaten your partner lately, I would ask more pointed questions.
Wow! Your on the jurisprudence committee right?

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
To a certain extent I agree. But I am not going to go into detail on my finances to an investigation committee.
We do not ask for banking information, yearly salaries, investment plans, etc. We simply ask the question to see if the man that is petitioning is thinking ahead. We would never come back with an unfavorable report unless the man hinted at joining for the purpose of living in the masonic home or thinking the lodge would support him.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
We do not ask for banking information, yearly salaries, investment plans, etc. We simply ask the question to see if the man that is petitioning is thinking ahead.
During my investigation the three brothers visited my wife and myself in our home. They simply asked if we were financially sound to the point that dues and other lodge expenses would not put an undue burden on the family. I would also guess seeing what kind of home we live in would also give them some idea of this. I have no problem giving a general answer regarding my finances but would not go into detail.

BullDozer Harrell

"The California Penal Code provides that private property owners may authorize local law enforcement to arrest trespassers under certain provisions. A Trespass Letter must be on file and signs must be posted."
Lol. All along i'm thinking of a Masonic trespass letter. Never heard of one. But i'm familiar with the law you'd referenced in the CPC.

Same in Illinois.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I'm only guessing, but the way Glen worded it it sounds like a letter to keep someone off lodge property.