My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the end really near for freemasonry ?

Elexir

Just my opinion... I personally don't see a need for alcohol to be social at lodge.

I don't drink alcohol at all but I look at it from a distance.
Where is the harm if brothers want to have a beer/whiskey/wine prior to/after lodge as long as it's done responsible.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
Nothing wrong with having an opinion at all. Unless you demand that others follow your opinion as a condition of your continued participation in the group. That stance is why you likely keep getting push back on the subject.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Since GL here is unlikely to change that rule, I have nothing to worry about. Sorry you seem to like beating a dead horse.

Winter

Premium Member
Since GL here is unlikely to change that rule, I have nothing to worry about. Sorry you seem to like beating a dead horse.
I didn't bring this topic back up in this thread. I'm responding to your post, who responded to someone else. So whose the real one keeping it going? :) As for your GL not budging, never say die. I guarantee there are more Brothers in your jurisdiction than you think that wouldn't mind seeing the ridiculously nonsensical Prohibition era rules voted out as they should have been done long ago.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Brother Rogers

It seems as if the subject of alcohol brings up strong feelings. My strong preference is for dry lodges, and the Alabama GL's alcohol policy was a contributing factor to my decision to petition. Now, the Texas GL's alcohol policy is a contributing factor to my wife giving me a kitchen pass to attend lodge. Heck, seeing all the alcohol at the Shrine temple was the reason I didn't join the Shrine (I had already petitioned and paid the initiation fee, but I just couldn't go through with it).

I doubt the GL of Texas would ever change its policy. But if I did I would be a little upset, but rather than summarily dimitting, I would seek out like-minded brothers and pursue founding a temperance lodge, working within the rules and applying the trowel.

Bloke

Premium Member
It seems as if the subject of alcohol brings up strong feelings. My strong preference is for dry lodges, and the Alabama GL's alcohol policy was a contributing factor to my decision to petition. Now, the Texas GL's alcohol policy is a contributing factor to my wife giving me a kitchen pass to attend lodge. Heck, seeing all the alcohol at the Shrine temple was the reason I didn't join the Shrine (I had already petitioned and paid the initiation fee, but I just couldn't go through with it).

I doubt the GL of Texas would ever change its policy. But if I did I would be a little upset, but rather than summarily dimitting, I would seek out like-minded brothers and pursue founding a temperance lodge, working within the rules and applying the trowel.
As an aside, alcohol can be served in our lodges, but we have "wet" lodges which serve alcohol and "dry" lodges which don't. Sounds like you would expect that to develop with a change of rules. These dry lodges are a legacy from the temperance movement.. but are becoming few in number. While both my lodges are "wet" it disappointing to me that the option of joining a dry lodge is becoming less and less common. For me, variety in lodges is one of the strengths of Freemasonry. .. or more correctly, lodges who are able to meet the laudable goals of their members..

valiant4338

Need? No, a bar isn’t needed. But as a convenient place to chat and enjoy one another’s comp, it’s great.

My buildings in England have bars. I don’t drink. I still enjoy my time there.
May I ask why you feel so strongly on the subject that you would stop atten same in Sweden nearly all lodges have bars I dont drink but enjoy to sit down and have achat