My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a deal breaker?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
As we have been receiving petitions from more working/family and military men (25-40 yrs. old), we have started doing the visit location based on convenience. We give the petitioner(s) the choice and work it out based on their schedule as well as our own.
Sounds like a good plan.

hiram357

It seems like the answer is in the original post. Meet in the backyard over lemonade...this at the very least satisfies the spirit, if not letter of the law, if, in fact such a requirement exists in that jurisdiction.

king82

I'm not sure if a "home" visit is required here in Kentucky or not. Nothing in the Monitor.
Not required up to the committee. We have done both ways but if I had to guess as soon as u said u don't want a home visit we proilly would want one. To maybe find out why and how u treat a future brother in that situation.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Not required up to the committee. We have done both ways but if I had to guess as soon as u said u don't want a home visit we proilly would want one. To maybe find out why and how u treat a future brother in that situation.
Understandable.

Joseph Thornton

Personal perspective as I was recently investigated.

I was offered the option to meet at the lodge or my home. I was glad to have them come to my home. It shows a small expression of openness and honesty. I am not an affluent man. We don't have a lot to offer in the way of wealth to Freemasonry or anyone else. But we do share what we have. By bringing the committee into my apartment (that my family and I rent) I can show full disclosure about exactly what my level of income / social status is. And the Freemasons can decide for themselves whether or not I am still fit to meet their expectations.

For this same reason, I've worn a kilt to every pre-lodge dinner I've attended while awaiting my time period to petition. I have some Celtic / Christian tattoos on my legs. I wanted them to be aware of the kilts and tattoos so IF there was any problem, they would not be deceived. I didn't want to appear one way in lodge, and then be seen in a different way if spotted in the community.

For the record, nothing has been held against me and I will be initiated in about 10 days from now. I can enter the fraternity knowing I held nothing back and hid nothing. And I was still accepted just the way I am.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Personal perspective as I was recently investigated.

I was offered the option to meet at the lodge or my home. I was glad to have them come to my home. It shows a small expression of openness and honesty. I am not an affluent man. We don't have a lot to offer in the way of wealth to Freemasonry or anyone else. But we do share what we have. By bringing the committee into my apartment (that my family and I rent) I can show full disclosure about exactly what my level of income / social status is. And the Freemasons can decide for themselves whether or not I am still fit to meet their expectations.

For this same reason, I've worn a kilt to every pre-lodge dinner I've attended while awaiting my time period to petition. I have some Celtic / Christian tattoos on my legs. I wanted them to be aware of the kilts and tattoos so IF there was any problem, they would not be deceived. I didn't want to appear one way in lodge, and then be seen in a different way if spotted in the community.

For the record, nothing has been held against me and I will be initiated in about 10 days from now. I can enter the fraternity knowing I held nothing back and hid nothing. And I was still accepted just the way I am.
Sure, but did you tell them of which clan you are a member? :))

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I prefer doing investigations at the lodge. I am our lodge historian, and I like giving tours and talking about the history. This also gives a chance to show the candidate and his family if they come along a chance to see there is nothing about a Masonic lodge that isn't above board.

We have one member who this drives nuts. "Oh you can't let them see the lodge before they are members." He'll even take this so far as meaning in between degrees. When I point out that it doesn't change from EA to FC to MM and that we have at least two events annually that are open to the public, he his response is "Ummmmmmm." :cool:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I prefer doing investigations at the lodge. I am our lodge historian, and I like giving tours and talking about the history. This also gives a chance to show the candidate and his family if they come along a chance to see there is nothing about a Masonic lodge that isn't above board.

We have one member who this drives nuts. "Oh you can't let them see the lodge before they are members." He'll even take this so far as meaning in between degrees. When I point out that it doesn't change from EA to FC to MM and that we have at least two events annually that are open to the public, he his response is "Ummmmmmm." :cool:
We don't allow candidates to see the Lodge before initiation.

Joseph Thornton

Sure, but did you tell them of which clan you are a member?

I'm from Mississippi originally so everyone knows I am in the Ku Klux...... (just kidding) ;)

I have been asked by many lodge members and their spouses which clan I am in. Truth is I have no clan affiliation. I can still choose one though.

Joseph Thornton

we have at least two events annually that are open to the public

Yeah, I was taken into the lodge the very first time I showed up and introduced to the Secretary (it was dues night and there was a line of members doing lodge business). Where he took down all of my information as well as who all I had met so we knew who could vouch for me when the time came. (which is now)

I have also attended a couple of events in the lodge open to the public. There are also plenty of appendant bodies that use the lodge for their meetings. And some lodges even rent out their space. I personally had not expected to be invited into the lodge. I felt like it was a rare honor. But it seems that viewing the room before set up is not so secret.

Bloke

Premium Member
....We have one member who this drives nuts. "Oh you can't let them see the lodge before they are members." He'll even take this so far as meaning in between degrees. When I point out that it doesn't change from EA to FC to MM and that we have at least two events annually that are open to the public, he his response is "Ummmmmmm."
clear.png

I don’t like showing potential candidates the lodge room but know its a good tool to recruit when well explained. I've gone as far as to say on an mixed night - all the girls can come up stairs to see the lodge room, but recommend candidates or men considering freemasonry do not... I dont know... I show a lot of people our lodge room - I've shown 3 through this week alone - the first public day I ran I got 500 non-freemasons to turn up... I'm like you, I know the history of how it was built and by who and when etc etcc and can name the names on many of the plaques without looking at them. but I still think it is a special moment when you see a lodge for the first time during an initiation.... but I would not let not showing a cowan get in the way of signing up a worthy man....

Companion Joe

Premium Member
It would kind of defeat the purpose of having a public open house to introduce people to Freemasonry (*wink, wink, nod, nod, recruiting tool) and say, "But if you think you might ever actually want to join, you can't come in." Our Grand Lodge building is on the main thoroughfare in Nashville and open daily for public tours. The George Washington Masonic Memorial is a collection of lodge rooms that are open to the public. Our annual officer installation is in the lodge room and open to the public; more than once we have received petitions from brothers/cousins/friends/etc. of new officers because they got a glimpse of Masonry.

Until the three great lights are displayed and the lodge is sealed, I see no reason not to show someone around. I even go as far as to open the door on the night of a guy's EA and say, "You are going to be blindfolded, but look, there are no holes in the floor and nothing you are going to step on. Relax, and listen to what is being said to you."

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
It would kind of defeat the purpose of having a public open house to introduce people to Freemasonry (*wink, wink, nod, nod, recruiting tool) and say, "But if you think you might ever actually want to join, you can't come in." Our Grand Lodge building is on the main thoroughfare in Nashville and open daily for public tours. The George Washington Masonic Memorial is a collection of lodge rooms that are open to the public. Our annual officer installation is in the lodge room and open to the public; more than once we have received petitions from brothers/cousins/friends/etc. of new officers because they got a glimpse of Masonry.

Until the three great lights are displayed and the lodge is sealed, I see no reason not to show someone around.
My home Lodge (Wharton #621) donated our old furniture to Point Isabel #33 when they were finally constituted in 2008. Subsequently they received another set of furniture. The set we gave them is displayed in the Port Isabel Museum, as a simulated Lodgeroom representing the history of Masonry in the Rio Grande Valley.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I'm from Mississippi originally so everyone knows I am in the Ku Klux...... (just kidding) ;)

I have been asked by many lodge members and their spouses which clan I am in. Truth is I have no clan affiliation. I can still choose one though.
Why do you wear a kilt? Which tartan do you wear?

Joseph Thornton

Why do you wear a kilt? Which tartan do you wear?

Because they are comfortable. Because I like em. I've done a DNA test that shows I am in fact Celtic.

But why do I need a Clan to wear a kilt? Or a reason? I have already been accepted into the Clan of Freemasons! BTW Freemasonry does have a registered tartan. I hope to own one.

Which one do I wear? I have several unregistered or "open" tartans. And one Black Watch. Which is the most popular selling tartan worldwide.