My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is A Reconciliation Between The Catholic Church And Freemasonry Possible?

flameburns623

Leo XIII rooted his condemnation of Freemasonry on two things:

1). The staunch opposition of the Catholic Church of his day to the ideas of the Enlightenment and of Classical Liberalism. Philosophically, Pope Leo (and his successors until Vatican II) were wed to sociopolitical ideas rooted in monarchy, aristocracy, and pre-modern social order.

This has changed in our generation. The documents of Vatican II, and the Popes since at least that time, have come to a greater rapprochement between Catholic Dogma and modern democratic systems. It is no longer a sin to believe, openly, in a democratic republic.

2). The Pope was jaundiced against all things Masonic not only by the excesses of Continental (Grand Orient) Freemasonry, particularly the French Revolution; but also other anticlerical movements heavily influenced by known Freemasons who were simultaneously virulently hostile to hierarchical and dogmatic Christian churches, particularly the Roman Catholic church. Leo XIII would have been most familiar with Masonic inspired movements which were highly political, and which were wresting influence (and property) away from the RCC.

Leo would have been less aware, IMHO, of mainstream, English-speaking Freemasonry, which has always been noticeably less politicized.

Moreover, until the pist-WWII era, particularly following the aforementioned Council of VII, the Catholic Church was opposed to and condemned the sort of ecumenism which is central to Freemasonry. Since VII, of course, the RCC has been a leader in the ecumenical movement.

So I think there is considerable wiggle room for the RCC to move towards a friendlier embrace of Freemasonry. As with relations with the Eastern Orthodox Church, there remain things to work out. And Catholicism is the absolute paragon of "deliberate speed": change comes very gradually to Her.

But, yes, there is hope. IMHO.

Last edited:

John B Heaton

As a Free Mason, I have been asked by an organization to which I belong, Society of the Military Order of the Temple at Jerusalem (SMOTJ), to not mention my Masonic associations in a 'don't ask, don't tell' missive sent out by the organization. The majority of members of this group are Roman Catholic. I have also noted that the Knights of Malta organization has levied the same ruling. As a Protestant and a Master Mason I don't really see any co-operation in the future.

FriendshipCube

I have Catholic friends, Grand Knights of Malta. As a Knighted Christian, in the presence of worthy faithful navigators and Knights, I focus on historical moments of time before the schism in the Church.
Gentlemen Catholics will assert that Masons, in general, are, "a bit heretical." At a higher level, however, I have witnessed convergence through mutually internalized principles; Christian principles.
The Catholic Church fears that some being other than Jesus Christ could become the means for transmitting illumination within Freemasonry. There has to be one gateway, a single portal, the Grand Portal of Jesus Christ. The inner circle of the Monarchy, the Court of Star Chamber, the Knights of Malta, the Garter Knights, and the Royal Family, cooperate together towards this end:

LK600

Premium Member

If your referring to the post directly above yours, I believe he is saying due to Masonry's stance on personal choice of Deity and/or book of law(s) allowed, Masonry could potentially be leading men astray. The many paths verses the one path argument. Yes, that argument doesn't hold, but only if the church believes us when we discuss intentions. Other than that, I do not know.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I believe he is saying due to Masonry's stance on personal choice of Deity and/or book of law(s) allowed, Masonry could potentially be leading men astray.
Yeah, from what I understand this is what the Catholic Church has had against Masonry from the beginning.

FriendshipCube

templarknightschamber12.jpg

"Candle to the Craft" celebrates what is good within both the Holy Church and the Masonic Order, highlighting the wisdom and dedication of the operative masons who built the great churches, temples, and shrines of the ages.