My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Investigation questions

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Check with your Secretary or Grand Secretary. In my jurisdiction there is a handbook for investigating committees. Rip has some good questions.
Are you going to meet the candidate at his home or the lodge, if married will you meet with his wife? At the beginning of this year we are also required to do a formal background investigation.

CLewey44

I would definitely mention that Masonry can be quite time consuming if one so desires. It can be as time consuming as you want it to be, but the adage "You get out of it what you put into it" is very true. Is the man's wife on board with the idea, assuming he's married. There was a thread recently here that someone's wife was having issues with him joining and he didn't know what to do. The overwhelming response to that was, 'don't join'.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
http://www.masonic-lodge-of-education.com/masonic-investigative-committee.html
http://www.grandlodge-nc.org/storage/wysiwyg/GLNC Investigating committee guidelines-July 2015.pdf
http://www.utahgrandlodge.org/members/file.php?file=/1/Jon-Osier-Educational-Investigations.pdf

This should be helpful! Unless you've done investigation work in the past and often it is something you're probably not great at. That is perfectly fine. This is why I am a big supporter of the in home interview. Even if you don't know what you're looking for you can "feel" things.

Imagine you go to a construction site and you are an accountant a casual observer might miss it but someone looking for things would see a difference. They might not know why or what is different but they will know something is different. In a home, and we have all been to different ones, look for things that are different. If things are in the wide area of what is normal that is a good sign.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
What arrangements have you made for your family (if he has one) if you should have a life altering event happen or if you should pass unexpectedly?

Bloke

Premium Member
What arrangements have you made for your family (if he has one) if you should have a life altering event happen or if you should pass unexpectedly?

Ha ! And I note Warriors comment below....

My proposer used to ask the same sort of question, but more bluntly: "Have you made a Will?".... then immediately following with " we don't need to know the answer, but Freemasons look after each other, and their families and that's a lot easier when a brother who dies has a will. I had a friend and brother died without one and it made my job of looking after his widow and children a lot harder because he hadn't written a will.... " I've been an Investigative Committee member in 5 Craft Lodges and seen older brothers ask this question, often by " We don't need an answer, but have you made a will...." followed by an explanation why it's important. Me, i rarely ask it...

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
" I've been an Investigative Committee member in 5 Craft Lodges and seen older brothers ask this question, often by " We don't need an answer, but have you made a will...." followed by an explanation why it's important.
I would probably take it a lot better if it was put to me this way.

Bro. Landry

Check with your Secretary or Grand Secretary. In my jurisdiction there is a handbook for investigating committees. Rip has some good questions.
Are you going to meet the candidate at his home or the lodge, if married will you meet with his wife? At the beginning of this year we are also required to do a formal background investigation.

At his home and we we'll probably meet his wife

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I'm not sure that this would be an appropriate question for a Masonic investigation committee to ask.
I was asked this in another way. I couldn't remember the wording. To put it simply, after I was raised, I was told stories of petitioners asking about masonic benefits and the masonic home.

So, we ask along the lines of what future arrangements have you made for your family?