Is this a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'Becoming a Freemason' started by Awelton, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mxr200

mxr200 Registered User

Has anyone not had a home interview and went to the lodge and was accepted as a member? I would think it should not be a problem if you and your wife are willing to meet them at a lodge.

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry Pro

Ethan W likes this.
  2. The Traveling Man

The Traveling Man Registered User

The home visit by the Investigation Committee is part of Masonic Custom and Law. The only time, at least in my Jurisdiction, when a home visit isn't required is when the Lodge does not have an Investigation Committee in place.

3. Derek Harvey

Derek Harvey Registered User

They didn't come to my house. Yes I do actually live in one lol.

tldubb likes this.
  4. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

It's common now in the two craft lodges I am a member of to have candidates come alone to our lodge building or another convenient location. 13 years ago, I was not interviewed in my home but in the lodge building... but i was no stranger to my proposer...

5. Winter

Winter Premium Member

When I petitioned twenty years ago I was a young 20 something bachelor fresh out of the military. My roommate and I were both petitioning the local Lodge and an interview in the home was required. I don't think our place had ever been so spotless as it was for that interview!

I think the home visit is important for the investigative process, not necessarily for whether you dust every day, but because a great deal about a person can be seen by how they keep their private space. And since a person's character is one of the most important factors, this becomes an excellent tool. Does the petitioner have the Turner Diaries on the coffee table? Does it look like they are not financially stable enough to meet the obligation to the Lodge? Do they have a meth lab in their living room?

But I know many jurisdictions do not have home visits for petitioners and I don't knock them for that.

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

6. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I met the committee at a restaurant. None of my lodges do a home visit

7. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

When I petitioned I was living in a shared house with minimal control over the public spaces... the committee met with me in the lodge library, where I had spent many Saturday mornings already.

8. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

I am on the investigating committee, I prefer to meet a star bucks...not so intrusive, and u can get a beverage

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

My investigation committee came to my home, but I've been on a lot of investigation committees that met the guy and his wife at lodge after a family dinner.

10. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

My lodge didn't do a home visit. I went to the lodge on their committee evening and had an interview there. It was all quite relaxed and friendly.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

11. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

So, in your jurisdiction a home visit is required by code or edict?

12. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Not required here Glen.

13. Derinique Kendrick

Derinique Kendrick Registered User

You can get a beverage at the home as well, that is of course if the petitioner has common courtesy lol

14. The Traveling Man

The Traveling Man Registered User

In my Constitution it states that an Investigation Committee will be assigned to each petitioner unless the Lodge does not have an Investigation Committee. Looking at it again, it doesn't specifically state that it must be done at home. So from a technical standpoint perhaps it could be somewhere else. I'd have to ask my Secretary if there are any cases where it was done outside of the home.

15. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

In both California and Illinois I could not find it in the GL code/law book. In both I found it in the training booklet for examination committees. That makes it some sort of regulation that has a lower rank than a GL code.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  16. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I'm not sure if a "home" visit is required here in Kentucky or not. Nothing in the Monitor.

17. Chris Hill

Chris Hill Registered User

It does depend on who's in your jurisdiction and how the master of the lodge feels about it. While I doubt they would have an issue with your person stance on people coming to your house, they may invite you and your wife to a public place in order to talk to her as well. Although it's not mandatory, it could raise suspicion if you are incredibly secretive.

18. Awelton

Awelton Premium Member

I don't mean to come off like I've got something to hide. I realize it is almost unheard of for any of you to worry about letting a brother in your home. You have to remember that I am not yet a mason, therefore these are not yet my brothers. I went and had coffee with the WM and a few other guys tonight, and it really put me at ease. They all seem like great guys and I think we will get along just fine. It sounds like they are perfectly fine with meeting my wife and I over dinner or even at the lodge.

So the answer is no, it's not a deal breaker. Thank you for all the replies.

dfreybur likes this.
  19. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Sounds good ! :)

20. drw72

drw72 Premium Member

As we have been receiving petitions from more working/family and military men (25-40 yrs. old), we have started doing the visit location based on convenience. We give the petitioner(s) the choice and work it out based on their schedule as well as our own.

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry