My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the end really near for freemasonry ?

Winter

Premium Member
Lets get off of the bar, it is not about the bar.......it is about breaking the rules.
Well, to be fair, you started the discussion on bars in Lodges and it really is a hot button topic whenever it comes up here and in other discussion areas. And, as stated, we are not talking about breaking the rules. If a GL says no bars on premises, of course don't put a bar in the Lodge. That rule and the reason behind it is the issue being challenged here.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

GKA

Premium Member
Thats my point, the lodge did it anyway, I will add that there is an antagonistic attitude toward GL at that lodge, which is another topic all together.

Winter

Premium Member
Thats my point, the lodge did it anyway, I will add that there is an antagonistic attitude toward GL at that lodge, which is another topic all together.
Well, I wholeheartedly agree that installing a bar against the regulations of that jurisdiction is absolutley unacceptable and should be dealt with. I imagine it must have been reported to the GL which makes me wonder why they have not come down on that Lodge like a ten ton hammer. I know my GL would have immediately.

GKA

Premium Member
Not reported, or GL does not care, either way, it has remained for over a year

Last edited:

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
May I ask why you feel so strongly on the subject that you would stop attending?

Lodge is one place where alcohol is not present, I have enough places to hangout and BS where alcohol is available.
Would be the same if they started admitted women... I would stop attending.

GKA

Premium Member
I think I understand brother Thomas position.
For me, the lodge is a place of refuge. When it radically changes, it will cease to be that for me.

Winter

Premium Member
I think I understand brother Thomas position.
For me, the lodge was a place of refuge. When it radically changes, it will cease to be that for me.
I have still yet to hear a solid argument as to how Brothers having a glass of brandy together after Lodge ruins that. What is it about the addition of alcoholic beverages to a Masonic gathering that makes it unacceptable? And the fact that your position is that of you don't get things your way you'll leave does not help your argument. I frequently don't get things my way in Masonry (ODC is still a thing!) but I don't take my apron and go home.

GKA

Premium Member
You are still fixated on the bar drink issue, you need to move past that, this discussion is not about alcohol, regardless of how much you try to make it so

GKA

Premium Member
I do not know how others evaluated Freemasonry prior to joining, I researched it locally and determined that the values held by Masons was something I could identify with and wished to emulate in my own affairs.
To discover that it was only BS for some was disconcerting for me, but, as I saw it, each brother is a work in progress, however, when the “my way or the highway” attitude permeated the officers and policies of the lodge, it became a different matter. For some, it is irrelevant, others it is not. But the main point to get, which I hope all who follow this thread realize, is that our actions reflect upon the Fraternity as a whole and they also affect others by shaping their attitudes and opinions about Freemasonry.
It is not a social club.

Winter

Premium Member
It is not a social club.

Freemasonry absolutely has always included the social aspect as part of the Craft. You would be correct in saying that Freemasonry is not, or should not be, only a social club.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
JustJames said:
It alway [SIC] surprises me how rarely any brother asks what the GAOTU wants from Freemasonry.
Why should this not surprise us?
JustJames said:
In fact I do not recall any Freemason ever asking that.
This is odd since you have already claimed how surprised you always are about "how rarely any brother asks what the GAOTU wants from Freemasonry"? Are Brothers now not Freemasons?
JustJames said:
If Freemasonry is a human institution for humans, then there is no regret for its rapid decline in most parts of the world.
A bold conclusion...
JustJames said:
If however Freemasonry was established for the management of the temple that extends from E to W, N to S and from the center of the Earth to the Heavens, then it has been a great disappointment ....
<sigh> great claims require equally great evidence...
JustJames said:
...to the Widow.
To what exact "Widow" do you refer?
JustJames said:
Fortunately humans born since 1995 have a much better awareness of that responsibility
LOL! right... The same generation that believes paying carbon taxes, building huge windmills whose constructions and destructions pump more carbon into the environment and landfills than they will prevent, and endorsing EVs that require power from carbon based power plants to recharge (not to mention lithium strip mining), will fix everything...
JustJames said:
...- and have started with management of the planetary ecosystem.
At age 61, shall we all assume that you are guiding that after 1995 group?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Like I stated, I have no issue with bars in lodges, and I am still an active member of my lodge (which does not have a bar)
…..

Freemasonry seems to moving toward the definition of a social club driven by popularity instead of mutual respect fo opposing opinions.

But Freemasonry has always had the social element as a prominent aspect. The first GL was founded in a tavern. My UGLE lodge met in taverns. The buildings still have bars where we spend time after a meeting. I point this out not because it is a bar, but to demonstrate the social aspect.

As to being driven by popularity, I certainly agree that was the case in the first half of the 20th C. It has not been the case for some 60 years.

Winter

Premium Member
It alway surprises me how rarely any brother asks what the GAOTU wants from Freemasonry. In fact I do not recall any Freemason ever asking that.
If Freemasonry is a human institution for humans, then there is no regret for its rapid decline in most parts of the world.

Since we do not have any claim that a Freemason came down from a mountain carrying a mandate from the Great Architect to create our organization I think we can safely conclude that Freemasonry is a human institution. With religious foundations and ideals to be sure. Do you have some evidence to the contrary that it was not humans that created Freemasonry? And your lack of regret for Freemasonry's decline if it is a human institution is sad. As if anything humans could create is not worth preserving.

If however Freemasonry was established for the management of the temple that extends from E to W, N to S and from the center of the Earth to the Heavens, then it has been a great disappointment to the Widow.

Management implies that this universal temple has a clerical hierarchy. Are they hiring? :) My comment is tongue in cheek since your posts often tend ignore the accepted allegorical nature of the teachings in Freemasonry in favor of a more literal interpretation. And who exactly is this Widow with a capital W?

Fortunately humans born since 1995 have a much better awareness of that responsibility - and have started with management of the planetary ecosystem.

I'm drawing a blank on the 1995 reference. The only thing I can come up with is that Waterworld was released in theaters and was heralded as a warning on environmental protections needed to avert global disaster.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
….

I'm drawing a blank on the 1995 reference. The only thing I can come up with is that Waterworld was released in theaters and was heralded as a warning on environmental protections needed to avert global disaster.
Likely a reference to Generation Z.

Winter

Premium Member
Likely a reference to Generation Z.
Ah. That makes sense. There has been a dramatic uptick in making everything relate to environmental issues since then. I still stand by my Waterworld theory though. :D

Winter

Premium Member
There is plenty of evidence for those that wish to look. You will recall that the Widow Isis and her deceased husband Osiris were brother and sister and often depicted as serpents. She is alleged to have come from Sirius - the Blazing Star
Here they are again founding China as brother and sister
Here are the square and compasses, knee to knee, hand over back, and the sun, moon and stars
Can you find Masonic references in South America, and in the rituals of the Australian Aborigines. Where do they say they got those practices?

Nice picture. Not Freemasonry. Pretending that the Craft is any older than the late Middle Ages/Early Renaissance at the very earliest is wishful thinking at the best and cannot be supported no matter how much you want it to be true. The fact that our Order has adopted symbols used by earlier cultures and religions in no way implies or proves an origin in/of/or contemporary to those groups. Are you asserting that Freemasonry existed in prehistory as a divinely ordained mystical group that gave a common set of symbols to developing civilizations? You have to realize how ridiculous that theory is to legitimate Masonic scholars and historians.