My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is peace ever possible?

"Lewis"

"Man's history is one of struggle"- there are so many different people in this world that one's "right" and another's "wrong" are completely opposite. some people believe that the only way for peace is to force everyone to cooperate. However, what kind of a world would that be? Certainly not the world I'd want to live in... No, I believe peace has to come the right way, even if it might not be possible, we must try. For it is that very human emotion that makes us want to try, to succeed, no matter the odds. It's all based around how determined you are, I guess...

Traveling Man

Premium Member
"Man's history is one of struggle"- there are so many different people in this world that one's "right" and another's "wrong" are completely opposite. some people believe that the only way for peace is to force everyone to cooperate. However, what kind of a world would that be? Certainly not the world I'd want to live in... No, I believe peace has to come the right way, even if it might not be possible, we must try. For it is that very human emotion that makes us want to try, to succeed, no matter the odds. It's all based around how determined you are, I guess...

“Right†ranks right up there with “truthâ€.

There is absolute “truthâ€.
There is perceived “truthâ€.
Revealed “truthâ€.
And then there is scientifically proven “truthâ€.

What is your “perception†of “right� These are the sorts of things that people go to war over.
“History†is exactly that; His-Story: I.e. the victorious parties.

Example: There is a propensity to declare that more people have died at the hands of religion than anything else. While that makes good religious bashing, it is not true. More people have died at the hands of communist than everything else combined. The speaker usually continues with the example of the crusades; when in fact the crusades were a reaction to the onslaught of Islam, the religion of peace (not vice versa). But this all depends on the individuals’ vantage point. So, what is the €œtruthâ€, who is "right"?

PeterLT

Premium Member
So, what is the “truthâ€, who is "right"?

"Truth" is like beauty, it depends on the beholder and is transitory. The truths of our parent's day have been transformed to fit the requirements of our liberal, "progressive" society. Even known evils, such as Hitler and Stalin, are now being graced with ingratiating inclusions such as, "but he built the autobahn system", or "there was zero unemployment under him".

I would think, especially as pertains to Freemasonry, that the only real truth is what you discover about yourself. The only real result is what you do with that truth.

Peter